It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheists care about religion?

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Randy Thomas

You to see you doing your bit to break the unrelenting cycle of ostentatious indignation.

Big ups, bro!

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
Anyways atheists do you really care, or do you just want to insult people's intelligence?

A little bit of 'a', a little bit of 'b'...
Mainly it's the same as any other opinion...
Does there need to be a concrete reason?
We all spread our opinions concerning just about anything...
I really don't see why some Christians think it should be any different with religion.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
I'm very aware of coincidences and I can tell when one thing is a coincidence and one thing is not. Or is coincidence a matter of opinion?

You're living a coincidence... Saying you can tell if something is a coincidence or not is complete BS.
Everything you do, see, feel, has a probability. That probability is extremely low given any outcome, based on the vast number of scenarios.
This fact is skewed in the human mind. Because we take note of patterns and 'coincidences' that make sense to us, but not of the other trillions of scenarios that take place daily.

For example. If you pray once and your prayer is miraculously answered, do you look at all the thousands of prayers that have not been answered?
Most people do not.

Sorry, but if you base religion on something so faulty as "maybe God's trying to give me a sign", you'll end up like all the rest.
Delusional.
Looking for patterns.
Remembering the ones you see, and ignoring the countless times you didn't see jack.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
This is a detour...
Just wanted to respond, mainly for the lulz.

Originally posted by Dcotor R
Atheists suffer from a rare, more aggressive form of unwarranted self-importance.

Suffer from?
Nah...
It's a psychological balance.
You have God.
I have a feeling of self-importance.
I know this feeling of self-importance is completely illogical.
The fact that I know this just makes life more interesting.
It's a game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Atheists typically think they are smarter then you no matter what. Just try to correct them on something and prepare to be blasted away with some SERIOUS FREAKIN LOGIC!

Is the correction warranted?
Is it accurate?
Is it based on faith or logic?

Generally atheists and Christians run on two different tracks.
You have faith, I have logic which tells me how pointless faith is.

Ultimately, they will all just end up burning in Hell.

You'd like that wouldn't you?
In a sense, you need those who disagree with you to go to Hell.
That's how you cope with others arguing against your faith.
If you had logical arguments to refute what the atheist said, your "release" would be said arguments, but you do not. Your "release" is thinking to yourself "Ah well, who cares? They'll all be tortured for eternity anyway. I win."
And that's really pretty sick when you think about it...

I wouldn't wish eternal torture on my worst enemy.
But hey, that's just me...
I'm a silly atheist who has no morals. I'm probably just lying about that.

Atheists are consumed by the delusion that religion somehow is the cause of all conflict and that it is directly responsible for every war and murder that has ever occurred in history, when in reality it is just a source of major commedy for their more temperate kin.

That would be a delusion... But one I feel you have imagined to trick your mind into believing you are on the right side of the fence...
Because I've never met an atheist who says religion is the cause of ALL conflict or war.

Can you say "straw-man argument"?

Of course, most atheists fail to realize that, with or without religion, there will always be stupid people in the world who will fervently believe anything they read.

They fail to realize a concept that most 5 year olds can grasp?
Is that true? Or is that what you like telling yourself?

All atheists are liberals or libertarians with serious superiority complexes who are always willing to argue with anyone anywhere, especially Xtians.

Liberals? Don't know where you got that one...

Superiority complex? I'll admit to that one... though it's not as bad as it could be

Of course, potential adversaries usually only return fire once irritated by the atheist's shotgun blast of USI. The ones who do get into such arguments usually do so either with as little interest as possible to still maintain a conversation, or with the intent of self-defense against the never-ending waterfall of crazy that the Atheist is zealously spewing.

The fact that you are so paranoid and blowing the voice of atheism way out of proportion says a lot to me... It's something I've noticed in a lot of Christians lately... The feeling that everyone is against them.
Living in America, I just have to laugh at this absurd & delusional thought...
Over 75% of Americans consider themselves Christian...

Damn.. if you guys feel persecuted now, wait 30 years when that number falls to 45%.

Just sayin'.

Recent studies reveal that atheists tend to be privileged enough to seriously suck at life yet still not get banned from life. Thus, in an effort to prove to themselves and to the world that they aren't wasting everyone else's oxygen, they have the compulsion to argue with everyone around them that has any sort of belief set that doesn't directly involve polishing their Darwin statue.

