It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese drywall poses potential risks, AP finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Chinese drywall poses potential risks, AP finds

www.msnbc.msn.com

PARKLAND, Fla. - At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when building materials were in short supply, American construction companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it was abundant and cheap.

Now that decision is haunting hundreds of homeowners and apartment dwellers who are concerned that the wallboard gives off fumes that can corrode copper pipes, blacken jewelry and silverware, and possibly sicken people.

Shipping records reviewed by The Associated Press indicate that imports of potentially tainted Chinese building materials exceeded 500 million pounds during a four-year period of soaring home prices. The drywall may have been used in more than 100,000 homes, according to some estimates, including houses rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So first the Tainted milk, Lead in childrens toys and now toxic drywall from our friends in China. It seems this NWO model country does not care about anything other then turning profits and exploiting the customers in terrible ways. I am sickened by this. I would love to organize a large scale boycott on everything made in China but it would never happen, Americans seem to love to buy cheap sh*t . If Americans bought all American made goods, our economy would immediately benefit but I guess the issue is America no longer a leader in manufacturing. The fact this drywall is causing "apartment dwellers who are concerned that the wallboard gives off fumes that can corrode copper pipes, blacken jewelry and silverware, and possibly sicken people." is disgusting. I am so sick of this profiteering that is throwing feces in consumers faces. Comments?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-4-2009 by iamjesusphish]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
i honestly think that people are just to strapped for cash and just to pooor to buy the better products

i shop at walmart not because i want to but because if i don't i wont have enough money to live

why does so much contaminated stuff come out of china are they purposely putting it in there to just get rid of it or is it just a crappy manufacturing process
and no standards

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
It's not like we can do anything, they own us.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
You get a mixed bag of quality from China. I guess some of the manufacturers don't follow proper standards and create an inferior product.

I've seen junk, and I've seen pretty good stuff come out of China.

Do a little search and you will see that there may be potential problems with some tires made in China.

Being "only out for profit" is ultimately hurting us. You aren't really saving money if the product fails earlier than it should, and you have to buy it again. It's not ethical to sell junk products.

I'm not out to bash Chinese people, because I'm sure many of these folks are just doing their 9 to 5, to survive. But we need to insist that Chinese companies follow the proper standards if we are to continue to buy from them.

And, yes we need to start investing in American goods as well. It is our economy.

The higher priced, higher quality good, may just end up being cheaper in the long run.

Troy

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I'm not out to bash Chinese people, because I'm sure many of these folks are just doing their 9 to 5, to survive.

"9 to 5" (8 hours) is closer to 12-14 hours, for less than $1/hr. They are living in poverty and as slaves.

There was a BBC news article on this, yet Google etc.. find no trace of it. Buried?

[edit on 12-4-2009 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Then, I guess it's bare minimum survival, if that's true.

But, you get the idea that some of these guys are just going to work to earn a living, in a mass production factory. They don't have authority over what materials go into their products.

Troy

new topics

top topics

join