It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the music die?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I was thinking about how different our lives have become over the years and two things really weigh heavy on my mind. Both say a lot about our journey but are completely different so they deserve though own threads.

I want first to talk about music and how important it has been in our lives.

Every group of people in every country has some form of music. Music is used for a variety of situations and is often used as a tool as well as for personal enjoyment.

Yet music is something that is no longer taught. Most music programs in schools have been dropped; they claim because of lack of funds, but I wonder.

Even if a school does have a music program it is usually just a small band with the students given the option to learn to play the basic of instruments.

Try to find a school that offers children the option to learn to play the cello, the violin, the harp, the French horn, the oboe, the bassoon, etc.

I know that a schools can’t provide instruction in every instrument known to man but what happened to “teaching” the love of “making” music.

Our children are tethered to tiny electronic boxes that play music but they are passive participants.

It seems that the popularity of Guitar Hero would show us that our children want to be more than passive music listeners that they “want” to be active participants in the world of music but their choices are limited.

Why are we letting the music die?

[edit on 12-4-2009 by NightSkyeB4Dawn]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
One way of looking at it is from a spiritual point of view.

The left brain is the hemisphere which deals with mathematics, logic, etc, while the right brain deals with artistic influence and it's also the hemisphere which greatly helps humans connect to their spiritual selves and infinite consciousness. If the Elite can stop art programs and heave up left-brain stimulation, the right brain is diminished and infinity is more and more difficult to connect with.

All people can connect through their right brain, but it's difficult if the left brain keeps saying "that's not logical, it's not possible!" The Illuminati don't want a population of kids who are inspired to think about the universe, God, and spirituality through their artistic ability, and what's worse, if students are loaded down with ridiculous amounts of homework, there's no time to think because the fear of not doing well in life because of bad grades in school is so pervasive. Homework is entirely superfluous when you think about it: if schools are doing a good job educating students, why must school hack into free family time to continue education? School is all about indoctrination -- in one of my history classes, we're being taught the official story of 9/11... and you can't question the almighty textbooks, now can you?

Alfie Kohn wrote a book called The Homework Myth, which is actually quite well written and he cites more than 200 studies which point to the futility of homework.

My point is, music is an amazing way of expressing the self, as is any other form of art, and if it dies, then we have robot children, and no one wants that...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Music is a large part of community and socialization. It used to be a common occurrence for families to gather in the evenings and weekends and make music together.

Communities gathered on weekends to make music and children were encouraged to participate.

This communion of communal spirit and music kept us strong and gave us purpose. It would be a tragedy to allow this to become legend.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Well, I first got into music through my school's music department. I first learned how to play Violin in my Strings course. Later on through middle school I decided to take my music learning out of my school curriculum and take into a more private role. I still took Guitar and Music Theory classes all the way through High School though. I guess I can't speak on how music is leaving the classrooms, because I never saw that problem here, but I do understand its going on. A tragedy if I've ever seen one.

I'd have to disagree with the Guitar Hero statement. That is definitely taking an active role in music, if only through the magic of video games. Guitar Hero and Rock Band have been really successful in opening up a new generation of kids to true music, whereas without these games many of them probably would've just followed the flock and listened to Top 40 for the rest of their lives.

Maybe its just because I base my entire life around music, but in my opinion I'm seeing a great surge in musical talent and interest lately. Good post, S & F.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Many like Guitar hero, but don't have the discipline to actually learn how to play ''real'' guitar though (Which you can easily imagine, considering the difficulty of learning how to play real PROPER guitar, compared to playing a song on Guitar Hero on the ''extreme'' difficulty.)

So to say that because they play Guitar Hero means that music is long from dead, may not be so true.

Though I doubt that music will die. (Even though interest for certain instruments might be lower than other instruments)

The reverse is also true: An instrument being very popular, but unavailable due to high costs.

An example of the latter is the HANG.

The hang instrument

Edit: Fixed link.

