It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheists care about religion?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
But can we feel anything with our brain. Or does feelings accrue somewhere else but the brain. I mean we have thoughts and images in our brain but do we feel the emotions there as well.

Yes. All that we experience ourselves doing, thinking, feeling etc is just our brain doing it's think.

Our brain is divided into countless structures with specific and unique function. Emotions, thoughts, memory, personality and processing of the 10+ senses is done in different regions of the brain. Sight for instance is process buy the back end of the brain.

When there is damage to the brain, the affects of the damage will be different depending on 'where' it is.

I can't tell you this categorically, as a psychology student.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
The question should be :Why do people become Atheists?

Huh??! So actually you are saying that when someone is born he automatically believes in a god? But at a certain age some of them become atheist?

That is rather silly don't you think?

It is actually the other way around!

For example: when a person is raised by wolves (like some stories tell us) he will most certainly not believe in a god. Because 'god' is just a way to keep large groups of people in control. A guy raised by wolves will never wonder if there is a god. This is because 'god' is invented or made up by humans...Wolves couldn't care less.

So please...Don't wonder 'Why do people become Atheists?', because you do not 'become' a atheist, you just are. your surroundings are responsible for a believe in a god.

So in short: People are born atheists but their surroundings (parents, family, school, village) make them a 'christian' or a 'muslim' or whatever religion is at hand when growing up.

It's all so logical...And I am not a very logical person...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kcire

Huh??! So actually you are saying that when someone is born he automatically believes in a god? But at a certain age some of them become atheist?

That's not what (s)he meant and you know it. By "person" (s)he meant person at the age of reason.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I could not care less who is an atheist. I find it funny that atheists care so deeply about those who do believe in God.

I've never in my life been compelled to open websites, make t-shirts, put signs on buses and have debates about Santa Claus. Why? Because I don't believe in Santa.

This neo-atheist revolution (As I call it), led by snooty British men with nothing else of importance in their lives to do other than spend their lives convincing the great unwashed that they mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, do nothing more for me than provide entertainment.

I'm just as disappointed in theists who spend their lives trying to convince the world that there is a God and entertain these snooty British men by having debates about it. They usually end up getting laughed at by uppity college kids sitting in the audience and it's humiliating to watch.

There's no argument that can prove or disprove God, and I won't waste one second trying to do either. In my heart, I know that we originate from intelligence. That's enough for me.

As much as these neo-atheists would like to call me a 'moron' or whatever ad-hominem they think is completely professional sounding to spew about us- I think it's just as moronic to take an honest look at this world and universe and say it didn't come from intelligent thought.

Most of you agree whether you'd like to openly admit or not. Don't believe me? Every time you hear a scientist say "Nature's way" or "Nature's design" or "Life has a way" or even more laughable "Evolution's design"... who exactly do you think they are referring to?

No matter what name science gives God- be it 'mother nature' or 'a force' or 'life' or 'energy', it's God and they believe in the same God that I do.

So-called scientists can't seem to get around the fact that SOMETHING designed life and the rest of creation. It comes up in just about every article I've read dealing with life and creation. I find it hilarious that they take credit away from a creator by calling it something, anything else.

Most of your [atheists] problem- is you can't seem to get the image of some white haired old man, sitting on a throne of clouds, watching us while we sleep and judging our every move. Sorry, not even the Bible gives that literal description. That's Santa Claus, not God. The Bible describes God as without form. But we're not talking about the biblical Christian God, who popular atheists always seem dead set on attacking. These major atheists are helping the public image of God to be something God is not.

Stop fighting yourselves, is all I say. If you really think that everything came from 'nothing', or even more weakly that 'we just don't know what happened' then you're only fooling yourself. It's quite obviously clear that we came from something. The question science asks is where, what and how. Science and neo-atheists are fighting to take the 'why' out of the equation. Because when you ask "Why are we here" you have to have a reason and purpose. That purpose had to have a source of reasoning.

I offer no proof or evidence- even circumstantially of what God is, I'm talking from how I feel. That may not be good enough for a scientist, but I don't feel we need a scientific answer for everything in order to understand it.