Recent studies? What are you talking about?
The truth is, a higher percentage of educated individuals are atheists than uneducated.
The higher up the education scale you go, the less likely you're Christian.
So I don't know what studies you're looking at... Maybe they're in your Bible, in one of the Old Testament books, along with God's rampage of death and destruction.

Many of them believe that some philosopher (e.g., Fridrich Nietzsche or Karl Popper) has proved that atheism is correct. However, they will of course dismiss any philosopher that believes in God through the infallible argument that anyone that believes in a God is stupid, which means anything they say is stupid, which means that it would just be wasting the intellectually superior atheist's time.

You really are paranoid man... The reality is nothing close to what you see. And that's a scary thought.
People do crazy things when they see what isn't there.

1.They have the ability to grow neckbeards at an accelerated rate.
2.They talk to each other using sarcasm so unclear, that only other atheists can translate it.
3.They are smarter than you since they've browsed various skeptic's publications.
4.Atheists only get their knowledge of the Bible only by searching "Bible contradictions" on Google.

1) What?
2) What?
3) What?
4) I Read the Bible multiple times. One of the main things that converted me to atheism.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

4) I Read the Bible multiple times. One of the main things that converted me to atheism.

This is my favorite and saddest, of all the reasons an atheists can make for NOT believing.

They actually read the bible from cover to cover, and then decide there is no God. Which means they have such an inflated opinion of their belief structure, that they actually end up in a very informed way disagreeing with God himself.
That's free will that God gave you. You can do that.

You can also jump naked from a plane from 12,000 feet up, that would be free will too. Even though somebody smarter and wiser than you told you to suit up and put on a parachute, you defy them and say it's my choice nobody going to tell me what to do. That end result would not be pleasant.

One thing I am going to really enjoy in the future is when God resurrects all these atheists that have died over the years back to life. Then they will all be forced to acknowledge the existence of God, and forced to understand the truth of this matter.

Until then carry on joking about being evil and roasting children and eating them. Because I don't say ALL atheists are bad some have a stronger conscience's than some Christians, it called natural law, and atheists often abide by it, which can make them good people, even better than some Christians.

One atheist actually made a good point in that the christian that believes once saved always saved can then do just about anything immoral, ask for Jesus forgiveness, and do it again and again. An atheist can't do that, they don't ask a deity for forgiveness they alone live with there actions.
I got the point and agree with it. But then again I don't believe once saved always saved either.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

They actually read the bible from cover to cover, and then decide there is no God. Which means they have such an inflated opinion of their belief structure, that they actually end up in a very informed way disagreeing with God himself.

So you are going to equate the bible with god? Bibliolatry?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

If you only knew how absurd that statement/question is to a christian

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Atheism (also pronounced Eehtheism in Canada) is a fundamentalist religion which dogmatically adheres to belief in the non-existence of the God that it doesn't believe in. It is a non-prophet organization, however it does have a few demigods such as Hitchens and Dawkins. Its main scripture is titled Dawkins Delusion which is a very entertaining comic book meant to cheer up the hopeless individuals with inferior intellectual and spiritual capacity. It is believed that Atheists are a highly secretive religion devoted to private worship of their goddess of denial, Athe. Since its followers are generally fat, wear glasses, and get panic attacks when exposed to crosses, they are considered too uncool to get into a more popular religion. The goal of atheists is to destroy society by persuading people to join them in their faith through cunning arguments as to why it's better to deny than believe. Legend has it that Atheists got their powers of denial from a four-way intercourse between the all powerful goddess Athe, Charles Darwin and a garden snake. Modern anthropologists note that Atheism is as boring as hell, which Atheists don't believe in either. Since Atheists are so obsessed with reason, logic, science and math(s) they often moan during sex phrases such as "oh my Math", "mo science, mo science baby".
The fundamental tenet of Atheists is that their God Flaying a Spaghetti Monster want humans to not believe in him. Atheists live by the Atheist motto "No God, nowhere, regardless, period except for the Flaying Spaghetti Monster of course.", though most choose to state this view using completely different wording. When comfronted with questions regarding the Creation of Man, most Atheists adhere to the fundamentalist theories provided by their gods only son Richard Dawkins, who claims that the Earth was created accidentally by the Flaying Spaghetti Monster an un-supernatural huge random super-explosion called the Big Bang Meat Ball. The Big Bang Meat ball theory states clearly that this explosion was brought about by The Flaying Spaghetti Monster, who doesn't exist of course. Modern archaeologists dismiss this theory as "preposterous and unamerican."