[edit on 12/4/09 by -0mega-]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think music is important and has been around for centuries. Maybe not in the way that we perceive or understand or even consider "music" today...

Banging on drums, wooden instruments, etc...

The evolution of music (as someone has mentioned: Guitar Hero) has had me wondering if we are deteriorating the quality of music. Personally I think the digital sound killed anything good that might have happend in the late 80's and early 90's.

I believe the best music came from the 60's. It was real, it was done in one or two takes and people wrote their own songs. What is this deal with 5 lead singers - who DON'T play instruments...??

Even if SHTF and we were all thrown back into the stone age - I believe Music would be remembered and started over form the primitive times...

Back to banging on drums, humming and singing....

- Carrot

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I was thinking about how different our lives have become over the years and two things really weigh heavy on my mind. Both say a lot about our journey but are completely different so they deserve though own threads.

I want first to talk about music and how important it has been in our lives.

Every group of people in every country has some form of music. Music is used for a variety of situations and is often used as a tool as well as for personal enjoyment.

Yet music is something that is no longer taught. Most music programs in schools have been dropped; they claim because of lack of funds, but I wonder.

Even if a school does have a music program it is usually just a small band with the students given the option to learn to play the basic of instruments.

Try to find a school that offers children the option to learn to play the cello, the violin, the harp, the French horn, the oboe, the bassoon, etc.

I know that a schools can’t provide instruction in every instrument known to man but what happened to “teaching” the love of “making” music.

Our children are tethered to tiny electronic boxes that play music but they are passive participants.

It seems that the popularity of Guitar Hero would show us that are children want to be more than passive music listeners that they “want” to be active participants in the world of music but their choices are limited.

Why are we letting the music die?

I hate guitar hero, that thing just P@#$ me off. i walk by someone at walmart and comment "wow, dont you wish you could realy play that"

No the music will not die, only the wanabe's will die off. the true people that enjoy music and playing and making it will continue.
I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, and you can gurantee my lil one (1 now) will learn what i know and more.
I think we are in a lull music wise and we will see a new geneation emerge before long.
I love all types of music from classical to blues, to rock to rap. it ownt die, it will just get better in time.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I believe Guitar Hero has had the opposite affect. I can name off a half dozen people I know who now own and play real guitars as a result of the game. If nothing else, Guitar Hero is reintroducing youth to Rock after rap has dominated the charts for the last decade.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Study Typography, Art, Graphic Design, Book Printing or even Book Binding, and yes Music. Many techniques are not used commonly anymore, but others have been invented.. all part of what happened starting with the Industrial Revolution. I do think it's important to know the history of how things were done in history, but I don't think it's a bad thing that we use new technologies to do things differently. Study the history of PAINT --- that is pretty incredible!

Creativity is expressed using the tools that are available in the times we live in. The tools change, but art and creativity still happen - it is part of what people do - always have, always will!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tgautier13

I think you misunderstood.

I believe that Guitar Hero does show that our children "are" interested in being actively involved with making music.

The lack of funding, the lack of interested and capable instructors and the lack of discipline factor highly in the decrease in the number of children participating in music instruction.

You are lucky to have had the opportunity to begin you instruction in a school where the instruments and the instructors were available. I hope that more parents realize just how much is lost if they continue to allow music to be cut from the schools.

Music is more than a group of melodious noted grouped together to make a pleasant sound.

Music is the language of our soul.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I don't think the music will die, it means too much to people. I do agree with you though, music could be taught better in schools.
Not sure how it works now, but back when i was a kid (80's) if you was interedsted in playing an instrument at infant/junior school, then you had to qualify to do so as there would usually be only one or two places, and your parents had to be able to afford it too. Just left many kids who desperatley wanted to learn really disappointed and frustrated. If your parents were't into music and wasn't interested in your interests then you really lucked out.

Hopefully with todays tech they can solve these problems and allow all kids access to instruments and lessons. I have seen quite a few youtube vids giving step by step lessons, but would be better if it didn't have to come from the public to make this happen.

