It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does our creator want us to hate each other?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Or we are left to our own devices. Which is always the direction I have leaned in. I made a thread about that at one point using a quote from Futurama. Here's the quote:

God: "Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket."
Bender: "Or a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money!"
God: "Yes, if you make it look like an electrical thing. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Though it is possible for there to be nothing, but damned if I know for sure and I can admit that even though I believe otherwise.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Do you want to be wishy-washy?

An honest person steps up and admits to their beliefs. And if you have no beliefs, I call that sitting on the fence, and I stand by my original argument.

Agnostics are hedging their bets, and I don't think they will do well if it turns out that God is real.

If He isn't, we have all had it anyway, probably.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

And thusly would have been wasting their times. Simple advice is live and let live and don't pass judgement on what others choose to believe. In fact I believe your J.C. said something to that effect about being judgemental.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

Yes, you are so right - it is Jesus or Satan and no middle ground.

This is why I am so against agnostics. They are weak and pathetic, and want to jump onto the winning side when they perceive what that is.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I love that 'my JC' - yes he is, and yours and everyone's who wants him.

It is true that he taught us not to be judgmental, but he could get quite fed up with people on the completely wrong track - like the moneylenders in the temple, and I think that he might get a bit fed up with people who are waiting to jump on the winning bandwagon.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

That's not a very fair assumption or generalisation. These are people who aren't swayed by either side, who look around and can't draw absolute conclusions on this rather convoluted world we live in. Wishy washy, these are people who stand against the pressure of extremists to have absolute beliefs when the are unable to come to hard positions.

It's not that they won't hold definite beliefs, but that they can't

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Sorry, they are still sitting on the fence.

I think that we definitely have to choose one side or the other.

When, or if, your country is at war, you have to choose one side or the other, or go to jail.

That is probably the same as when we die - you choose heaven, hell, or purgatory. Not that I necessarily believe in these as actual places.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Sorry, they are still sitting on the fence.

I think that we definitely have to choose one side or the other.

When, or if, your country is at war, you have to choose one side or the other, or go to jail.

That is probably the same as when we die - you choose heaven, hell, or purgatory. Not that I necessarily believe in these as actual places.

It's not about sides! It's about being right. And to be right, you must discern what is right, and you are never going to agree with everyone on what right is.

Let's assume god exists (for the sake of argument), he gave us our brains for a reason: to reason. He (apparently) gives us the ability to choose. He certainly didn't give us perfect perception of all.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

No, I rather doubt he would and I wager that he would be rather annoyed that you and others look at it such. Especially considering the fact he taught tolerance, forgiveness and was said to being willing to "break bread" with those considered to be undesirables.
I just to clarify I respect his message but reject a great deal to do with the story of J.C. mostly the stuff that leads to people such as you thinking they can lord over others and that you must convert them.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
Galileo Galilei

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

OK, watcher, that is totally unfair. I do not lord it over others, that is a ridiculous postulation.

I belive that Jesus will be our Saviour. Full stop.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Your statements speak of lording your chosen belief system over us. It maybe unfair but telling someone they are choosing Hell by not just "jumping on the bandwagon" as you put it, is also unfair. Especially when it is not for any sort of malice towards anything they do not believe as you do.
And you are perfectly welcome to that belief. But leave me out of it if you please. I personally don't believe we need a savior for the nonexistant sin of existing.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Also, watcher, I no longer care about converting anyone.

Second line - I do not care about converting anyone who does not want to be converted.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

The why the disdain of "fence sitters" as you put it? It is an obvious wish for them to convert to something. I am sure you'd prefer they convert to your side.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

That is a totally ridiculous statement - I bear no malice to anyone, or anything.

You are just trying to cause trouble.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Also, watcher, I no longer care about converting anyone.

Second line - I do not care about converting anyone who does not want to be converted.

No one wants to get converted

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

I am just advising them to get on one side or the other - I don't care which side.

I repeat, get on one side or the other, or be a wimp.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Get real..I am NOT interested in converting anyone.

I am NOT interested in a lot of crap - if you read my posts you will see that.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Get real..I am NOT interested in converting anyone.

I am NOT interested in a lot of crap - if you read my posts you will see that.

I didn't say you were, but I said no one wants to get converted.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Too bad childish taunts don't work on me.

,or be a whimp
I have chosen my side, which is not the topic of this conversation, but agnosticism is a side I hate to tell you. And the one I most respect, you could condeme for that as you obviously do in your dualistic hostility, or you could try to exercise *or try to learn to exercise* understanding, which is also something your J.C. tried to foster as well if I remember correctly.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join