A few Atheists, however, have expressed different yet equally shocking beliefs. Celebrity boxer and amateur theologian Mike Tyson, for example, said in an interview with Oprah that many Atheists do in fact believe in the story of Richard Dawkins, "so long as God isn't involved." Tyson is notable in that he is not only an Atheist, but also an Athlete.

The Atheists doctine also known as the Richard Dawkins doctine also know as the commandments of the Flaying Spaghetti Monster states

Amongst ye chosen peoples, empirics, by Richard Dawkins, thou shalt forever organize brethren in every purposes involving
intent to worship or give thanks to the savior of all man, Richard Dawkins.
those who disbelieve will be banished, utterly rejected and forsaken by Richard Dawkins and condemned to spend all his remaining consciousness in the festering torture
Richard Dawkins. (Hawking 3:22)

Many Atheists believe its important that Richard Dawkins doctrine is of absolute importance. Atheists worship their God "Flaying Spaghetti Monster" and their Gods only son Richard Dawkins.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Randy Thomas]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Randy Thomas

"Atheism (also pronounced Eehtheism in Canada) is a fundamentalist religion which dogmatically adheres to belief in the non-existence of the God that it doesn't believe in."

Sorry, but trying to drag atheists down to the level of theists is silly. Know we're right, and that scares you.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think you guys are right on some things and just wrong on a lot of others.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Randy Thomas
I think you guys are right on some things and just wrong on a lot of others.

One word replies are not allowed, so "Ditto" will be expanded to say:

If you think your religion is right, and all others are wrong, you're only one religion away from my position.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

well there are such things as non-theistic religions buddy.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

And how are they different from the theistic ones? It's still mysticism and woo in a shiny package.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Not really. I guess it's how you define religion. I see little difference in the methods of both sides athiests and theists. They both get on their soapbox and make rants that make themselves sound ignorant with all the bashing and name calling. This usually makes the other side look smarter, untill you hear the otherside. Then what side you take is a matter of preference. Both have their fundalmentalist crowds but sadly all we hear from is the "fundies" from both sides. the crazy sounding poster that uses bible quotes to respond to all posts and the stereotypical athiest crying about the word God being written here and there and how people don't like him bwaaaaaa. It realy gives both groups a bad name as both sides are equally retarded 99% of the time. Im sure there are sane christians and polite athiests out there at least i like to think that, but i have been proven wrong numerous times i guess i have faith that they exist.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Randy Thomas]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

One thing I am going to really enjoy in the future is when God resurrects all these atheists that have died over the years back to life. Then they will all be forced to acknowledge the existence of God, and forced to understand the truth of this matter.

What really makes you think, if that ever happens, they are going to be FORCED to acknowledge existance of God ?

I thought that God does not use the force...

So much for the free will, lol.

Even if that happened, is that really a reason enough to be on your knees day and night, to pray, to read the Bible till your eyes hurt, to LOVE God more than fellow human beings ?

If that happened I certainly would not be impressed, I fully understand and accept my mortality and place in this Universe

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

This is my favorite and saddest, of all the reasons an atheists can make for NOT believing.

That's free will that God gave you. You can do that.

You misunderstand what I'm saying.
For 18 years I was a Christian (if you count my infant years, that is).
I read the Bible from cover to cover, not because I wanted to disprove God or anything else, but because I wanted to know more about God, heaven, historic events, prophecies, etc.
When I would see a contradiction, I was at the stage of Christianity where I ignored it. That's faith. To ignore the faults and amplify the rest.
It's inherently flawed.
I started thinking more about the Bible. Putting it all into context.
It started to make less and less sense.
The God of the Old Testament: Sadistic, gives commands that are equally sadistic, is ok with killing children to free his people, even though an omnipotent God would not have to do that.
The God of the New Testament: Loving, gives commands to love your worst enemy, wouldn't hurt a fly.

Most Christians chalk that up to God's bipolar nature. He has two sides of him, and you don't want to see God's angry side
That's fine.
But that doesn't jive with me. An all powerful, all knowing God that contradicts his own commandments?

More that just that, I started looking at the "system" itself.
It makes absolutely no sense once you give it a minute's thought.
An all powerful, all knowing God creates a race and then judges them for how he created them in the first place.
That would be like me painting a picture which is crap, knowing that I had the ability to make it a masterpiece, yet punishing
the picture for being crap. Torturing it and tossing it out.
It's completely illogical on several levels.

