It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheists care about religion?

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
ATTENTION PLEASE

A reminder from your friendly moderating staff.

We understand that this topic is one that will generate passionate opinions. Please be mindful of the Terms and Conditions when formulating responses and that we do require decorum and civility when interacting with each other.

Stay on-topic, don't slag your fellow members.

Thanks.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Any claim can be thus. In all the various shades of validity.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
It's a way of avoid the fact that atheists are just people who have outgrown religion.

I wouldn't necessarily say outgrown. Some aren't. Some are as much zealots as any religious person can be, but it just goes to show that it's not atheism that causes it, but just that loud religious people are loud religious people regardless of their specific belief system.

You smart me like you.

In all seriousness you hit the nail exactly on the head. So refreshing to hear this from others.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
atheists are religious

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mannapolie
atheists are religious

Really? I'm an atheist and I've never been religious. The only time I ever interfaced with religion was when it was shoved in my face.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

atheists are religious

To quote House. "It's oxymoronic. Might not even be oxy-."

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

atheists are religious

To quote House. "It's oxymoronic. Might not even be oxy-."

I like Feynman, "That's not right. It's not even wrong."

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mannapolie

Materialism and humanism are both examples of atheist "religions," for lack of a better word.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen
reply to post by mannapolie

Materialism and humanism are both examples of atheist "religions," for lack of a better word.

And yet atheism is simply the rejection of a deity.

And I think the "better word" you are thinking of is 'philosophies'.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Any claim can be thus. In all the various shades of validity.

To which I quote Isaac Asimov.

"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

Hypotheses that are supportable are actually better than ones that aren't.

So no, any claim cannot be thus.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I'm sure we also fear what would happen if this was a completely christen nation, the crusades and roman inquizition where from beliefe in jesus and anyone who said that the earth orbited the sun were arested and most of the time killed. There was the censorship that christens have made by burning books, they also wanted to get the computer game "spore" out of the stores because it "promotes evolution to our kids" and we all know how dangerous evolution is. Plus all the things they blamed on satan over the years

• 1. evolution 2. aliens. 3. abortion 4. stem cell reaserch 5. global warming 6. atheists and several others

THe teachings of things that have a lack of evidence (creation) is also dangerous to us and america because we will be raising fools for god.

• posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:36 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

atheists are religious

Really? I'm an atheist and I've never been religious. The only time I ever interfaced with religion was when it was shoved in my face.

Kids hate school to because it is been forced on to them. But you would be quite helpless without it. You can't deny school and hope for a bright future at the same time.

People who say they don't believe in God because religion has been shoved in their face are week, and cant deal with the fact that its not religion that is the problem but the people doing the pushing.

People think they know religion. How far from the truth is that?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:30 AM
    link   
    reply to post by spellbound

stop and think about it. atheism is a religion.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:41 AM
    link   
    reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

Atheism is an express belief, not simply denial

Humanism is not merely a philosophy. It involves a level of faith as well.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:06 AM
    link   
    Strictly matter,

No God is not Justice, atheism is a bloccade. an Illness, a lack of God. Lack of morality. It it truly exists.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:35 PM
    link   
    Who would you have as your servant, if you were God? A person who dedicates his life to find universal, provable truths.... or a person who calls out for you constantly, day in day out, while talking gibberish, claiming salvation through your son, for having been the reason he had to die, and not to forget, remind you and everyone else of his carnal sins you hate so dearly, always reminded you how stupid an idea creating Man was.... Who among the two? The Truthseeker... or the a$$-licker?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:27 AM
    link   
    reply to post by etherical waterwave

Atheism is not a lack of morals, true atheists form their own morals based on rationale and philosophy. God is not the source of morality, it is an evolutionary development evident in animals with higher brain function.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:45 PM
    link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen

Atheism is an express belief, not simply denial

Humanism is not merely a philosophy. It involves a level of faith as well.

No...no it isn't. Atheism is simply what occurs when you look at life realistically.

Is it likely that there is some big happy beardy man in the sky who just happens to love me and will forgive my sins as long as I spend my time worshipping him?

Or is it more likely that we live in a universe of natural causes, cold and emotionless, and we have humanised it for our own ego's sake, because we're afraid that the vastness of the cosmos simply doesn't care about our existence?

And humanism isn't a religion. According to my god, the almighty Wikipedia:

Humanism rejects deference to supernatural beliefs in human affairs. Humanism is generally compatible with atheism[4] and agnosticism[5] but being atheist or agnostic does not make one a Humanist. Although the words "ignostic" (American) or "indifferentist" (English, including OED) are sometimes applied to Humanism, on the grounds that Humanism is an ethical process, not a dogma about the existence or otherwise of gods, many Humanists are deeply concerned about the impact of religion and belief in a god or gods on society and their own freedoms. Agnosticism or atheism on their own do not necessarily entail Humanism; many different and sometimes incompatible philosophies happen to be atheistic in nature. There is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere, and not all are humanistic.

Next!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:44 PM
    link   

No...no it isn't. Atheism is simply what occurs when you look at life realistically.

Um. No. You're confusing agnosticism with atheism. Or do you truly think mankind has completely figured out the universe and what is possible and impossible beyond any shadow of a doubt?

Is it likely that there is some big happy beardy man in the sky who just happens to love me and will forgive my sins as long as I spend my time worshipping him?

Christian beliefs *or monotheism as it is currently embodied* are not integal to believing in a "higher power".

Or is it more likely that we live in a universe of natural causes, cold and emotionless, and we have humanised it for our own ego's sake, because we're afraid that the vastness of the cosmos simply doesn't care about our existence?

Neither does a "higher power" have to really care about us or even pay all that much us.

And humanism isn't a religion. According to my god, the almighty Wikipedia:

Humanism rejects deference to supernatural beliefs in human affairs. Humanism is generally compatible with atheism[4] and agnosticism[5] but being atheist or agnostic does not make one a Humanist. Although the words "ignostic" (American) or "indifferentist" (English, including OED) are sometimes applied to Humanism, on the grounds that Humanism is an ethical process, not a dogma about the existence or otherwise of gods, many Humanists are deeply concerned about the impact of religion and belief in a god or gods on society and their own freedoms. Agnosticism or atheism on their own do not necessarily entail Humanism; many different and sometimes incompatible philosophies happen to be atheistic in nature. There is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere, and not all are humanistic.

Anything can be a religion. And while we are at it you really should provide a link back to the information cited as opposed to just saying it's from wikipedia. And funny, I found this there as well, I underlined the pertinent line: *aka you're not being honest, tsk tsk, which is why you didn't cite your source, right?*

[edit] Religion

Because Humanism encompasses intellectual currents running through a wide variety of philosophical thought, its proponents say it is able to fulfill or supplant the role of religions, and in particular, to be embraced as a complete life stance. For more on this, see Humanism (life stance). In a number of countries, for the purpose of laws that give rights to "religions", the secular life stance has become legally recognized as equivalent to a "religion" for this purpose. In the United States, the Supreme Court recognized that Humanism is equivalent to a religion in the limited sense of authorizing Humanists to conduct ceremonies commonly carried out by officers of religious bodies. The relevant passage is in a footnote to Torcaso v. Watkins

SOURCE:en.wikipedia.org...

Next!

Enthusiasm for your answers does not replace factuality, true zealots forget that.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:08 AM
    link   

rationality is godless, rationality is all Godways. It held logic.

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47 >>

join