It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheists care about religion?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

"Atheists and agnostics, we need a god, we shall call it 'Lord Durt' "

Our lord god Darwin will have no other gods before him.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

As we look at Dirt, we look at ourselves.
We have Dirty minds, DURT is all around us.

My ally is dirt, and a power ally it is.
Life creates it, makes it grow.
It's energy surrounds us, and binds us.
You must feel the dirt around you.
Here; between you and me, the rock, the tree; everywhere.
Yes, even between you, the land and the ship....

Lost it there a sec.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Yeah, but what is Lord Darwin now?

Dirt.

How many times has he been through an earthworm?

We will all revert to DURT, we will meet our maker.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lastxdance
I think what he's trying to say is that atheism is in itself putting faith into not believing in creation. For example scientists must have faith in M-Theory or parallel dimensions, because they cannot physically test these hypothesis and they exist mathematically. Religion puts faith into the fact that there is something that created what the scientists are studying to make sense of. I believe in science AND religion personally, but the choice is up to you. Science cannot disprove religion, and religion cannot disprove science, so I go by both.

i do somewhat believe what you say, but you have to understand that there is a very large segment of our society that takes religious belief far beyond a simple mental exercise. there has been physical as well as psychological harm done to people who do not believe...ex: i had a female friend at work, that moved out of alabama to california, because her son of 9 years old was severly beaten at school because he said he did not believe in the lord. he was blinded in one eye, by another kid who kicked him in the face, and had a bone fractures to 2 of his ribs. the mother went to the school, but in the end it was covered up, by putting it into the catagory of "boys will be boys type of fighting". the mother recieved death threats on her phone and had her house vandalized by THESE GOOD CHRISTIANS, so she quit her job and moved out here to california. these are the type of religious people that the atheists are fighting, and as far as i'm concerned, more people of this nation need to hear these stories.

and of course you won't here these stories on FOX NEWS...you know...FAIR AND BALANCED is there motto, they just don't walk the walk.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

I'm not going to read that.

I believe in all the major scientific advances we have made as a species. I believe in evolution to a point the point of God intervened with modern humans and did create them (would this not explain the missing link?) Maybe he had to kill off the 65 million year old system to bring about his prized creation? Science is NOW confirming that the scenarios in the book of Revelation can happen. I believe in the ambitions of science, but Divinity is seperate from science in the sense that a Creator would not be bound by the laws of the universe or time for that matter something science seems to forget. If it is the creation, the creator is outside of it. I think the Bible said "days of creation" so that they could better understand it in their time of living. We have far greater capabilities than they did, so we know the Milky Way is just one of many and the Earth might not seem special. It is special to the Creator, maybe the creation is how the universe would have been if the Universe would have just formed by chance, but it is flawless. If it WERE flawed, nothing would be here. It's a matter of faith.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't associate with most Christians today because they seem to hold this belief that all the new studies done on the bible are the work of Satan, and they don't want to accept the fact that Jesus preached entirely about the Kingdom of God AFTER the end of the world as we know it. They try to use politics as a means of support, but then again all the churches are as corrupt as politicians these days. None of the Churches really teach what they were supposed to. In fact Jesus was AGAINST the Church, but not The Old Testament. So in a way I think Christians need to re-asses their priorities, but at the same time I'm still a believer.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lastxdance

Oh get off your high-horse, really.

Science is NOW confirming that the scenarios in the book of Revelation can happen.

Wanna elaborate this statement?

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
They say the Bible contradicts itself, but further study shows if you let it interpret itself you get somewhere.

NASA likes to contradict themselves too. They say there is no killer asteroid out there, but don't mention they are only capable of tracking 30% of them.

They said there would be no killer solar flare ( A big judgment in Revelation)
but now they are saying next solar maximum is in 2012. By then our already crumbling magnetic field won't be strong enough to defend us.

They say that Pole Shift has happened before, but discredit 2012 doomsayers off as nuts. In fact its almost as if they write it to subtly TELL people of coming danger rather than discredit doomsayers.

Global Warming is now officially recognized as problematic, but only now.

NASA just doesn't want to have mass panic.

This is the same NASA that says Extra-terrestrials don't exist, but have tapes discussing the matter with the astronauts that were on the moon.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

NASA likes to contradict themselves too. They say there is no killer asteroid out there, but don't mention they are only capable of tracking 30% of them.

Yes, NASA, the bible. Very similar.

