It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New virus-built battery could power cars, electronic devices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

New virus-built battery could power cars, electronic devices

web.mit.edu

For the first time, MIT researchers have shown they can genetically engineer viruses to build both the positively and negatively charged ends of a lithium-ion battery.

The new virus-produced batteries have the same energy capacity and power performance as state-of-the-art rechargeable batteries being considered to power plug-in hybrid cars, and they could also be used to power a range of personal electronic devices, said Angela Belcher, the MIT materials scientist who led the research team.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
HAL Mech Suit Hits Production, To Increase Human Strength Tenfold

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
What do you think about this as a possible future answer in regards to a lack of battery technology advancements and limitations? I do find it a little interesting that this breakthrough has happened right about the same time as a lot of news has come out regarding new robotic suits for the military and other fields. This research from MIT was partially funded by the Army.

web.mit.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I am at once blown away (impressed) and very nervous about the unknown and possible consequences of messing around with viruses.

These viruses are supposedly harmful only to bacteria but not humans. But are we humans not totally dependent on myriad bacteria to be functioning properly in the environment, and even in our own bodies, in order for us to be healthy?

This is fascinating stuff, but really scary at the same time. I'm sure they think they know what they are doing, but do they really?

This sounds like it has huge potential for benefit. I hope that accidental or unavoidable release of these viruses into the environment doesn't also come with huge consequences which we can't even quite imagine at this time.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Nice information here!

Michio Kaku interview on 'A New Industrial Revolution' (Molecular Manufacturing)

Virus manufacturing to create a molecular factory that is using viruses and molecules to cut-splice & dice other molecules to create Computers, Laptops, Transistors & Batteries.
edit on 27-9-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I wonder if they could power people with them and make it so we no longer needed to eat food. . . .

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: wayno

I always get a red flag when I hear anything man made that has to do with genetically engineering what is found in nature.

At the end it will turn against humanity, to affect us in one way or the other.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

I always get a red flag when I hear anything man made that has to do with genetically engineering what is found in nature.

Just batteries nothing to fear in a battery.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: marg6043

Just batteries nothing to fear in a battery.

Do you even know anything about batteries other than what they look like? It really sounds like you're trying as hard as you can to avoid thinking.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I think these batteries could lead us into the next industrial revolution!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Kaku speaks on some of the promise of this tech, the future of this technology could be amazing.

Michio Kaku interview on 'A New Industrial Revolution' (Molecular Manufacturing)

new topics

top topics

join