Stop looking for God, you'll never find anything to look at. Just look at what makes sense. We're here. We're obviously well prepared to be here. Life is obviously well prepared for Earth and vise-versa. This, to me is a form of love... the beauty of creation is to me, love. Everything was put here for us to enjoy and participate. It is human beings that willfully screw everything up. Not God or religion. Period. God was loving enough to give us that option and not create robots that only serve his programming.

TLDR- I understand

[edit on 14-4-2009 by RoughKut]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RoughKut

"I could not care less who is an atheist. I find it funny that atheists care so deeply about those who do believe in God. "

I don't care about people who believe in God. I care about people who think *I* should believe in God. Those are the ones that should be aware that I won't be shoved in an oven because I don't believe like they do.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
"WE THE ATHEIST" care because religious fanatics are destroying our world..slowing down our evolution (technological,intellectual,etc/) and killing people in the name of the "Lord"....

we are sharing this planet you know... keep your BS inside your own homes, creeps...

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Science needs BRAKES mate.. science has no sense of when to STOP.

Religion just needs more sense full stop.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Theres a writer named Sam Harris (check his web site www.samharris.org... ) his book 'The End of Faith' does a good job in explaining away organized religion.
The End of Faith can be read/found here
www.esnips.com...
his new book Letter to a Christian Nation can be read/found here
www.esnips.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoughKut
As much as these neo-atheists would like to call me a 'moron' or whatever ad-hominem they think is completely professional sounding to spew about us- I think it's just as moronic to take an honest look at this world and universe and say it didn't come from intelligent thought.

So you accuse us of making ad hominems about you guys and then turn right around and ad hominem us?

Phew I don't even think I need call this one.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I care because "believing" mean mental stagnation.

Believing (in anything) does not require common sense, logic, investigation, inquiry, research, going into the matter in order to find the truth.

I am deeply saddened that so many my fellow human beings are led into this false mental state.

==============

If we all would work to find evidence to everything people believe in, we would possibly discover so much stuff that we would not need to believe in anything.

We would KNOW.

Sincerely

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer_X

Don't be daft. Science is the driving force of human advancement. If anything, science needs afterburner.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With
"WE THE ATHEIST" care because religious fanatics are destroying our world..slowing down our evolution (technological,intellectual,etc/) and killing people in the name of the "Lord"....

Is that right?

Why did Gutenberg invent the printing press? Do you know?

For what cause did Isaac Newton give up his pursuit of science? Or, for that matter, what did some of the greatest minds in science say on this subject? On WHY they said that the material world could be understood through study? Do you even know your own history?

How many hospitals were started by atheists? How many orphanages? How many schools? Can you even name one? Who started Harvard, Yale, and Columbia. WHY were they started?

Go read "The Irrational Atheist" for an extended rebuttal to your "killing people in the name of the Lord" spiel. Oh, but you don't want to do that, because it has actual FACTS in it.

When the number of people killed "in the name of the Lord" exceed 50 million, as that is the generally accepted number of people killed by a SINGLE atheist (Stalin), then we can talk.

Until then.... bye.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer_X

Religion just needs more sense full stop.

You're right, they should have stopped before they invented penicillin. Or the computer. Or at least before they learned to control electricity. The good old days, eh?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

When the number of people killed "in the name of the Lord" exceed 50 million, as that is the generally accepted number of people killed by a SINGLE atheist (Stalin), then we can talk.

Until then.... bye.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by sir_chancealot]

I cannot believe you made this statement.

The number of people killed in the name of "the lord" far exceeds any other reason.

Small example: en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 4/14/09 by prizim]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

I didn't argue that name calling was the problem, so your implication of hypocrisy doesn't really fly here.

If you call me stupid, generally speaking, I see a reason to say the same thing was my point. I think I said it clearly enough.

