It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the music die?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Drexl

We often dismiss people with exceptional talent because of the way they look.

We could even make an excuse for our behavior if we had not been proved wrong over and over again.

Yet we are still guilty of judging people on how they look often preventing them opportunity to show us just how great they really are.

How many other remarkable people are living among us who are afraid to step up to the podium because they know what we think of them and how they will be treated?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I think it might have been set up by the tv station to make it look like a tragedy was about to be performed . The way they panned across the audience showing the rolled eyes and skeptical expressions before she started to sing . She must have had some kind of audition beforehand and those tv people knew she was going to blow them away . That crowd went from an almost jeering mob to standing to applause after the first line of the song.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think sports have wiped out, music and theater in schools. It seems like sports are the main focus these days. It must be more beneficial for kids to be competitive and aggressive.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by trustnobody
I think sports have wiped out, music and theater in schools. It seems like sports are the main focus these days. It must be more beneficial for kids to be competitive and aggressive. Peace
Trustnobody

I think that this is due in part to two things.

One is money. Sports bring in a lot of money to the schools.

The second is community participation.

You can fill a stadium with cheering and jeering fans but how many people turn out to watch the children play a concert?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am not sure who to blame for the music today or lack of it. Up until the early 90's musicians actually played instruments and wrote their own music. I am talking about all music, including pop/top 40's/soft rock etc.

Nowadays boy/girl bands are constructed by the record producers. It is all so manufactured and over produced. Even Disney is in on the packaging with the likes of highschool musical, jonas bros, hannah etc.

You also have rap/hip hop etc. which are more so called musicians who do not play anything but computer generated riffing or plain lifting and looping.

Another thing that gets on my nerves is the type of packaging. The Britney's, Christina's etc etc etc. These are "video" products. Popular Musicians are selected first on their looks. If you are ugly forget about a career in music unless you are a gangster or have a good potential for bad boyism.

This has been completely exposed by shows like american idol. They always select the kids who have potential to be packaged up like the rest of them.

It was great to see this woman on Britains got talent. Everyone looked at her and thought to themselves, oh great look at this one.....Then bam

The problem though, is that everyone seems so surprised that a not so good looking person can sing... Oh my god!!! how is that possible!

Real music may not die, but it will venture underground where it will stay and has stayed for a while until kids decide again that its cool because its underground.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

Real music may not die, but it will venture underground where it will stay and has stayed for a while until kids decide again that its cool because its underground.

Music is and has been controlled for a long time by music industry. If this was the only thing that big corporations controlled then I would consider us blessed but unfortunately they control everything that we buy.

Underground music was the music that was either forbidden or segregated.

People that had a passion for music always managed to find their way to the green door or to the alley.

The beauty of being able to make music whether it comes from a violin or a tin can is an experience that every child should have.

All of them will not take up an instrument but at least the seed should be planted.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Music will never die, if it did so will all art.

Music is struggling in my opinion because of the money involved, seems to me they are bleeding it dry. It's unbelievable what's in the charts today considering there are so many great musicians out there. But they can't even get signed due to the publics demand of musical drivel.

It's slowly getting better thankfully

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Music cannot die. It's immortal.

No matter how hard the huge corporations are trying to kill it, it's still out there. Real people playing the hell out of real instruments.

You just have to look harder for it. You won't find it on the radio, or on TV. You have to look elsewhere. I find lots of good music here. Also by actually going out and listening to local, unknown bands.

It's hard these days, because most of what's out there is either pre-packaged pop, rap, or screamo crap. But don't give up hope. There are still excellent, creative musicians in the world, and there always will be.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I really don't think music will ever die, and just because new musicians are pouring crap into the charts these days doesn't mean you can't go back and listen to the music you love from a different time, even if you have to go back to Mozart or Bach.

Someone in this thread said that a sport event will fill a stadium but a concert wont, but I beg to differ I have played the clarinet with an orchestra and a small band for about seven years and have played in many small and large concerts and I can assure you the places are always over-booked and packed, and not just by parents or relatives.

It's also nothing to do with the area you live in, that only well-to-do areas have music schools etc. I could not begin to list the amount of social problems in my town with regards to all sorts of illegal substances, vandalism, but half of the people I know who get up to those sort of things play the guitar, bass, piano, saxophone, trumpet etc. Jamming sessions occur as commonly as other types of sessions...

