It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black man's killing by police shakes La. town

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Black man's killing by police shakes La. town

www.foxnews.com

Homer, La. - ...Bernard Monroe led a life in this northern Louisiana town as peaceful as they come...a 73-year-old retired power company lineman, was gunned down by police...outside his home during a family cookout.

Homer police...chased Monroe's son, Shaun, 38...to his father's house. Two white police officers followed him. Within minutes...an unidentified officer tasered him...

Bernard Monroe confronted the officer. Police...shot at him through a screen door. "didn't have a gun"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
What an aweful tragedy. A retired man with no criminal record gets shot & killed at his home, by local police who had a beef with the man's son!

Several witnesses said Bernard had a sports bottle of water in his hands, not a gun. They accuse police of planting the gun.

I know it's not just me who thinks the police have become more forceful in recent years, what about you?

How could the officer inside the house determine his partner was in mortal danger from Mr. Monroe, who was only concerned about his son's safety, being tasered?

I would certainly be upset if a cop were tasering MY son, wouldn't you?

Do you think these cops should face legal consequences?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
why say black man's killlings as the headline

i never see white man's killing
or white guman going crazy
or crazy chinese man eats man on greyhound bus
or any of that

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It is fox, so what do you expect.

Just another case of the police mad people killing anyone they want.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
F***!!!!

I wanted to post a forum thread about this when I saw it on Yahoo! News, but luckily I checked around for quicker people.

But that's not what I'm mad about.

I'm MAD ABOUT THIS:

Police said Monroe was shot after he pointed a gun at them, though no one claims Monroe fired shots. Friends and family said he was holding a bottle of sports water. They accuse police of planting a gun he owned next to his body.

"Mr. Ben didn't have a gun," said 32-year-old neighbor Marcus Frazier, who was there that day. "I saw that other officer pick up the gun from out of a chair on the porch and put it by him."

Frazier said Monroe was known to keep a gun for protection because of local drug activity.

Despite the chase and Tasering, Shaun Monroe was not arrested. He and other relatives would not comment afterward.

Monroe's gun is being DNA-tested by state police. The findings of their investigation will be given to District Attorney Jonathan Stewart, who would decide whether to file charges.

The case also has led to FBI and State Police investigations and drawn attention from national civil rights leaders.

"We've had a good relationship, blacks and whites, but this thing has done a lot of damage," said Michael Wade, one of three blacks on the five-member town council. "To shoot down a family man that had never done any harm, had no police record, caused no trouble. Suddenly everyone is looking around wondering why it happened and if race was the reason."

OMG!!!!!

Does this STINK of corruption or what? Does this STINK of police cover-ups and unfair treatment? Well, of course the police can say whatever they want and get away with it, Mr Ben isn't going to stand on up and defend himself anymore, is he?!?!

The race issue is not a No. 1 concern to me, though of course it IS a concern. The reason, ModernAcademia (cool name btw), why black man's killing is put as the headline is because the history of colored men have been more... shall we say, turbulent.

If this was a scenario of a robbery, or a fistfight, with a black man killed by white man, or vice versa, NO FUSS would have been made about it.

However, this is a man who is elderly, who has seen the past and thought that the fight against racial crime was over, who did nothing except enjoy the barbecue with BOTH WHITE AND BLACK NEIGHBORS, and who was probably thinking that his son was being chased by drug dealers and hence took out his gun...

BUT WITHOUT CLARIFICATION...

BANG!

Only the shooter was the policeman, jumping to conclusions, thinking the son pulled a gun on him, thinking there was intention to shoot, making the assumption that just because he was black, he was readily violent.

Well, sure, there is that criminal record, but...

OKAY, ANYWAY, THAT PIECE OF NEWS I BOLDED IS ABSOLUTELY CAUSE TO DISCUSS!!!

Conspiracy faking by Homer police!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

OH IM SO PISSED.

Can people take note of the bolded sections!!!

Gah.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

This is just another case that speaks to the need for the public to have a means to test and qualify the caliber of individual we charge with the responsibility to protect and serve, while giving them the authority to take away our freedom and liberty.....We should demand a morally straight character,alcohol and drug free individual with a good sense of what is right and wrong.....This should be a demanding requisite for any body in law enforcement.....by the way,what ever happened to Criminal Justice??

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
isn't it funny how people will always accept a story from the MSM if it supports there ideas and beliefs... now if the article is contradictory then its just typical MSM propaganda.

just saying

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

Perhaps.....The sons decision to resist and flee set this whole tragedy in motion....This is not to deminsh the depth and serverity of the final outcome....I can.t see where being black or white would matter..If a white guy resisted and fled they would have pursued him also....black crime in this country is disproporionate to the percentage of the overall population blacks represent....We are all obliged to respect the law and to live under it if we expect to remain a civilized society....

