It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Purpose Pagan Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Patrons....well, Ishtar, and Kali, who has stepped in on more than one occasion to rescue me. Also have a very strong earth goddess connection although I don't give her a name.

I agree that Easter is interesting, and has more pagan roots than most Christians will know about. The way the Church decides when Easter is is fascinating. It's the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring equinox. How pagan is that! Ostara is when the big shift out of hibernation happens for me. It can be traumatic!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

My birthday is right after Ostara, so it's a huge transformation period!

Thoth is the only tarot deck I use, ironically. Kind of funny.

The links between Ostara-Passover-Easter and Christmas-Yule and some of the other harvest holidays in Judaic traditions and Paganism are so obvious, I wonder how people can possibly deny them.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Well the way my wife explains it (Mrs. History Buff) is that early Christians took the traditions of the Pagans and kept them relatively similar to make it more palatable to the remaining Pagans. Don't know how the rest of you feel about that but I thought I would throw it in there

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Your wife is quite right about the early Church taking Pagan holidays and making them fit in with Christianity:

Saturnalia: The Christmas festivals and gift giving

Mithras: He was a popular sun god to the Roman soldiers and people. His birthday was December 25th, so the Church stole it for Jesus.

Isis/Ishtar: A very popular Mother Goddess who was worshipped along side Jesus. Ishtar also had many Hebrew temples devoted to her. The Virgin Mary was made more important to counter Mother Goddess Isis' influence on the people.

Easter: Just about every Pagan belief system had a big festival on the start of Spring or planting season. The agricultural and spring Goddesses were usually thanked and praised to ensure a bountiful harvest. This one was not going to go easily, so the Church put in their most popular tenet of Jesus rising from the dead on Easter. It makes sense as spring is when the dormant (dead) trees sprout new leaves.

BTW, the Earth Goddess has many names, including Gaia and Terra, which are usually the more popular ones. Same Earth Goddess just with another name. Most of the Gods and Goddesses have their name counterparts in other areas of the world.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Merry met and merry meet again! lol

You retched pagans what are you thinking in it harm none!

I am a solitaire Green Witch. I am eclectic in many ways but I am a true Hedgerider. I am a Cancer born on a Monday on a full moon and she rules my emotions and heart.

I love having commune with the greenman and I am looking so foreword to Beltane this year! Myself and some of my witch friends are going to celebrate this Beltane with the biggest bon-fire you ever seen. I live in the USA in the state of Michigan and love all you fellow pagans.

Blessed Be brothers and sisters.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Well Merry Meet right back at you!

I still want to expand to Wiccan but not sure of the best direction to take. Perhaps solitary research again. Maybe one of you fine souls can point me to some proper books

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I'd go for Deborah Lipp *thumbs up*
I went from Pagan to Wiccan and back again because of the hierarchy, but Debbie has some good stuff about solitary practice.

And she's generally a really awesome person.
I'd stay away from Silver Ravenwolf but I'm just not a fan, so I'm biased I guess.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Deborah Lipp...got it

What I am wondering is, is it possible to find Wiccan ways without a group? Can I achieve this on my own?

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Of course. That's called solitary practice. I think Lipp has a book on it. If not, there are MANY MANY MANY other books on how to be a solitary Wiccan. Even your local Borders or other chain bookstore probably has a section containing a few. I think you can also research it online. "Solitary witch" or "Solitary Wicca" maybe.

Lots of things you can do. A coven is cool to be a part of, but sometimes it's just for show/doesn't actually help anymore than you could do on your own.

Edit- my boyfriend has a ton of books on solitary practice. When I go down in two weeks I'll get some titles for you.

I also have some upstairs, will post titles later today.

[edit on 4/16/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I totally agree on both counts. Especially staying away from Ravenwolf!

If you are male read Full Contact Magick by Kerr Cuhulain.

For any gender The Green Witch by Ann Maura and both the "Inner temple of Witchcraft" and the "Outer temple of Witchcraft" by Christopher Penczak.

There are many others but I will leave some for others to offer.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
Deborah Lipp...got it

What I am wondering is, is it possible to find Wiccan ways without a group? Can I achieve this on my own?

-Kyo

I highly recommend going solitaire. Too many false witches with bad energy to trust anyone but yourself. Covens can really suck. I don't like sharing circle with too much scattered energy except maybe some drum circles and having fun.

Your path is your own.

Ann Maura is great for solitaire.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Excellent, fabulous recomendations. didn't think this thread would go anywhere. Happy I started it!

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Try to find a specialty store that sells Pagan and Wiccan items. The people who run the stores can be quite helpful in books about the subjects you are interested in. Unitarian Churches sometimes have a Pagan and/or a Wiccan part, so you many want to contact your nearest Unitarian Church for details. It is a path where you will meet wonderful people and share ideas with.

Goddess Bless all of you!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I wonder if I can trust most of the website pagan stores? Anyone here ever use them?

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I have not used any of them. You must have some mom and pop pagan stores in your area. I have one in my home town that I love so much I travel 100 miles just to visit. I love the owners Alan and Dawn they are such wonderfully grounded people that will always help.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

One way to find out if a Pagan website store is any good is to order a small item first. If one receives the item ordered in a reasonable fashion, and can contact the store with a phone number, there should not be a problem.

If one lives in a small town or city, there may not be any stores or shops that cater to the Pagan. I would try to find a Pagan store, but if none is available, try a website.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Here are some sites that offer Pagan/Wiccan and other supplies and books:

www.thecosmicmerchant.com...

www.isisbooks.com...

www.ecauldron.net...

www.starhawk.org...

These are but a few sites out there to those who do not have a Pagan/Wiccan store near them.

I have not ordered from any of the sites and cannot vouch for them. I only present a few of them as a source to show what is available out there. There are many other sites online, and one should Google Pagan or Wiccan books to find more sites.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's a recipe for Beltane incense....it's best made as close to Beltane as possible, or on the previous full moon. It stores really well, and if you can't find any one of the ingredients, just substitute something else, or leave it out.

The best way to combine all the ingredients is in a mortar and pestle, but make sure you don't use the one you would use in the kitchen, as most incense ingredients have a very strong smell. Ideally it would be one that you keep exclusively for magical work. Intention is every thing, so make sure that you're watching your thoughts while mixing the incense....it will absorb them all.

Ingredients: (parts by weight, not volume)

1 part Mandrake (approximately 1 heaped teaspoonful)
1 part Gum Arabic
1 part Gum Benzoin
4 parts Frankincense
pinch of Oak bark
pinch of White Willow Bark
2 pinches of Damiana or a few drops of Damiana oil
3 drops Jasmine oil
2 drops Rose oil
10 drops Bergamot oil

Combine all the ingredients until they are mixed to look like grainy sand. Burn on a charcoal disk, just a few pinches at a time. It keeps really well, so store the rest in an airtight jar. Although they are minor ingredients, the rose and jasmine oils are really important. Beltane is a fertility sabbat, celebrating and honouring our own creativity. Rose is the archetypal feminine oil, and Jasmine, despite the delicate white flowers it comes from, is extremely masculine in nature. It's a great way to combine and balance them. Bergamot is all about abundance!

I hope you enjoy...Happy Incense Grinding!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Thank you very much!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Yes thank you Caitlin!

I think that's what I hoped from this thread...bit of sharing and such

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>