It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheists care about religion?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bilmerys
SORRY MY DEAR GOD IS GOD , AND IM SURE HE WILL BE GOD YOU BELIEVE OR NO BELIVE IN HIM, SO SO SO SORRY, GOD BLESS YOU, MAYBE YOU HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH YOURSELF, BUT BELIEVE ME, MAYBE ONE DAY SOON I CAN TO SHOW YOU HERE THE MAJESTY OF GOD, BUT THE TRUE YOU BELIEVE OR NO BELIVE HE WILL BE GOD FOR EVER AND EVER

I think a chord was hit. Guilty take the truth to be hard?
Really though.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Wow........ Ok guys are you really seriously talking about this? Atheist persecute anyone with religion. Anyone with religion persecutes anyone without it... GIVE ME A BREAK HERE PEOPLE.

You guys think Christians want more rights than everyone else? Nope we just want the same rights.

Example.

A church puts a nativity scene out during Christmas time. The atheists all chime up in one voice "take it down, no public displays of religion" etc etc. (this has already been done) but yet you put up signs saying there is no god and you expect us to just sit there and not do the same thing you just did to our nativity. Hypocrisy at work. JEEZE

The pledge of allegiance. It says under god.... OH NO!! Who cares? Its tradition!! Leave it alone. I cannot beleive the word GOD insults you. You would think i just called your mom a french hooker, and even then you would probably take it better. GROW UP!! People take and take and take from anyone who wants any freedom at all.

Example Smoking!

We gave you the planes we gave you the stores we even let you take our smoking section at restaurants. Does it stop there? no! You had to take bars too!

People in stores cant say Merry Christmas anymore?? WTF IS THAT!! Happy holidays my arse. You know I know so many atheists that celebrate Christmas because they like getting gifts.... WTF why should you get to celebrate a holiday for someone you don't even beleive in? Oh I'm sorry you like getting stuff wrapped in a box that celebrates a person you routinely insult. Good one guys.

Atheists persecute Christians plain and simple. I tell an anthiest I'm Christian they look at me like I'm a Nazi or something. If someone wants to beleive in something you have no right to take it from them. Sure we try to explain religion to you and what do you call it preaching. People asked me why i beleive in god.. You know after maybe 3 mins of talking they told me to stop preaching... after they asked me why.... wtf!

We have more important things to bicker about than this he said she said he believes she believes crap.

If you don't want to believe in god that is fine with me! Just let me believe what I want!

Let us believe in god and we will let you not believe in god sound fair? I'm tired of the constant bickering on this subject. Seriously!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

"Atheist persecute anyone with religion. "

Go you an example of that? Specifically, who have I persecuted for having a religion?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm not sure why religion needs to permeate our society.
In god we trust.
One nation under god.
etc...
It's even on the money

There are so many beliefs in the US, we simply cannot incorporate them all into society so why not simply make our individual beliefs a personal choice and call it good.

Public schools are for teaching history, science, math, english, etc... as they are currently known based on factually compiled evidence. If someones beliefs do not allow their children in public schools there's always home schooling or private schools.

There is a separation between church and state for a reason. They don't go well together. There are many examples of this.

I guess my point is that if we keep our beliefs within our own sphere of influence and do not try to force our beliefs, whatever they may be, onto others, there should be no issues right?

Live and let live
????
Doesn't that sound reasonable?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Why did we come to America in the first place? It's in our heritage whether you like it or not. Deal with it. The pope does not dictate law in the united states. The fat cats do that. So the word "God" comes up a few times. Its part of who we are, whether you believe in god or not.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
"Example Smoking!

We gave you the planes we gave you the stores we even let you take our smoking section at restaurants. Does it stop there? no! You had to take bars too!"

What does smoking have to do with anything?I know plenty of christians who smoke.
That's right you believe in what you want and I will believe in what I want yet you are the one ranting.
I'am tired of christians saying we gave you,you didn't give anyone anything.What have you done for society lately? Some of the greatest minds in history were athiest.
Interesting thought is how many men and women claimed to be good christians when in reality they were agnostic and atheists.But,had to walk the walk to hold their positions and titles.Because they would be persecuted for not conforming to what many believe to be the norm.
To all those who say atheists have no morals please look in the mirror we have freedom we do not have to conform to silly religious rules and be told if you do or dont do this your going to burn in hell for eternity.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dee132423

What have you done for society lately? Sure some of the greatest minds where athiests, and some of the greatest minds where not athiests.