By the way your thread tiltle reminded me of a song

[edit on 12-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
My School teachs the French horn and oboe and basoon i think.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AntiConspirator
My School teachs the French horn and oboe and basoon i think.

I doubt that your school is a public school and if it is it must be in a very well to do neighborhood. Either way consider yourself lucky and take advantage of the gift that you have been given.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Music is "THE" Universal Language.!

A huuuuuuuGE part of my life! I couldn't imagine life wiithout music!

I don't think music will ever die. Global Dominance could maybe suppress it, but I don't see an end 2 it. People will always hum.....or bang on a drum. Even if it did die, it would resurrect.
Maybe they'll end Country Music tho

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I don't know if music is dead, but Billy Bob Thornton's musical career in Canada is certainly dead after his bizarre radio stunt the other day.

Back to the issue at hand, media consolidation has also provided a helping hand in taking down the music industry. When you have one company owning numerous radio stations in most of the major markets, you end up hearing the same repetitive garbage on the radio. Without diversity and promotion of new emerging artists, the industry will continue to falter.

The bottom line is deregulation has destroyed the music industry, just like it has destroyed the banking and insurance industries. Do not expect anything to change anytime soon, since lawmakers only work for the interests of the powerful few.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben Niceknowinya

Music is "THE" Universal Language.!

Spot on, could not have put it any better myself

A huuuuuuuGE part of my life! I couldn't imagine life without music!

I don't think music will ever die. Global Dominance could maybe suppress it, but I don't see an end 2 it. People will always hum.....or bang on a drum. Even if it did die, it would resurrect.
Maybe they'll end Country Music tho

Just imagine what it would be like with no music - or even no birds singing - a very bland place - i think it would actually tip me over the edge

Thats the only thing i could think could possibly happen, limit what you have access too - but they could never actually take it away, like you say you can create your own tunes and the fact you can just listen to what you like in your head.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

One of the beauties of music is that you can find it in almost anything.

I smile when I remember how my little sister used to rock to the sound of the washing machine when my mother did the wash as if she heard a music that only she could hear.

Music is all around us and it speaks to our soul and yes it is universal. I would like to see it be more of a priority in the lives of our children.

The art of “making” music I fear is being lost. I would like every child to have the chance to be exposed to all musical instruments and given the opportunity to receive instruction in those that they would like to try to learn.

I know. I am a dreamer but it is a nice dream.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It’s a fact that nowadays most schools specializing in music cater for the elite – it is simply a luxury that most of us cannot afford. Even private music lessons are costly.

As parents we have the ability to instill the love of music in our children from a young age. We have the power and responsibility to keep it alive. Yes, most children might not have the opportunity to learn to play the violin and the harp, but they can learn to play an instrument, however simple it may be and their love of music can be nurtured.

I have led a band for the last eight years and did so right through my pregnancy of my youngest child. From the day we brought her home we had soft music playing in her room – she is now 5 and has an incredible passion for music. My teenage son leads a band and my eldest daughter has a wonderful gift of writing songs. Our home is filled with music - much to our neighbor's delight!

We come from a middle class background and have not had the privilege or opportunity to send our children to ‘music lessons’, but we have, through our love of music, created an environment/atmosphere within our home where our children’s love of music can be nurtured and their talents/gifts can be developed.

Music will never die, in fact it is what keeps me alive!

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Are you kidding?

Have you heard whats popular now days? Jonas brothers, hannah montana, camp rock and whatever other crappy artist there might be. Music has died. Its not creative or artistic or even nice to listen to anymore its just a bunch of crap.

Its been dead for awhile too. Since before Elvis and musicians of his status. Its all been the same for decades nothing but love this and broken heart that. The sixties brought some life back to music but after that it died a second time.

Music is for idiots now days. Much like everything else it seems.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Anyone see that Susan Boyle video on youtube ? One that has 13 million views in the past few days . I was like everyone else .. thinking it was going to be something abysmal , then she comes up with something like that . Totally awesome singing .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join