It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States & Cities Turning To Outrageous Fees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Cities, states turn to fees to fill budget gaps

Ohio’s governor, Ted Strickland (D), has proposed a budget with more than 150 new or increased fees, including a fivefold increase in the cost to renew a livestock license, as well as larger sums to register a car, order a birth certificate or dump trash in a landfill. Other fees take aim at landlords, cigarette sellers and hospitals, to name a few.

Wisconsin’s governor, James E. Doyle (D), has proposed a charge on slaughterhouses that would be levied on the basis of each animal slaughtered. He also wants to more than triple the application charge for an elk-hunting license to $10, an idea that has raised eyebrows because the elk population in the state is currently too small to allow an actual hunting season.

Washington’s mayor, Adrian M. Fenty (D), has proposed a “streetlight user fee” of $4.25 a month, to be added to electric bills, that would cover the cost of operating and maintaining the city’s streetlights. New York City recently expanded its anti-idling law to include anyone parked near a school who leaves the engine running for more than a minute. Doing that will cost you $100.

I have a feeling this is only the beginning. How many people actually thought their taxes were going to go down after the Democrats took control of the taxpayer pocketbooks?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Why do they think we have money?

I can see it now.

"Sir how long have you been standing in line", "Bout five minutes I'd say it's taking forever", "Ok, well that'll be 450 dollars", *Punches cop in face, dragged to jail*

How much does our existence cost?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It is necessary for all of us to recognize that on April 15th, that state, county, and city taxes must be curtailed as well as federal taxes. Do not let a city council, a Quorum Court, or a State Legislature pass any sort of tax or fee withouth voter approval.
If the city council, or the county government approves a new tax or an increased fee for services, inisist on a on a special elecition to pass or disapprove of the tax or fee. In some cities, (quite a few, I'd imagine), this would allow the citizens to elect new councilmen as well as vote down the tax or the increased fees.
On the state level, the citizens have the right to call for a referendum on incrsaed fees or takxes.
And don't forget, as citizens, we have the right to recall any elected official. IF Senator John Jones doesn't vote the way his constiuents have indicated they wish him to vote, then he can be recalled. Perhaps, if we execised this option more often, our Congressmen would vote according to the wishes of their consituients.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by kettlebellysmith]

new topics

join