Your insinuating that the non-smokers did not take the bars away from the smokers? You obviously live in a state where you can still smoke in a bar.

You don't owe me anything. I'd prefer that I was left alone with my beliefs instead of being constantly attacked for them. I did not say you did not have morals. You made that up. You are packed with hatred young one. Who is the hypocrite in this scenario?

[edit on 14-4-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by jfj123

Why did we come to America in the first place? It's in our heritage whether you like it or not. Deal with it. The pope does not dictate law in the united states. The fat cats do that. So the word "God" comes up a few times. Its part of who we are, whether you believe in god or not.

We came to America across the Asian-American land bridge. We were happy here until the Europeans arrived. And they came here to escape religious persecution, so the atheists are more in tune with the "Founders" than the religious people.

And it is not a part of "who we are", it's a contrivance foisted on us by neolithic savages who couldn't explain the world any better than "Big Sky God make sun go."

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

Our heritage is also bathed in blood, theft, intolerance. It doesn't make it right nor should it be something we should just accept. As you say, it's part of who we are but it's not part of what we strive to be. We can be better then who we are and accepting what we are as you suggest is defeatest and what America was founded on to begin with.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by jfj123]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

"You don't owe me anything. I'd prefer that I was left alone with my beliefs instead of being constantly attacked for them. I did not say you did not have morals. You made that up. You are packed with hatred young one. Who is the hypocrite in this scenario?"
Your not the only one being attacked it is both sides attacking one another.
I never said you specifically stated that about the morals it was towards other people who posted that.
I'am not packed with hate I care about all of humanity whether their beliefs are in line with mine or not.I still drop money into the salvation army bucket and tell them merry christmas.Our churches still put out nativity scenes and go caroling it does'nt bother me a bit most are wonderful singers and I listen to them.I do not smoke my husband does though and we live in illinois which is a smoke free state.
I see the word hypocrite flying around alot one attacks the other so the other attacks back so I suppose that makes most of us hypocrites.
Edit:As a wife and mother to 4 if young one was only true.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by dee132423]

[edit on 14-4-2009 by dee132423]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Why did we come to America in the first place?

When you say, "we" who do you mean?
The Puritans? Is that your particular denomination?
The tired, the poor, the huddled masses?
Early Man crossing the land bridge from Asia? I won't get into that one as it's a bit long.

If you mean the Puritans, and the colonization of the Eastern seaboard:

* To get there before the Roman Catholics did
* To have the freedom to practice their own beliefs

Freedom to practice their own beliefs away from the growing persecution from other Christian denominations. They felt that they could no longer tolerate how they were directly affected by the influence of the other christian denominations on the laws of England.

Sound familiar?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

"Freedom to practice their own beliefs away from the growing persecution from other Christian denominations. They felt that they could no longer tolerate how they were directly affected by the influence of the other christian denominations on the laws of England."

The Huguenots would have come over, but, on orders from Rome, the French pretty much killed them all. After they were dead they were no longer persecuted however, so that's all good.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Strangely, I am from a part of London that was heavily populated by refugee Huegenots. They actually settled in nicely and created a huge textile industry. There are streets named after them.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Sorry Gawdzilla, I was still fuming a bit. Didn't mean to jump on your point there. Very valid.

I just really get foamed up with the "we founded this country on Christianity" thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
Strangely, I am from a part of London that was heavily populated by refugee Huegenots. They actually settled in nicely and created a huge textile industry. There are streets named after them.

They were Prots, so England was pretty their only hope.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
Sorry Gawdzilla, I was still fuming a bit. Didn't mean to jump on your point there. Very valid.

I just really get foamed up with the "we founded this country on Christianity" thing.

Not a problem. The Founding Fathers were very different from the image we have of them today. Too much filtering, too much "reinterpretation".

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Wow........ Ok guys are you really seriously talking about this? Atheist persecute anyone with religion. Anyone with religion persecutes anyone without it... GIVE ME A BREAK HERE PEOPLE.

... You didn't have to post, you know.

You guys think Christians want more rights than everyone else? Nope we just want the same rights.

We want to be able to hold office in all states, but unfortunately we don't get to cos "only people of faith have what it takes" apparently.

