It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are being lied to about pirates

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Please read :
"Mercenaries, Pirates and Sovereigns" by Janice E Thomson.

Pirates stem from privateers who were private merchants, speculators, seeking their fortune, traders etc, who were authorised to seize ships of nations with whom the sovereign state was at war with (they were allowed to stake a claim to the ships and the bounties). When treatise were formed these Privateers were no longer needed yet still served a good purpose and were "dismissed" as pirates acting on their own about whom the sovereign could do little about.

This was brought to ahead in the war of independence (privateers actually won America their freedom - yes PIRATES) and Britain eventually agreed to outlaw the practice not because it benefited them to be rid of them, rather it benefited the British as it ensured greater control over the violence perpetrated by its citizens either against one another or externally - the PRIMARY definition of a sovereign state. Monopoly of legitimate violence. From Max Weber.
If you people are going to babble on about things you know little about - I may as well inject SOME truth into the flotsam jetsam.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bldrvgr

as we all can see you are one of those people who only believe what they can find on the internet, NO INTERNET IN 1991!!, and alot of people out here can remember these events from 20 years ago, those pirates you defend started out hijacking private citizens for ransom and worked their way up. its so funny to see someone only quoting what they read on the internet as gospel in regards to what is happening around them, no one is trying to spin or lie about past events, but not all of this will be found online!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Mogadishu..."the Seat of the Shah". These pirates are operatives of Reza Pahlavi and a part of the Jihadi Alliance. They are traitors!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by News And History

As others have stated, why would we dump hazmat materials right by Somalia and then harvest all the contaminated seafood? Wouldn't it be easier just to dump that stuff in the middle of the ocean. It just doesn't make sense.

I will need more proof of your claims.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yea, how ridiculous to think that there might be CRIMINALS in Somalia. That's just not possible, geeze..

While in Somalia, just like everywhere else on the planet, people take advantage of other people. That's nothing new. Criminals simply take advantage of whatever is available and feasible to them. Somalia borders a rather busy trade route, a whole lot of ships go through there, it's not a huge surprise that some criminals have taken to the water.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
For what it's worth I think the pirates are doing a superb job. They've stopped arms being shipped and at the same time they're getting international attention to the issue. Good going

Arms... like the 5,000 tons of relief aid that was on board the Maersk Alabama and destined for Kenya, Uganda, and yes... Somalia?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Okay, These pirates are liberators, and cool folks working for mother earth.

I don't think so.

They are these warlords that killed and ripp off their own country and their own people. They are no different than these mad dictators we see all over Africa.

Do you think pirates attack boats at large without having ''harvested''
their own folks first ????

US envoy has been targeted in Mogadichu, and you want us too believe that they are not connected with bandits in the capital, in a larger scale network ?

Some want us yo believe they attaked boats because they can't fish and face starvation ?

We all have seen these ''environnemental activist'' pirates, with 100, 000 $ speedboats, with two outboard 2100HP engines. In a country where the average folks don't gain more than 2 bucks a day.

They didn't look to skinny for ''starving'' folks, either.

Somalian people don't fish anymore, due to allegedly pollution.

Wouldn't be also but more probably by fear of pirates, who would loot fishermen, size their goods and boats, tax them for proctection scams ????

They are warlords who cares about their sole immediate needs, and IMHO they are an obstacle to any major improvement for Somalia and Somalians.

If they mainly want to learn to kill and steal, instead of reading and learning, they will be rewarded by their way of living and harvest what will have been grown.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't trust either side 100% in this fallacy but I do have 1 question...

If Somalia's waters were so "teeming with life" that other nations feel compelled to fish there then...how could so much of the population be starving?

If they have boats which they use to attack the targets of hijacking, they have boats which can be used to harvest food and feed their people.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by TXRabbit]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekerof

Those pirates go after any ships near their waters, they even tried to hijack a british cruise vessel. They just go after ships regardless of nationality. Of course the middle east, asian, and indian vessels have been hijacked, somilia is not far from a major shipping lane..europe or america don't have to use those as much as the aforementioned. lee anoma reply showcases what the west was doing.

