It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheists care about religion?

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

It was a rhetorical question also answered towards the end of the OP with "that is why...." followed by a period, terminating the sentence and question - in question.

Actually, I think gods are dreamt up by primitives when they begin to think about how the season and the sun support them. We have an evolutionary dislike of night and darkness and we equate it with evil and fear. That speaks volumes if you ask me.

Also agriculture is the technological accelerant that propels us out of the caves. But with it comes concepts of annual seasons, property and territory. It seems it gave birth to language after calenders. That also speaks volumes to me.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kiltedninja

In my random burst of inspiration, I feel that I've made something known. Thank you.

I would disagree, I would say that you just pulled us into a semantic roundabout.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
bah! Semantics.

I know that I probably just confused people with my circular logic, but it made sense to me.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Atheists are not being persecuted..

I know this was waaay back on the first page but I just found this thread and this ignorance makes me squirm. There are states in the US where atheist can not run for office and even if they did polls show people are likely to not vote for an atheist simply because of their belief system, despite agreeing with their policy or admiring their character.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

What state has a law saying you can't run because you are an athiest?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

it was in the op.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Sorry about the "tongue-poke"! I actually meant to hit puzzled (don't know why that came up).
yeah thats cool ....rhetoric.
Do you think our ancestors lived in caves en-mass, or only at a time of natural disaster, or as a minority (like in modern times) as mere choice?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I say caves as a bit of a cliché. All our ancestors were hunter-gatherers whom would have roamed in numbers from 1 to maybe a multitude of families, who can say. They would have lived where ever it was relatively safe to sleep I'm guessing.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

What state has a law saying you can't run because you are an athiest?

Arkansas
Maryland
North Carolina
Pennsylvania South Carolina
Texas

bunda.org...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Those laws are void and cannot be upheld. As stated in the edit at the bottom of the page.

Most of those laws are 30 years old and in one case over a hundred years old. Like alot of weird laws, like one where you can't drink beer out of a bucket, they aren't upheld.

Now if you can show where someone was denied the oppurtunity to run based on these laws you might have something.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
In the Oregon constitution it said that blacks couldn't own property up just recently, because no one cared about it after they were given rights. But no one bothered to take it out, so it laid forgotten in the constitution of our state.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kiltedninja
In the Oregon constitution it said that blacks couldn't own property up just recently, because no one cared about it after they were given rights. But no one bothered to take it out, so it laid forgotten in the constitution of our state.

Yeah and Georgia was still having segregated sports teams and proms until 2005 (www.kidsnewsroom.org...) (still had some segregated proms in 2007, not sure about now www.highbeam.com...) with their dead laws on the books. Really sad to think of all the prejudice things going on in this nation.

Those laws are void and cannot be upheld.

Actually, it's never been put to the test. The point is this belief of non-discrimination of atheist is ridiculous.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Also agriculture is the technological accelerant that propels us out of the caves. But with it comes concepts of annual seasons, property and territory. It seems it gave birth to language after calenders. That also speaks volumes to me.

Chicken or egg? When did agriculture come? Big questions!
Do you really think humans dwelt in caves as the choice abode or only in natural crisis scenario?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

They are void and cannot be upheld because of the US Constitution even if they try to uphold it as stated in the edit.

So they really are just dead laws that have been forgotten.

There are alot of dead laws out there that would violate the rights of alot of people. They are simply forgotten and only brought up when someone digs deep enough in state laws so that they can use them to show discrimination. Even though no such law has been enforced for 30-100 years.

Type in weird state laws in google and you will see what I mean.

Now, like I said. If you can show us where someone was prohibited from running for office due to their religion or lack of then I will back you up on this.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Agriculture came to Africa and Europe simultaneously 9000 years ago because of climate change. Europe experienced the little Ice Age and the Sahara went from forest to arid desert. Agriculture developed as a means of survival in both instances.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard
reply to post by spy66

Dumbest thing said in the last few pages. You denounce Zeus because he is of Greek mythology, but god is just Abrahamic mythology. Your belief in god is the exact same kind of faith that people had in Zeus. And then you say this.

God made us in his image. God didn't make himself in our image like Zeus for eksample.

Your assertion is that God made us in his image.... On what grounds do you make this statement? None.

"That which is claimed with no reason, can be denied for no reason."

Of corse this sounds dumb to you. You don't understand.
I knew that a page ago.

Dumbest thing said in the last few pages. You denounce Zeus because he is of Greek mythology, but god is just Abrahamic mythology. Your belief in god is the exact same kind of faith that people had in Zeus. And then you say this.

You see i don't just denounce Zeus just because of the Greek mythology.

I denounce Zeus because he was a human like any other human. Zeus was the child of Cronus and Rhea. The family of the Zeus tree made themselves into Gods based on their own ego. They wanted to be remembered and worshiped as Gods. The only power they had was the sword of their armies and their followers/worshipers.

They have nothing in common with The God mentioned in the Bible. And you don't really see the difference her at all. Zeus wanted to be like the God mentioned in the Bible. Zeus made him self God in the image of a human. God made us in his image.

Dont you get it yet!

The God in the Bible wasn't borne her on earth as a human from a human. The God in the Bible was never borne but always was and always is. That makes this God something totally different then Zeus and his family tree.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

They are void

The law in Georgia was void too but that didn't stop discrimination, the point is the prejudice, which one user tried to claim didn't exist.

SC tried to use their dead laws against Herb Silverman.

Fortunately, clauses establishing second-class citizenship for nonbelievers are seldom enforced. In the eyes of the legal profession, they are unenforceable because they blatantly violate the separation of church and state. Yet that didn't keep South Carolina from struggling for years to deny atheist Herb Silverman a commission as a notary public.

www.secularhumanism.org...

[edit on 3-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Sorry, I don't subscribe to you knowing the origins of agriculture- simply because you weren't around back then....and No. I don't claim to know either.
Could be a good source of a new thread;although, you'll have to post it!
Anytime I try to post a new thread, I get the message that there are similar threads etc. They live me at ATS
How many swine Flu Threads does it take to change a light bulb????

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
They have nothing in common with The God mentioned in the Bible. And you don't really see the difference her at all.

The God in the Bible wasn't borne her on earth as a human from a human. The God in the Bible was never borne but always was and always is. That makes this God something totally different then Zeus and his family tree.

Pfff. The god of the bible is anthropomorphized all the damn time. You think it impossible for Zues' image to be a similar allegory. The flying spaghetti monster was never born either, "just always was."

Also, like Zeus, god is said to have a son, the trinity is exactly the same to the family trees of the greek mythos.

Now what about gaia? it wasn't born in the way a human is born of a human either.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

They tried and failed to keep Herb whatever to be the notary. Thats why it is a dead law. It cannot be upheld.

The segregated prom you are talking about wasn't state or school supported. The school held a prom for everyone. The parents held a segregated private prom.

www.cnn.com...

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join