It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are being lied to about pirates!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I just found this very interesting article on infowars.

Please share your thoughts about this.
I have visited africa 2 times, and met an incredible amount of friendly, wise, and very proud of their country people.

It seems very plausible to me!

In a surreal telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali, said their motive was “to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters … We don’t consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas and dump waste in our seas and carry weapons in our seas.” William Scott would understand those words.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by b3nj4m1n

Interesting point of view. And welcome to ATS!

I'm not defending these somalian robbers at all, but i just had to quote something from your source. definately something to think about...

The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarized by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know “what he meant by keeping possession of the sea.” The pirate smiled and responded: “What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor.”

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
You know, I think I could accept that except for one teeny fact. These pirates are not just killing or running off the 'offenders'. They are kidnapping and holding for ransom, for millions. That makes their motive greed, and their actions criminal.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
most of the pirate attacks have been on container ships bulk cargo ships, luxury yachts, and cruise ships. Almost none have been on fishing boats.

One major difference is that one kind of ship represents a lot more money than the other. They hold ships for ransom because Somalia is so poor it has almost no economy to speak of. the coastal waters are overfished as it is, so it's difficult to make a living doing anything.

new topics

top topics

join