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Wow...just last week a black 18 yr old stabbed a white cab drive 19 times in the head for 20 bucks..it did't make nat. headlines or the ATS post, until now sincse I brought it up..

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I was born and raised in a Chicago suburb, and lived there until 1995, when I moved further north, and then to the desert southwest, and from there to Louisiana.

Let me tell you, Louisiana is like a planet unto itself.

I have lived in several different areas of the state since Katrina. In not one of those towns did I encounter anything different. Racism is rampant in all areas of that state to such a degree, it's appalling! Now, I can understand elderly people getting away with using the "N" word, but I was amazed at the amount of everday folks, even young children who use the word. Boy, did I get the looks whenever I tried to correct people on using that word! There is little blending of races as far as tolerance goes. It was all to clear to me, that it is an "us and them" situation all the way around.

The majority of white people I have met in that state, are convinced that they are better than black people. A lot of them actually believe that black people are a different race, and I'm not joking here.

Ignorance is alive and well in Louisiana, and my suggestion to anyone who is a member of ATS, that if you want to move there, you will be frustrated to no end with what you will see and experience.

This story does not surprise me in the least, as I am conviced that being black is a reason enough for the police to taser you, even if they just suspect you of something.

Planting a gun next to the body? This doesn't amaze me either. The "good 'ol boy," attitude of the coppers in that state is alive and well, also. While I have no proof, I am convinced this type of thing happens all the time, and we just don't hear about it.

I hope that this becomes a huge issue with people taking to the streets.

If you think I am being biased on this because of the race I happen to be, you are wrong, as I am a white, middle class woman.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well you did not live there long enough..yoy have no clue what you are talking about..you probably live din New Orleans..the killing ground second to Detroit/..due to the black population..I do not consider your short stay..an authority on what Louisana is all about..I lived here 60 yrs..and can tell you all about it..you my friend are not an expert on this state..

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by booky

Double standard !!! It is time society demands complience from the black community instead of cowaring behind this rediculous phenomonom known as political correctness.....The american tax payer has spent trillions of dollars raising this segment of our society and all we get is a charge of racism and discrimination....It is time for genuine rightous black leadership and lets stop kissing black ass...The reason white on black crime gets the attention of this cowardly media is because it is news...Black on white crime is the norm....

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by booky
Well you did not live there long enough..yoy have no clue what you are talking about..you probably live din New Orleans..the killing ground second to Detroit/..due to the black population..I do not consider your short stay..an authority on what Louisana is all about..I lived here 60 yrs..and can tell you all about it..you my friend are not an expert on this state..

I have lived there since November of 2004. I have lived all over the state, from coastal areas, to inland areas.

So, why don't you set me staight with your expertise on the state?

I'm not sure where you are going here. Are you going to defend the actions of the police?

Explain to me how what I have witnessed is different from what I have said?

Oh, and by the way, I can also say that after having lived there for a while, that the education system of the state needs an overhauling.

Either most people of the state are really stupid, or most of them just attend school for fun! I have never seen so many illiterate people in my life!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Am I concerned IF these officers shot the father and planted a gun? YES...if they did plant a weapon they should face jail time for that action.

Other then that, this story is BS! All the FACTS in this case ARE NOT being presented...I promise you that...and I can also see by the tone of the article alone and the fact that "black" had to be involved in the first place tells me that this is just another fishing expedition by the black community. Don't believe that, just look who led the protest...one of the most racist men in America! The scumbag Al Sharpton!

If the black community was smart they would cut ties with people like Sharpton & Jackson...even Stevie Wonder can see these two rejects hold back their culture more then help them.

[edit on 4/11/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Please Stay On Topic

The topic of this thread is presented here. Please note that the topic is not who we are, what we think of other members (ad hominem), or what sort of authority we might be on the subject (appeal to authority).

All members are welcome to express their opinions in accordance with the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, and that's all the authority anyone needs on ATS.

Obviously this is a sensitive issue, and tempers will naturally flare. That's understandable, but it is nonetheless imperative that we maintain an atmosphere of civility at all times, lest the topic be lost in the noise of pointless flame wars.

Please do your best to focus on the topic and avoid unnecessary acrimony. Rude or off-topic posts will be subject to removal.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Finally:

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

Mod note: Please read this. -- Majic

[edit on 4/11/2009 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link