It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand announces state of emergency in capital

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Thailand announces state of emergency in capital

news.yahoo.com

BANGKOK – Armored vehicles are moving in the streets of Thailand's capital following the announcement of a state of emergency aimed at stemming the tide of anti-government protest across the country.

Army spokesman Col. Sansern Kaewkamnerd says the military's presence Sunday in Bangkok is not a sign of an imminent coup but a measure to restore order.

Associated Press reporters saw several armored vehicles in a busy commercial area of the city not long after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva announced the emergency in Bangkok and surrounding areas.

Thailand's embattled government was humiliated Saturday by demonstrators who shut down a 16-nation Asian summit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I am really surprised ATS is not following this. What you might call the "anti NWO" block has scored a major victory and now they are paying for it.

They declared victory after Abhisit canceled the summit, where leaders of regional powers China, Japan and India, and the U.N. secretary-general and president of the World Bank, planned to discuss the global financial crisis.

These guys managed to do in Thailand what could not be done in London or Brussels. Now the government has flipped out and is deploying the military in the capital.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Shots fired as Thai protesters storm interior ministry

BANGKOK, April 12 (Reuters) - Troops fired into the air as Thai anti-government protesters stormed the country's interior ministry on Sunday after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva declared a state of emergency in the capital.

About 50 protesters broke through security at the interior ministry in Bangkok while Abhisit was in the building, but the prime minister escaped by car, a TV channel said.

www.alertnet.org...

Sounds like the people are quite ticked off. During the disruption of the summit yesterday things got so bad that many leaders at the summit had to be evacuated by helicopter.

Today the people have let the government know what they think of the state of emergency by attacking the Interior ministry while the Primeminister was there.

[edit on 12/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This is really big mind you. Typical that tyrannical governments deploy their troops against their people.

This is the way of the world, of which we have to change.

Revolutions are how we change the world.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
More updates:

Thai ministry stormed after govt declares emergency

Scores of red-shirted protesters were also gathering in the area around the police headquarters, but were not in the grounds, a witness said. Some had disabled the tracks of two armoured cars near the headquarters and others danced on top of the vehicles.

"If a national state of emergency is declared, the red shirt movement will regard the government's actions as a declaration of war against the people of Thailand.

"They will try to disperse the crowds, but we will remain at Government House. We will start a peoples' war. This declaration is war against the Thai people," he added.

www.alertnet.org...

Things seem to be heating up. Alertnet is updating faster than the MSM. I'll try to keep updating this thread as the situation develops.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Sounds like an imminent coup. You know, the kind we should stage. And the kind their Army spokesman was denying.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Is this the beginning of a revolution?

Anti-government demonstrators cheer after taking over a Thai Army armored personnel carrier Sunday, April 12, 2009, in Bangkok, Thailand. Armored vehicles are moving in the streets of Thailand's capital following the announcement of a state of emergency aimed at stemming the tide of anti-government protest across the country.

And just think it all started with a summit by the IMF, China, India, the World Bank and other East Asian nations in regards to the global financial crisis.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This could be where it starts to shift!

Flagged. we need to watch this closely.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nasdack24k

As much as I'd like to think so, at this point I can offer you my word and a small wager that it's not.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
You're most likely correct.

I'm no betting man anyway...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
More updates:

The Thai PM is warning the protestors to stop or face tough action and the deputy PM has told the police and military to fully and forcefully carry out their jobs.

Thai PM warns of tougher action unless protest ends

BANGKOK, April 12 (Reuters) - Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told anti-government demonstrators on Sunday to end their protests or face tough measures allowed under a state of emergency that he declared earlier in the capital.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Things have gotten much worse in the last few hours. The military has begun to crackdown and fighting has broken out in the streets with gunfire and petrol bombs. The former Primeminister Thaksin Shinawatra has urged open revolt against the government.

Updates:

Countries warn against travel to Thailand

April 12 (Reuters) - Britain and Singapore are the latest countries to issue travel advisories for Thailand where Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has declared a state of emergency to quell political unrest which forced the cancellation of an Asia summit.

Troops fired into the air when anti-government protesters stormed Thailand's interior ministry after Abhisit declared the emergency, and supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra stormed the summit venue in the popular resort of Pattaya.

www.alertnet.org...

Thailand's humiliated PM strikes at protesters

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, whose gentle treatment of protesters at an Asian summit led to its collapse in chaos, struck back on Sunday, declaring a state of emergency to quell protests in the capital.

Abhisit was humiliated on Saturday when his strategy of avoiding violence with red-shirted supporters of his nemesis, ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, backfired.

