It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali pirates seize another boat

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
to cbianchi513:
It appears that you are a member of the USMC. You might be able to tell us if U S Marines serve on board ships anywhere as was their original mission or have they become a land-based spearhead force to be used primarily for invasions?
If we still have seagoing Marines; is it possible to assign them to civilian ships to provide security in the Somali waters? The legal issues can be resolved if placing Marines on-board maritime ships would be effective & practical.

On another note; it is not true that Somali pirates only operate from shore in Yemini waters. They are now reported to be operating from larger (mother) ships in areas 200 miles from the coast. That was the case with the Alabama; it was over 200 miles from shore when it was captured. The motorized skiffs did not venture 200 miles from the Somali coast - they were transported by a larger ship. THOSE are the ships the U S Navy should be going after.

Another possibility: perhaps it is to the advantage of our Navy that piracy is prospering in these waters; it gives us (and NATO) an excuse to have an excessive number of naval vessels deployed there. With 3 Aircraft Carriers in the region, it seems we would have the ability to knock out pirate ships at will - but we are not doing that. We are permitting them to operate while we build up our naval forces in that region.

Instead of focusing only on the pirates (a diversion?) we should consider what else is going on in that part of the world.

vBreezo

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by vBreezo

In answer to your question, sure... You could say there are a "few" Marines underway aboard ships... (see link)

en.wikipedia.org...

The 13th MEU is currently underway with the USS Boxer strike group, deployed from Camp Pendleton, San Diego.

More than likely some elements of these detachments are involved:

en.wikipedia.org...

Like I said in an earlier post. It would be almost a "natural" mission for a fire team of Marines to be deployed aboard merchant shipping as a detterrent for pirates... However, I am not sure what the Law of the Sea states on this possibility.

No joke... The Laws of the Sea are paid serious heed.

[edit on 13/4/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by vBreezo
On another note; it is not true that Somali pirates only operate from shore in Yemini waters. They are now reported to be operating from larger (mother) ships in areas 200 miles from the coast. That was the case with the Alabama; it was over 200 miles from shore when it was captured. The motorized skiffs did not venture 200 miles from the Somali coast - they were transported by a larger ship. THOSE are the ships the U S Navy should be going after.

I don't think anyone has said they are only operating from shore in Yemeni waters. But there have been a large number of incidents in Yemeni waters, which to me puts to lie the claim that they're trying to protect Somali waters by hijacking ships.

You don't go as far out into international waters or into another countries waters if you're trying to protect your own (to me at least you don't).

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'd tend to agree with you on the point that you don't attack in a neighbor's waters to defend your own waters...

Then again, if these folks were doing anything that was conventional, they'd be a non-issue, neh?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Did they not mention today that if they capture and U.S. or French citizens from now on that they will be shot on site ?.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
you cant tell me that by attaking vessels hundreds of miles off shore is a way of proving a point about polloution. the pirates are in it for the money or at least the war lords who supply them are. heres a few links you might find interesting.
www.shipping.nato.int...

www.icc-ccs.org...

www.icc-ccs.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If you're defending your waters, you don't go into another countries waters, and take boats that had nothing to do with it.

Most ships taken are cargo ships, tugs, yachts. Nothing to do with fishing. Most of them taken were taken in international waters,

make your mind up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the USMC no longer has ship's marine detachments and has not since the 1990s. The sole exception is amphibious assault ships while have assigned marine units for amphibious operations (ex. the above mentioned MEUs). Shipboard security/defense is now solely up to the US Navy Master at Arms ratings (who also handle law enforcement on navy vessels and bases).

The best bet would be the "Q Ship" idea as was mentioned above.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join