... Actually I don't even get the point you're making here, bringing up an unrelated fact that government organisations lie as some sort of red herring, i guess.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

To embed it: type in [ yvid]NaEj3g5GOYA[ /yvid] without the spaces

This has to be the second day in a row that I've seen this vid mentioned on ATS. It anthropomorphizes God, which is blatanly false.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

"They say the Bible contradicts itself, but further study shows if you let it interpret itself you get somewhere. "

...further study shows that if let interpret itself you anything you want out of it. The BuyBull is the words of men, not the Great Sky Fairy.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
but you have to understand that there is a very large segment of our society that takes religious belief far beyond a simple mental exercise. there has been physical as well as psychological harm done to people who do not believe...ex: i had a female friend at work, that moved out of alabama to california, because her son of 9 years old was severly beaten at school because he said he did not believe in the lord. he was blinded in one eye, by another kid who kicked him in the face, and had a bone fractures to 2 of his ribs. the mother went to the school, but in the end it was covered up, by putting it into the catagory of "boys will be boys type of fighting". the mother recieved death threats on her phone and had her house vandalized by THESE GOOD CHRISTIANS, so she quit her job and moved out here to california. these are the type of religious people that the atheists are fighting, and as far as i'm concerned, more people of this nation need to hear these stories.

I find this hard to believe in the government schools today they are not allowed to draw a picture of a gun or get expelled, or bring a plastic knife to school to cut a birthday cake with. They are not allowed to play dodgeball or do much of anything during recess except smell the flowers.

I also find it hard to believe that a 9 year old can crack two ribs and smash a kid's face, or that he would do that because the kid said he did not believe in the Lord. To me this sounds like a LIE. People who hate God are known for telling big whoppers against believers and anybody else.

Furthermore, to say that people need to keep religion at a "mental excercise only" shows you want Christians to be hypocrites, that our beliefs should be something we talk about but not something that we carry out in our own lives.

That kind of religion is useless. If the story you tell about the 9 year olds blinding and breaking bones is true, these kids were not practicing their religion, which I thought you said was a good thing. Do you think the Bible teaches Christians to beat people to a pulp who don't believe the same as they?

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Salt of the Earth

"People who hate God are known for telling big whoppers against believers and anybody else. "

You're absolutely right. They tell whoppers like "the whole Earth was covered in rainwater one time" and "the sun stood still in the sky" and "there was this lady that turned in a pillar of salt because she looked back to get one last look at her home, family and her past, all of which were going up in smoke." Truly some of the all-time big whoppers.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

...further study shows that if let interpret itself you anything you want out of it. The BuyBull is the words of men, not the Great Sky Fairy.

The Great Sky Fairy called Mr. Durt that never had a beginning and never will have an end, the one who is able to form itself into every kind of life form and then impart life?

Put utmost faith in Mr. Durt and his disciples Charles Darwin and Carl Sagan, Bill Gates, Karl Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, and Mao, John Lennon, and Madonna?

Of course the words of these men and women were inspired by Mr. Durt himself, so they are most trustworthy and reliable.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

This video is appalling. He accuses "creationists" of using logical fallacies, and yet that's what he himself does. What a hypocrite!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

"People who hate God are known for telling big whoppers against believers and anybody else. "

You're absolutely right. They tell whoppers like "the whole Earth was covered in rainwater one time" and "the sun stood still in the sky" and "there was this lady that turned in a pillar of salt because she looked back to get one last look at her home, family and her past, all of which were going up in smoke." Truly some of the all-time big whoppers.

It's obvious you hate God and hate the Bible. Could this be the source of your atheism, having nothing to do whatever with "lack of proof" of the existence of God? Even your alias mocks God. You would rather give Mr. Durt the credit for making you and mock God who not only made you, but also died for you.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

"It's obvious you hate God and hate the Bible. Could this be the source of your atheism, having nothing to do whatever with "lack of proof" of the existence of God? Even your alias mocks God. You would rather give Mr. Durt the credit for making you and mock God who not only made you, but also died for you."

I hate the BuyBull, it's a crock of "stuff" and a vile collection of misantrophic, mysognistic, racist fairy tales. I have no hate for fictitious beings, they simply don't count.

As for Durt Dobain, I loved his music.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

So what if you can't find them. Look for them, then !

Science is superstition, and science is imperfect. Mainstream science, in particular, is rife with ignorance.

If you require proof, fine, but don't accuse other people of not requiring proof. Just because religion is false, doesn't mean that God is false.

Even the Bible says not to respect people who don't deserve it:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
-- 2 Corinthians 6:14, KJV

There is a natural order. Will you allow feral nomads to invade your home? They are just trying to stay alive ...

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because religious people are uncivil doesn't mean that atheists auto-magically become civil.

There are people who are civilized, and also not trustworthy. The two are not mutually exclusive. People lie, even non-religious people. Remember that.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

"Science is superstition, and science is imperfect. Mainstream science, in particular, is rife with ignorance. "

That's lovely. I'd use it as a sig but I like mine.

"Science is superstition"? Totally false.

"Science is imperfect"? Very true. Unlike the God-botherers, scientists don't claim to know everything. When they do, the scientist will find something new to do. But it's not likely to happen very soon.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join