---

And to the other comment that "religion" is killing the world and rational thought and the cause of violence and all that stuff I always hear. That argument is tired. Religion causes nothing. People cause everything. Following Christianity, Islam, Judaism and etc doesn't cause war and death. People do. People and their twisted rationalization. "Guns don't kill people"

As one person already said, many more people murder in the name of power and greed than in the name of "God". Or at least just as many. People like to bring up Stalin and Hitler, but many people forget or are ignorant to the fact that there's estimates of up to 100 million Native American deaths attributed to "Manifest Destiny". Religion has nothing to do with that.

Many of the world's most intense genocides has little to do with faith. More to do with power and greed. Moving on...

I enjoy science very much, but like I said I don't need a scientific proof to enjoy or have an understanding of every single thing. For instance, I know a cup holds liquid, if that cup has a hole it cannot hold liquid. I don't need a scientist to tell me how this happens to enjoy my coffee.

I also don't need a scientist to tell me why I'm here. Why I feel joy, pain, sorrow, anger. They can tell me how it works, but they can't tell me why and I am cool with that.

If scientists can one day explain why, how and from what everything came, I am willing to listen to reason. I'm not oblivious to solid proof. As of right now, there's no hope of this ever happening. Right now, I rely on my faith of a loving creator to answer WHY I'm here.

I don't need to know what God looks like. I don't need to be able to have a conversation with God to know of the existence. Same as I'll never see an atom, air, energy itself to know it's there.

Just like many of you atheists think we're stupid and intrusive for having faith in something and not relying on science to be our backbone for everything we stand for, I feel that I have a right just like you to think whatever I want.

If you want prayer out of school, God removed from your money, God completely out of your sight, that's your deal. Fight that fight. Who cares? But don't call us morons and stupid for thinking something and feeling something. You do the same exact thing.

In fact, I think it is HIGHLY offensive that myself or my son would get in trouble for praying in school because it "offends" people. We should all have the right to offend people as long as it doesn't harm others.

Seems to me, that many atheists have trouble with being selfish pricks and they want everything THEIR way. Funny, that's the same thing they accuse us of. Many atheist are on a quest to rid the world of religion and God. That's silly, infantile and completely selfish behavior.

Fact is, many of you refuse to believe in God for the wrong reasons. You have a poor understanding of what you believe. Because there is suffering and pain in the world? Nonsense.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I was born atheist.

I was raised Christian.

I turned "atheist" (in some sense...)

The way I look at is this...we are so small and saying there is nothing "supreme" out there is just as bad as denying it...IMO of course.

Also, one more beef with Christianity is how many people act as if those who are accepted into the Church are not their leaders or anything...

You got the priest raping kids.
You got the RICH pastors who dedicated their life to poverty.
You got the holy wars.
Etc, etc.

But in the end, everyone is forgiven who wants to be...

To much hocus pocus for me.

Why do Atheists care about religion? I will use this example - even though it is very drastic.

Want to be come president? The chances of an out-spoken atheistic president is slim, because of all the judgmental people who would turn a blind eye to him for his views - no matter how little they truly know about one.

While you live under god in this life, I will live under myself.

And if it is "real"...I will just say sorry and get a slip into heaven.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoughKut
I didn't argue that name calling was the problem, so your implication of hypocrisy doesn't really fly here.

Yea it does fly here, calling us morons after accusing us of calling you morons is entirely hypocritical.

If you call me stupid, generally speaking, I see a reason to say the same thing was my point. I think I said it clearly enough.

I've not called you guys stupid in any of my posts, yet apparently we atheists rag of you faithfuls. Puzzling.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

"The way I look at is this...we are so small and saying there is nothing "supreme" out there is just as bad as denying it...IMO of course."

My take is, there is nothing to show there is something "supreme" out there. If proof appears, AMEN. Without proof, TFB.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

I'm not going to ignore you, because you obviously have trouble understanding what I'm saying. But I'm not going to go back and forth with you either.

So I'm done with that particular point. I've said it as clearly as I can. Think whatever you want to think, basically. I'm a hypocrite if you like.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by RoughKut]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

"My take is, there is nothing to show there is something "supreme" out there. If proof appears, AMEN. Without proof, TFB. "

I ask you one question out of curiosity: What "proof" of God would be sufficient for you?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join