I don't think music is dead or even dying I just think people are looking for it in the wrong places... maybe they're not the best places but still they got some damn fine music.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
When you consider that kids still think 90s music is cool, I would say it already has!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

i guess im just lucky because i go to a small school of about 50 to 60 students. we have a guitar class and i have had just about every term

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boomhower

i guess im just lucky because i go to a small school of about 50 to 60 students. we have a guitar class and i have had just about every term

You are lucky. Not just because your school has given you the gift to make music but you also have the ability to give your soul a voice.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I can honestly say, I would not be able to live without music.

To me, it's the most important thing in the world.

There's no better way to express one's self than through music.

On that note, I think I'll go play some guitar

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The begining of planned social and cultural degeneration that started in the early 60s was lead almost primarily by the music industry, and fueled by drugs, sexual deviancy and occultic new age mysticism.

Granted many great pieces of musical artistry have come out of it over the years!

But the dress styles, values, habits, and general attitude of the various social cliques of highschool kids is almost directly dictated to them by the musical style they listen to.

The scary part is the main targets in this are the young and impressionable!

[edit on 16-4-2009 by mostlyspoons]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
The begining of planned social and cultural degeneration that started in the early 60s was lead almost primarily by the music industry, and fueled by drugs, sexual deviancy and occultic new age mysticism.

Granted many great pieces of musical artistry have come out of it over the years!

But the dress styles, values, habits, and general attitude of the various social cliques of highschool kids is almost directly dictated to them by the musical style they listen to.

The scary part is the main targets in this are the young and impressionable!

[edit on 16-4-2009 by mostlyspoons]

It hasn't changed.

The children are still the target and the music industry is still using their affinity to music as a weapon to snare them and put them at odds with their parents.

This is older than the jitter bug, grinding, rock and roll and jive.

They know that teenagers reach an age of natural rebellion and they take advantage of this time to make some big bucks.

It is a very effective and lucrative strategy that will continue as long as they are making money.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Indeed! They only perfect their methods of exploitation more and more with each generation of foolish youngsters. I think they not only take advantage of teenage rebellion, but also help to instigate it. Then they simply offer the counter-cultural alternative... hook line and sinker.

Just look at the hippies, the greasers, the gangstas, the rockers, the metalheads, the goths, and the emos. They all were completely manipulated into adopting a lifestyle they saw in a music video, all manufactured for them by the music industry.

I think youre correct, anywhere a profit is to be made off someone, you can bet that greedy people will be there to line their pockets...

And I literally mean ANYWHERE... Any dark avenue for money-making that you can think up, be assured that some slimeball is there gettin rich

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I think music is already dead. A better question - WHEN did music die?

I would say around 2000.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The children are still the target and the music industry is still using their affinity to music as a weapon to snare them and put them at odds with their parents.

I used to play in a punk band, I wrote most of the songs. I have to admit most of my songs where about sex, drugs, Satan, and anarchy. I actually think that image has been lost, and replaced with a cleaner more sterile content. That is why the music bad and mindless. Not many musicians dare to push the limits of what is consider socially acceptable. I don't think music is dead though. There is still a lot of great music out there, just have to look for it.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by trustnobody

I actually think that image has been lost, and replaced with a cleaner more sterile content. That is why the music bad and mindless. Not many musicians dare to push the limits of what is consider socially acceptable.

You have got to be kidding, right?

Have you listened to some of the crap that is out there?

I was taking my niece to school a couple of months ago and I turned beet red after hearing the lyrics to some song she was listening to.

I admit it gave me the opportunity to talk with her about being the master of her body and the importance of "teaching" people how to treat her but after hearing that song I would venture to say that there is no envelop left. It has been scorched and burned and some of these groups have left the galaxy.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by NightSkyeB4Dawn]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drexl
Anyone see that Susan Boyle video on youtube ? One that has 13 million views in the past few days . I was like everyone else .. thinking it was going to be something abysmal , then she comes up with something like that . Totally awesome singing .

I watched this the other night on the show itself, she was brilliant.
Just goes to show though, how many people are shallow and judgemental, trying to some someone up instantly by sterotype - very sad, I'l be interested in her progress and how they portray her in the future. This show is very clever on how they want yu to see and feel things. One thing i hate about shows like this is, is how they use music - especially sad music to appeal to the nation when using peoples background stories.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join