A church puts a nativity scene out during Christmas time. The atheists all chime up in one voice "take it down, no public displays of religion" etc etc. (this has already been done) but yet you put up signs saying there is no god and you expect us to just sit there and not do the same thing you just did to our nativity. Hypocrisy at work. JEEZE

I'm not advocating that the religious don't get their nativity scene, they have every right to it, I don't care. Although considering the pagan roots of Christmas, Christians don't exactly have the right to bitch about the idea that Santa is encroaching on baby Jesus' turf during the season. (this has happened before).

The pledge of allegiance. It says under god.... OH NO!! Who cares? Its tradition!!

It's a matter of principle, dude- it's unconstitutional. I'm astounded that you don't get why that is important, more important than 150 years of "tradition" as if that somehow makes the christian augmentation of a once secular thing right.

People in stores cant say Merry Christmas anymore?

And this upsets you that much? You like your tradition, don't you. But again, I'm not advocating this - you'll likely find this is for all the other faiths out there as much as it is the non-faith.

Atheists persecute Christians plain and simple. I tell an anthiest I'm Christian they look at me like I'm a Nazi or something.

If you took the time to actually understand these people, you'll know that they get told about God and Jesus a lot from Christians - that's what Christians often do. They are just hoping you're not going to be like the rest. You say "I'm a Christian." and there is a conditioned response in the atheist's head "Damnit! Must dissociate before I get told about his special friend again."

We have more important things to bicker about than this he said she said he believes she believes crap.

Good of you to post, then.

If you don't want to believe in god that is fine with me! Just let me believe what I want!

Same to you, that is the point here.

I'd prefer that I was left alone with my beliefs instead of being constantly attacked for them.

You're part of a powerful majority, powerful enough to make Law, we all remember that Prop 8 thing awhile back.

You ought try and help stop creationism getting taught in schools, you ought help stop laws being passed that discriminate again people who aren't the majority etc. Then you have just reason to get angry when people don't tolerate Christianity pushing them around.

Just for laughs:

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I always love how these conversations always degrade into pissing contests and ego-thons about who makes the wittiest comment. I was sure of this degradation when I returned from work and got exactly what I expected.

Ah well, maybe there's some intelligent debate about life's origin somewhere on the net. Maybe not.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I am an atheist. In order to have taken that stance I have considered all of the alternatives - which do not, as I see it, offer me anything I 'need' to live my life any better. I don't care about religion or why people need it, but I do think it's important to know about different faiths - considering a lot of the world believe in one!

I find religion very interesting as a concept, which is very different to 'caring' about it and its wellbeing. I don't think you can call yourself an Atheist unless you are interested in religion. I don't find what religious people have to say about their faith very interesting. Religion as a whole is.

People like Richard Dawkins are a little militant and I must say that the buses were just stupid, as was the bus driver. He knew Christians would get offended and that is just juvenile. The bus driver didn't mind about the fact that Alpha Course posters are all over the place, and had no tolerance for other beliefs or intellect to see he was being baited by a complete idiot. Fail.

My film lecturer once described perfectly, in my view, what an Atheist is. Luis Bunuel, a very awesome Spanish film director had a run-in with a priest. As an Atheist, Bunuel was thoroughly disliked by the Catholic church in Spain. The priest said to him: "If you hate religion so much, why don't you just go and urinate on the font?" Bunuel replied "Because I'm an Atheist. The font is no different to any other pile of bricks in my view, so I wouldn't pick it out specifically in order to urinate on it."

Bunuel worked at a time when it was very taboo to slander the church, and poked fun of it at every opportunity. I'm sure that he did this as an Atheist because contextually, many aspects of life were restricted by the church which he saw as lunacy. Sometimes, Atheists have to comment on religion - when it affects and restricts their way of life. That is a good reason Mr Bush was very unpopular in our camp

I think it would be pretty insane that nobody would examine or question something which affects millions of people. It doesn't give me the right to say someone is stupid to believe in a God, but I do have a right to educate myself on why people do - and share my conclusions with whomever asks me for them.

So that is my two cents. Atheists are interested in religion, otherwise they wouldn't have a stance on it. They don't really 'care' about it, which connotes a emotional feeling towards it, because it is something to be scrutinised and studied. It's cold, but entirely fair.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by blackmesa

"Atheists are interested in religion, otherwise they wouldn't have a stance on it."

I was as disinterested as I could possibly be about religion for most of my life. I didn't even care that elements in the US were trying to make atheism illegal. "I don't care enough about religion to consider myself an atheist." I now realize that was a cop-out. That's when I became a militant atheist. As a military man most of my adult life it was an easy move. Today I'm more Christopher Hitchens than Richard Dawkins.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join