It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Minimum Character Count For Replies.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wasnt' it just a few days ago, there was a big discussion regarding quality over quanity??.soooo.....that was a waste, i'm all for mods removing and giving warnings for crap post, but telling us how much space we can use to make our point...not a fan.........not a fan

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cranberrydork

This is the posts that we are talking about that need to be delt with. Is it too hard to discuss this like an adult.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Looks like the code is now changed and acting differently. At least that corrects some of the difficulty, that with quoted posts.

link   

Originally posted by Springer

Seriously, this is not a big deal so please, give us a chance to get it working through all the servers and then bask in the sweet light of genuine discussion...

Springer...

Have you not read the posts in this thread? The genuine concerns and points that have been made? The discussion and discourse that has occured?

Sounds like you're saying 'simmer down kids, you have no say at all, now run along and play with your new oddly shaped ball that none of you really like'. I'm sure it's not that at all. Fairly sure...

link   
reply to post by Springer

Hey Springer I have another idea that I think would help ATS's content.

Most people like to post without reading the entire thread. So multiple people will say the same thing that someone else already said, and it derails the thread because you have to keep repeating things over and over even after you have already moved past a certain point.

What I think would be interesting is to have a button on every single reply that someone makes, marked "Read" or "Not Read", and the "Submit Reply" button would be deactivated until the person clicks that "read" button on every post in the thread.

Even if someone doesn't want to read every post, they would at least have to skim through each post and click the "read" button before they can post a "reply". So maybe repliers eyes will notice their question or comment has already been mentioned.

On larger threads that have 100's of replies, maybe there could be a minimum of at least 2 posts on each page that would have to be checked as "read" , in order to post. Maybe the first post and last post of each page would have to be marked as "read" before you can reply.

It would probably require some writes to cookies that counts the posts you have marked "read" in order to keep track.

There is a few things to over come to make this work flawlessly without it being to labor intensive for readers. But it would revolutionise the way forums work.

Maybe even just have an option for thread starters to choose if they want to implement the above idea on their thread or not. So some threads will require someone to check or "read" every post before the Submit Reply button is activated, and other threads will just be normal.

I don't know, crazy idea I guess.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm still an ATS rookie. The reason why I joined this site is because of the quality of the members, the dedication of the moderators and the ATS staff. Anything which improves quality is well worth considering.

200 characters is not a lot and looking back at my own previous posts, most, if not all are over the limit.

Give it a chance, as Springer said, it's no big deal.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Everyone take a DEEP BREATH...

Thank you...

We implemented this on a Sunday for a reason...

(it's the slowest traffic day of the week) and in the hope we'd have the time to perfect the code and implimetation...

The new policy is being instituted on 'Easter Sunday'...
and being the CT'er i am... i don't buy your explaination about it being a 'slow traffic day'... i suspect something with 'Illuminist' underpinnings

Besides... ATS with this policy is structuring in a form of Hyper-Inflation... by demanding more Character Capital as a Fee to use the site.
Ergo...

ATS must be in cahoots with the Fed/Treas in their Inflationary policies which is trying to create an everyday acceptance of inflation/hyperinflation as normal !

~state your name/rank/SSN in 100 characters or more! ~

thanks folks, & smile

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Dam... We've been caught in the act!

Springer...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Vector J

Of COURSE I've read the bloody thread.

The concerns are NOT REAL... (short of having to post 200 measly characters) The code is being WORKED ON.

Springer...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 0nce 0nce

Lol, nice try and i see where you are heading with that but oh god no, some threads would take hours to get through and you might have something relevant to the conversation happening at the time, so NO.
As to the post count, well 100 is better i can live with that easily, but isnt it these little sacrifices that add up in the end and what half this site moans about all day, freedom of speech, liberty and all that jazz.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

This isn't a conversation, it's a contradiction.

Yes, it is.

Point made.

ATS, wants in my opinion, meaningful and thought out conversations, instead of constant bickering over simple little things that detract from the real issues, that people love to come to ATS to discuss.

To deny ignorance, is to make conversation, and not let bi-partisan bickering, name calling, baiting, to sidetrack into nonsensical blathering of the droll and inane.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Springer...

57 characters...

You're in violation of your own rules.

[edit on 4/12/2009 by defcon5]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
What is the difference in your post and his? Both used a filler.
SO said specificaly that adding characters would not be accepted.‍‍
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Well thanks, it's nice to be told that your opinion doesn't matter. I'm sure the lovely people who've been posting in here will be relieved to know that their concerns are not in fact real.

This is the first illusary thread i've been part of. Neat.

But in all seriousness, you don't agree with the points raised about a valid contribution being able to be made in a number of characters that is less than whatever lower limit you set? I think people have made some great points and provided solid examples of times when that really would be an issue.

If we are totally overthinking this and missing something obvious, please could you explain why nothing we've said is of concern? I fully admit that I might not be totally on the ball tonight, having been fairly consistently liquored up today!...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I am sorry that all of us may not be as vernacularly adept as others and our common folk language is not respectable.

Had to edit for that reason

[edit on 12-4-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vector J

Seriously, this is not a big deal so please, give us a chance to get it working through all the servers and then bask in the sweet light of genuine discussion...

Springer...

Have you not read the posts in this thread? The genuine concerns and points that have been made? The discussion and discourse that has occured?

Sounds like you're saying 'simmer down kids, you have no say at all, now run along and play with your new oddly shaped ball that none of you really like'. I'm sure it's not that at all. Fairly sure...

So none of the posts made make any difference? Comments from the people that allow this forum to thrive ? I 'm to allow the ambiguous and arbitrary process of implementing this basakwords censorship continue without an opinion? This really makes me question this site, NOT the members, just what the admins,owners agenda is . OK, I took a deep breath. This forum was the last bastion of people allowed to use their own God-given common sense. Not now. Rather than police the offenders who exploit loopholes rather than abide by conform to the common accepted norm and intent of this site. Thhrow a blanket on everyone, deny cogent commentary! Ok, I'll go to facebook. Talk about killing the golden goose...

[edit on 4/12/09 by scooterstrats]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
I think the point ATS is attempting to make with this particular thread, is that they desire actual quality, thought out, and succinct replies, to ATS'ers.
The point I am trying to make is that I desire quality, thought out and effective code.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Appears the copy and paste issues has been resolved. Thanks!

However, we have posting rules within the 'Voyages' collaborative writing thread. The 'rules of posting in an epic' will need to be modified and they are contra to new ATS rules namely, this rule:

Otherwise members may post more frequently, if such posts are 150 words or less of new text.

I've brought this to attention in the Voyages working thread and I'm sure we will find a way to :shivers at the word: conform.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I can accept that, as do all of us ATS'ers. The Admin is getting it under control though. Lighten up.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Springer...

57 characters...

Your in violation of your own rules.

Indeed. Practice what you preach, please.

So what did you think of the proposed "Zero Contribution" addition to the T&C? You seemed to have dismissed it quite quickly, would you care to elaborate a little on why you think it's a bad idea?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join