Aside from that, there's several things in the Bible that are just plain false.
The Earth isn't flat.
You can not build a tower into heaven (people back then thought you could touch the stars if you could only go a little higher).
There are no 4 legged insects.
Noah's Ark is completely impossible on several levels. Not all animals can survive in the same temperature. Not all animals could have migrated throughout the Earth due to several reasons, oceans, temperatures, vegetation, prey, etc.
Humans have not existed for roughly 6,000 years (as would have to be, given the direct genealogy given in the Bible), there is scientific proof that humans are millions of years old.

Those things, and more, may mean little to some, but it was enough to destroy the whole basis of "The Bible is the word of God".
If those things are false, how do we know what is true or false in the Bible?
And once you get to that level of skepticism, you start to see even more contradictions and errors in the Bible.
You start to proof read it instead of look for miracles.

Then there's the idea of Hell that completely turned me away from Christianity.
No crime fits the punishment of Hell, and an all knowing God should at least know that.

You can also jump naked from a plane from 12,000 feet up, that would be free will too. Even though somebody smarter and wiser than you told you to suit up and put on a parachute, you defy them and say it's my choice nobody going to tell me what to do. That end result would not be pleasant.

Yep. Because following logic rather than blind faith is like jumping from a plane
Sorry, but those who see the reality will enjoy the rather obvious irony in that statement

If you're right, and there is an all knowing, all powerful, loving God, then I have absolutely nothing to fear either way.
I have followed my logic and reason, which tells me there's absolutely no reason to believe in a god, and several reasons not to.
If that alone is enough for a God to torture me or kill me, then I would rather not have 'faith' in such a being anyway
Perhaps my moral standard is a bit too high...

[edit on 1-5-2009 by TruthParadox]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

"
They actually read the bible from cover to cover, and then decide there is no God. Which means they have such an inflated opinion of their belief structure, that they actually end up in a very informed way disagreeing with God himself."

That's okay. He doesn't exist, so he wont' mind. Unless you have proof otherwise, of course. Which you don't.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Buddhism is nontheistic. Buddha believed that there were gods who created the earth and universe, but that they then decided to let us have our fun(essentially). We believe in gods, but don't acknowledge them as supreme. I call myself atheist because it's less complicated than explaining that. We don't worship Buddha, we acknowledge him as a great teacher, and follow his teachings.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Kiltedninja]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

If that alone is enough for a God to torture me or kill me, then I would rather not have 'faith' in such a being anyway . Perhaps my moral standard is a bit too high...

Ah here is the thing, if you die tomorrow, he wouldn't be bringing you back to torture or kill you. He is bringing you back because your ignorance has been forgiven. Even though you have the idea that it's doesn't have to be.
Bringing a person back to life after they were dead for an X number years forces them to acknowledge the Almighty who did it.

Only if the persons aesthetic tendencies to deny accountability to the creator continue after solid undeniable proof was given to them, would God then react in justified manner, and even then it's not being tortured forever, it's non-existence like you believe in anyway.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

If you only knew how absurd that statement/question is to a christian

Oh I do know how absurd it is to a christian, I was a christian a few years back.

But that is just the point isn't it. If one considers the possibility that the bible is wrong, on just one tinscy-tiny little thing, people who believe what it says will also be wrong. The assumption that something that is incorrect is correct is a fairly destructive one.

There are more than a dozen holy books in the word and each one of them proclaims to be complete truth of God and representative of him. They also proclaim that all others are wrong. They can't all be right, so either one is correct, or they all are false.

On the assumption that the bible is the correct one, consider how many billions of people are not christian, or some form thereof. They all believe that they are correct and that their respective holy book is correct. What do they have to back that belief up? Nothing, they only have faith - the exact faith that you have, since faith is defined as a belief without evidence.

Their assertion that their book is correct is no more absurd than your assertion, so what makes you think that you cannot be wrong? What is absurd is the narcissistic ideology that thinks itself incapable of error just somewhere. about something. For verily, I say unto you, that dost amounteth to close-mindedness and is but a blinder on the mind.

...Hence the signature. \/

"If you proclaim absolute truth, you are wrong!

Quod Gratis asseritur, Gratis negatur... Think about it.
"

[edit on 2-5-2009 by Welfhard]

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join