The emboldened protesters broke through a cordon of soldiers and hurtled through a glass facade at the media centre, shattering as well any chance the East Asia Summit would continue in the southern Thai beach resort of Pattaya.

www.alertnet.org...

Thai army begins crackdown on protesters-witness

BANGKOK, April 13 (Reuters) - The Thai army has started a crackdown on anti-government protesters and shooting was heard as they moved to secure a major junction in the capital, forcing back hundreds of protesters, a Reuters reporter said.

He said protesters threw stones and retreated to side streets. Fires blazed in the middle of Viphavadi-Rangsit, a main thoroughfare out of the city going to its north, close to Victory Monument.

www.alertnet.org...

Thai army fired back at protesters-spokesman

BANGKOK, April 13 (Reuters) - A spokesman for the Thai army said on Monday that soldiers trying to clear a main road in the capital were fired at by anti-government protesters and shot back.

Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd told a radio station that troops fired into the air first in response to tear gas and smoke bombs thrown at them by protesters but then fired real bullets.

www.alertnet.org...

Thai protesters hurl petrol bombs at troops

BANGKOK, April 13 (Reuters) - Anti-government protesters in Thailand hurled petrol bombs at troops at a major intersection in Bangkok on Monday after the military tried repeatedly to disperse them, a Reuters witness said.

About 500 troops repeatedly rushed at scores of protesters around the Din Daeng cloverleaf, firing warning shots at Bangkok's biggest intersection. Protesters responded by hurling at least a dozen petrol bombs at them, the witness said

www.alertnet.org...

Thai forces crack down on anti-govt protesters

...A Buddhist monk with a megaphone stood in the intersection pleading for calm and telling the soldiers: "Don't shoot, think about your country."

More than 10 soldiers had been wounded, mostly from being hit by buses driven by the protesters, he said.

An official at the government emergency medical service told Reuters they had treated 76 people.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This has been brewing for a long time now:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Glad it's finally getting the attention it deserves.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

What really bothers me about this is ATS is not all over this. These guys in Thailand accomplished what the demonstrators could not do in London and Brussels. They forced the globalists leaders of China, India, Japan, the UN and World Bank to evacuate by helicopter and end the East Asian summit addressing the global financial crisis.

Now the former PM is calling for open revolt against the government. These people are actually standing up for themselves and their country.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Will our government label them 'terrorists'?

I don't think this can be expected to have a global effect unless...

well... unless other people take this news as an 'opportunity' to rally against their own governments. I can't see that happening at this point. But maybe I'm just too jaded.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This should have happened in London, deploying the military in the streets. It would have waken up quite a lot of people to the real plan of the G20 meeting, they will not tolerate opposition.

We are a bunch of cowards in the west.... we're too pacificist. Pacifism does nothing in front of the NWO scumbags. We need to protest until THEY bring the military in the streets so they show how evil they are.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
We need a protest like this here in America over these bailouts. We are being robbed and everyone is just sitting on their butts. Im rooting for my fellow revolutionaries in Thailand.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No, I don't think you are too jaded - we (as a people) aren't ready for it yet. I have a friend living in Thailand at the moment (on an island), I've been holding off posting until I could make contact but sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to for a while. You are all right, this is massive and it should be getting more coverage - all is not lost for London though. The summer is on it's way and there might be a few surprises yet...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Here is another story the AP. This has the former PM's quoted call for revolution. Three 40mm grenades were reportedly fired into the Constitutional Court compound.

Thai soldiers spray gunfire, tear gas at protest

Ousted prime minister Thaksin, regarded by most of the protesters as their leader, called for a revolution and said he might return from exile to lead it.

Thaksin fled the country last year, before a court convicted him in absentia of violating a conflict of interest law.

"Now that they have tanks on the streets, it is time for the people to come out in revolution. And when it is necessary, I will come back to the country," he said in a telephoned message to followers outside Abhisit's office.

The message was broadcast over a video link projected on giant screens and relayed on supporters' Internet sites.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 13/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I am living in Phuket an Island in South Thailand.

No problems here only in Bangkok. However this has nothing to do with NWO or financial crisis etc etc.

This is only about local politics. One side 'Yellows' have the Government they want in power. The other side "Reds" want their Government ... Exiled former PM Thaksin back in power.

It is a vicious circle.

Sadly Thailand has very poor education and these people know very little nor care about the outside world. They can't even see that this will have a terrible effect on future tourism.... they live for today only, forward thinking is not widely acknowledged as a Thai trait.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join