It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20/20 show on guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

20/20 show on guns

This thread is about the 20/20 show airing now.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I am watching the 20/20 episode on guns right now, and my thoughts right off the bat is well... let's talk about this one. So far they have done a test to see if people in high stress situations can even pull out their gun and shoot at the intruding man with a gun. The funny thing is, is that when the intruder comes into the classroom where everyone is, he points the gun and fires right at the ONE person that has a concealed gun. hahaha. What kind of test is this? They have done 3 of these scenerios and each time the intruding gunner shoots the one classmate who has a gun, first.

I would like to hear everyones thoughts.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
They are now asking kids what they would do if they were President about guns. The interview keeps saying " So keep them locked away" Yes keeping your guns locked up in the house can prevent children from obtaining them... his tone though reminded me of almost getting rid of the gun like locking away people in jail. Lock people away and you keep them from society.

Just another update.

MBF

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Exactly how did the shooter know that the one person had the gun? Not exactly a real world situation I would think. If you do have a gun then you would not want to just stand up and try to get your gun out and make yourself known to be getting your gun out, you would wait and pick the time you want to strike when the attacker is not paying any attention to you.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by MBF]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
These shows are just trying to desensitize people into believing guns are bad, and law abiding citizens shouldn't have them.

Of course children will pick up a gun, just like they would pick up a knife, and would look into your kitchen products and even drink them...

And law abiding citizens with concealed guns have to go through a training in order to have their concealed weapon permit, most of these Americans are better trained than these regular people taken off the streets. And of course there is the fact that these tests were rigged, just like the other show about children taking guns...

If you leave your children alone, they can harm themselves or another child even without guns.

I say we boycot these news media who are obviously working together with the present administration to disarm the American people.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
While they attempted to state a neutral position at the beginning ("We want to say right off the bat that this is not about the right to own firearms" or something along those lines) I'm seeing a bias so far.

When someone bursts in to a crowded room, guns blazing, of course he's going to be able to shoot a lot of people without much challenge. That's a given - a gun would obviously not save you in that situation unless, like the cop said, you had stress training.

I'll wait until the end before I make a final decision. There's still another 25 minutes.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Relative Five

That makes sense actually, if you go through military or police training you are taught to shoot or neutralize the first person you see who you immediately perceive as a danger. People do this instinctively but the person holding the weapon also may be sending out body language.

Hate to offend certain gun nuts on here but I am watching and you really need to think about what they are saying. They are telling the truth and in particular about gun shows and illegal sales.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Just finished the show.

My thoughts:

It was a trained instructor attacking a student who either only had experience with accuracy or no training at all. Even if the inexperienced person were the most levelheaded person ever, they would lose. An accurate study would have been an instructor versus instructor or noob versus noob.

They gave some very unbelievable numbers about gun deaths. Either they embellished or they got the numbers from the Brady campaign.

The college kids who picked up the guns and messed around with them had probably never been properly instructed. I'm willing to bet the only guy who said "you don't know if that's loaded" and "check the safety" was the only person who had any safety training, which by the way, is pretty basic and easy-to-remember stuff. Plus it's common sense you don't look down the barrel with a gun...

I could write more but that's all I've got off the top of my head.

Disclaimer:

I'm not a gun nut. I don't think a gun solves everything. The news report did have some good advice in all of the propaganda: run away if you can. Far better to run away and live to fight another day as the saying goes.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Son Of Liberty]

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Son Of Liberty]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The part about the gun show does scare me.

The reporter of the show and a brother of a girl who was killed in the VT shootings go to a gun show in Virginia and buy a whole shlew of guns without registration or ID.

Now that scares me.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I just saw the entire show. This is nothing more than propaganda by gun-grabbers trying to find more excuses to ban firearms.

These people should be ashamed, and Omar should be fighting for the ability of people, like his sister, to be able to have firearms, instead of trying to use her death as his excuse to try to ban firearms.

I feel for his loss, but he is desecrating the death of his sister, by using her for his anti-gun agenda.

i wonder if these same gun-grabbers will try to ban the regular alcohol you can buy at any farmacy, if a criminal decides to make molotov coktails from 70%-90% alcohol...

Are these gun-grabbers going to demand that alcohol and all flammables be banned too? or that licenses be required to buy any flammable?..

And this show was not about the right of people to own and bear arms?....

They even had a BRADY gun-grabber at the show, these people are nothing more than hypocrites.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Propaganda, and desensitization as was already pointed out.

The best thing to do, is educate people about proper firearm handling, and encouraging pounding a couple thousand rounds down range.

Ever watched an IPSC competition? You know, where your handgun is in the holster, the beep goes off, you remove the firearm, and commence fire at a certain target, x number of feet away, and Accuracy is best?

Yeah for those of us who are familiar with guns, it's pretty entertaining to watch.

In a high stress situation - you're damn right, people will falter.

BUT.

Preparation and practice - can help with that... Real life simulation programs (such as the C7 simulator program used for Canadian Soldiers) is just one example of a program (though slightly modified) would help with the nerves...

And to rig the question and condition the small children with sponge minds about guns being "bad" - is in my opinion wrong. Perhaps I'm too liberal in that sense, but I believe (and perhaps this is just because I was raised around guns) that everyone should be familiar with firearms.

- Carrot

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I saw previews of the show, and when they showed little children pointing guns at each other and themselves, I decided not to even look at this piece of tabloid journalism at its worse.

In tests, the people know they are in a test, so they will react differently. They also know they are on camera, and will "act" for the show.

When I was a security guard, I had to pull my gun twice. I was taught to never aim it unless your next step is pulling the trigger. The first time I pulled my gun, someone's dog was running toward me in attack mode. The look on the owner's face when I pulled my gun out was that of horror at the thought I was going to shoot their dog. They managed to get the dog before I aimed at the dog, but I did not know this strange dog baring its teeth at me and running in my direction.

The second time I pulled it, there was someone driving along side my security route with their lights off. They started driving toward me and flashed on their brights. They did a few other threatening moves, and I put my hand on my gun holster. When they clearly saw that I drew my gun (I did not aim at them, as it would of been the last thing they would ever see.), they quickly sped off. I was terrified in both situations, and did not want to go for my gun. I am glad I was armed, as I do not know what would of happened in either situation.

I have also taught my sons respect for guns and how to handle them. I firmly believe in the Second Amendment, and would never allow a law to hinder it.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Whenever I try clicking on the link it says 'this document contains no information'. Does anybody else have another link for it please. I'd love to watch this as Ive had a growing attachment to guns for a while now.

However from the sounds of what other people on this board have to say about this documentary, Im guessing they dont do a very good job giving unbiased information or viewpoint on the issue.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Adam West

It is rather ironic that these reports are very anti-gun, yet the majority of the reporters out there carry concealed handguns. I know this as fact because my father worked on a news crew, and told us which reporters packed heat. They only do those types of shows for ratings, not for information.

top topics

join