As for my argument maybe i said it wrong or you took it in a way that i didn't to. Exploitation goes hand in hand with profit. In order for you to get paid well someone HAS to get the short end of the stick. It would be different if profits were trickled down to the low man on the totem pole but that don't happen..at least a majority of the time.

The world is taking advantage of those fishermen, so they are taking advantage of us..albeit in the wrong way but hell what do they care, they are just tryin to eat.

As for the news flash dictators dictation only lasts as long as he has the gun.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Lets show some compassion people. I think we should have Congress create a bailout package for the Somali Pirates. We can print some cash, buy them some cool pirate suits (Pirates of the Carribean style), and get them some cool pirate boats. It is just not morally right to have them driving around in those little ski boats. They need big wooden ships with sails. Maybe the folks at Disney could help design some good ones.

Maybe we could make up some cool bumper stickers for the pirate ships. Things like "we put the black back in black beard" or even better "we put the black back in black beards wife."
Now that's funny I dont care who you are.

Huck Finn, you are the best. If I took a crap and got hemmorhoids (sp?) you would find a way to tie it back to Reza Pehlavi and/or the Shah. I can never tell if its one guy or they are both the Shah. All I know is whoever they are, they really get under your skin. I hope one day you track him/them down so you and Tom Sawyer can whitewash their sorry............

[edit on 14-4-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's sad that people would take advantage of someone who is weak knowing how much harm they could cause.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CaveMan TeK

Who is weak the pirates or the men on the ship? I dont really understand your point. Sorry I am probably kinda slow. Could you please explain it to me.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Dont you know that this is all a cover story cooked up by the NWO. They just said it was food. It had to be guns. It was kind of an American ship and you know all that we Americans do is plot evil around the world. Our evil consuming population is robbing the rest of the world of everything. Just to prove it we killed all these nice little pirates who just wanted money for the ice cream truck. They didnt even have real guns. They were just nerf guns. Luckily the seals had the super cool nerf gun with the sniper scope

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Some of these posts on this thread cause me heartburn just reading them

Wake up, these are starving kids.

"Our latest hijackings were meant to show that no one can deter us from protecting our waters from the enemy because we believe in dying for our land,"

The latest seizures were the Lebanese-owned cargo ship MV Sea Horse, the Greek-managed bulk carrier MV Irene E.M. and two Egyptian fishing boats. Maritime officials said the Irene carried 21 to 23 Filipino crew and the International Maritime Bureau reported 36 fishermen, all believed to be Egyptian, on the two boats.

Source: news.yahoo.com...

What do you expect these people to do? Ya there are criminals in all countries, ya there are monsters and advantage takers in all groups of people. But these are none of the above. They are starving kids who are sick from poisoning. I rarely see such an insane level of ignorance on these forums but people posting against these pirates just make me so mad.

Look at there faces? There smiling because they are fighting for what they believe in. Out of the 30 pictures on this post I don't see one Somalian who looks evil. NOT ONE. You can see evil in a mans eyes. I see a since of satisfaction on there faces, even though they are going to jail for the rest of there lives.

Source: /d9xyxu

And how about the hijackers who didn't even make it back with money because they DIED OF RADIATION POISONING.

Source: www.hyscience.com...

Deny Ignorance. This S*** breaks my heart in every way. Not just because there suffering, but because of the amount of people who are so ignorant to what is going on here. If public opinion does not sway here, they don't have a chance in hell of making there lives better.

Or maybe they should be demonized, then we can pass some new INTL maritime laws! Yay new laws!

Or maybe I'm just wrong...maybe somalia should wake up and stop pirating and trying to stop the fishing boats from taking there food, and stop the waste dumpers from dumping. They should go home, drinking there toxic water, stare at there empty plate, and go farm there radiated land.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ciphor

So you are saying that we should just let them hijack our ships because stuff in their country isnt doing so well?

Next time I drive through a bad neighborhood I will just jump out of my car and leave the keys on the roof. Maybe that will make up for someone there not having very good parents.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ciphor

Ok... so where is the evidence that the pirates are using the tens of millions of dollars they have made through ransoms to alleviate some of the issues you have mentioned in your posts?

