It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anarchy Reigned~Thai Protesters Forced Asia Summit Cancellation!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
On the heels of the G20 summit protests, the city of Bangkok was held hostage...anarcy reigned, and the Asian summit was cancelled. This will pile on more pressure in an economy teetering on the brink of recession, especially if foreign tourists are put off by the scenes of chaos and emboldened protesters.

The "red shirts" say they had intended to protest peacefully but became infuriated when blue-shirted, pro-government vigilantes arrived, armed with clubs, bricks and slingshots. Thaksin alleged these were police and soldiers in disguise.

A summit of Asian leaders in Thailand was canceled on Saturday after anti-government protesters swarmed into the meeting's venue, renewing doubts about the durability of the government.....
....The East Asia Summit brings together the 10 member nations of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) and China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand for discussions about trade, economic issues and regional security..
Reuters News

On Thursday, the red shirts held the city of Bangkok hostage. They blocked major roads and intersections, including Victory Monument, effectively paralysing the city. The government did nothing. Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile. Give them one city, and they'll take another.

On Saturday, the red shirts broke into the Royal Cliff Beach Resort in Pattaya, site of the Asean summit. They smashed through the glass doors of the convention hall and ran through the building, overturning tables, blowing horns, waving Thai flags and screaming "Abhisit get out!"

Bangkok Post

[edit on 11-4-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I heard about this this afternoon on the CBC radio.

I was thinking about posting about it.

The people in Thailand don't mess around. This has been a constant for the last year/two years. I have nothing but respect for the Thai people. They aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe in. I don't imagine being a politician in Thailand is very safe job.

Good for them.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it anarchy. The Thais just aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe and their voices are heard and respected.

I have been to Thailand and found them to be some of the lovliest people in the world. They are by no means uncivilized.

I wish people in the "western" world would stand up a bit more when obvious injustices are committed.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I say good for them also...while I am not usually such a rebel, better to have that result than the atrocities China has committed in the past!

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said here Saturday that China still hopes the meetings related to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit can be held despite anti-government protests.

Wen made the remarks at a news briefing in the Dusit Thani hotel, where Chinese and South Korean representatives stay.

He said the fact that leaders of most of the invited countries came for the summits demonstrated their strong will to act together to fight the current global financial crisis.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I really do not like the words of warning...that is wayscary to think about what steps they will take to apply "tough standards".

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said he hoped the summit could be rescheduled within the next few months, and warned protesters that "very tough standards will be applied to them very soon."...
....The meeting -- the biggest international gathering since the G20 summit in London earlier this month -- grouped the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) with China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand.

apnews.myway.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Below is an excerpt from an article with pictures, and more about the protests. I have also posted information about Tienaman Square Masacre, and as I look at the two events, I can not help but think that I appreciate the protestors.

The red-shirted people formed a line and kept advancing until the two sides stood confronting less than one meter apart and the clash broke out. The red-shirted protesters were seen carrying Molotov cocktails but none had been thrown at the other side yet.

news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thank you so much for posting these segments. I have never seen them. Although I remember the reportings, this video is life changing. I am only half way through and can not wait to share them. Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by elston

They were inspiring to me as well. While the atrocities commited by the govenment were sickening to watch, somehow seeing that one lone man stand in the way makes me realize even more how important it is that we stand with courage against wrong.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Another reply to keep this alive. Everyone please take the time to watch all the Tank Man postings. It will change your outlook. It is amazing.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by elston

As you requested, and I was also wanting to do that...I did create a thread with all of the Tank Man video footage...in the political idealology forum...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

It is titled Why Communisim is Not The Answer Now Or Ever; Remember The Tank Man!

Thanks for the input!

top topics

join