It seems to be rather hard to come across such evidence as I've asked for it in three seperate posts and not one person has been able to present any. You'd think tens of millions of dollars would be a godsend for a nation of such poor people if put to good use, right?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Exactly. I guess the thought never occurred to them that if they used their guns to get enough force to form a decent government that didnt steal their food aid that life might improve for everyone.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

There guns are rusted. and THEY HAVE tried to form new governments. The big companies who like stealing there food and dumping there waste keep paying the new officials tons of money to be good little... well you got the point. Where the money is going? Who knows...you honestly think they will even be able to spend it? EVEN for a second consider the possibility that it's not the money they are after, it is the media attention and getting back at the people who killed there bothers/sisters etc with poisoning and starvation?

All I ask you, both of you...is What, would, you, do. If you woke up to this?

My point is simple. They are focusing on the pirates, not what created the pirates. Oh sure, shot someones sister, burn there house down, and kill there dog, then arrest them when they sock the guy in the face who did it and do NOTHING absolutely NOTHING to the guy continuing to burn there stuff and kill there family.

)(@#&*$*@#()$*()@#*$()*()

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The world-government & their minions have been stealing from oppressed people in Somalia, and other poor nations for years. Obviously, the tyrants, who are posing as our leaders are provoking those oppressed people to rise up & fight against anyone, who represents the thieves, rapists, and murderers, who've invaded their territory - many times.

URB Magazine « Alternet.org:

K'Naan: "Why We Don't Condemn Our Pirates in Somalia Pirates"

[...] local fishermen in the coastline of Somalia have been complaining of illegal vessels coming to Somali waters and stealing all the fish. And since there was no government to report it to, and since the severity of the violence clumsily overshadowed every other problem, the fishermen went completely unheard. But it was around this same time that a more sinister, a more patronizing practice was being put in motion. A Swiss firm called Achair Parterns, and an Italian waste company called Progresso, made a deal with Ali Mahdi, that they could dump containers of waste material in Somali waters. These European companies were said to be paying Warlords about $3 a ton, where as in to properly dispose of waste in Europe costs about $1000 a ton.

In 2004, after Tsunami washed ashore several leaking containers, thousand of locals in the Puntland region of Somalia started to complain of severe and previously unreported ailments, such as abdominal bleeding, skin melting off and a lot of immediate cancer-like symptoms.

Nick Nuttall, a spokesman for the United Nations Environmental Program, says that the containers had many different kinds of waste, including "Uranium, radioactive waste, lead, cadmium, mercury and chemical waste." But this wasn't just a passing evil from one or two groups taking advantage of our unprotected waters, the UN Convoy for Somalia, Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, says that the practice still continues to this day. It was months after those initial reports that local fishermen mobilized themselves, along with street militias, to go into the waters and deter the Westerners from having a free pass at completely destroying Somalia's aquatic life. Now years later, that [deterrence] has become less noble, and the ex-fishermen with their militias have begun to develop a taste for ransom at sea. This form of piracy is now a major contributor to the Somali economy, especially in the very region that private toxic waste companies first began to bury our nation's death trap.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

What does it mater where the $$$$$$ is. Is that what maters? The rich peoples bling? OHHHHHHHHHhhhh well. I had no idea that you valued money over life. Sweet. So what do you purpose here Djarums? Kill the pirates? Right? KEEEEEP the money flowing for the suits? They need it to fuel the trawlies to steal the Somalians seafood.

It's sad that you think the money is more important then the lives of these people who weren't "Treated badly by there parents". They were robbed of there lives, land, and food. THERE STARVING AND SICK BECAUSE OF US. But what do you care, got bills to pay right?

Listen, I'm not saying there doing something good here. I'm saying we have left them very few options. We have been taking advantage of Africa for to long.

You can't shot up someones family and home then when they shot back arrest them and say "that was wrong what you did and you must be punished" and essentially that is what I am getting from some of your statements.

Tell me, what should they do instead? They are getting media attention, bringing there story out into the light, and stopping at least some of the fishing and waste dumping in the waters there lives depend on.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join