It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-smoking extremists losing in North Carolina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Anti-smoking extremists losing in North Carolina

www.examiner.com< br />

The proposed ban on smoking in restaurants and other businesses is now in the hands of the N.C. Senate, where it has the support of the powerful Democratic leader.

"My take would be that, yes, we would pass it," Marc Basnight, the Senate's president pro tem, said yesterday.

But the bill's fate is far from clear, because it faces new opposition from the state's restaurant owners, who are angry over an amendment to the bill that occurred in the N.C. House.

Until this week, the N.C. Restaurant and Lodging Association had stayed on the sidelines. The group agreed to remain neutral as long as the smoking ban applied evenly to all restaurants and bars. The original bill, sponsored by state Rep. Hugh Holliman, D-Davidson, would have done that.

But on Wednesday, some House members successfully passed an amendment that carved out an exception for establishments that are restricted to people 18 or older.

As a practical matter, the amendment would let age-restricted bars and nightclubs continue to allow smoking.

But restaurants would have to prohibit indoor smoking -- or, if they wanted to allow smoking, they would have to restrict their clientele to adults only.

"It no longer presents a level playing field," said Paul Stone, the president and CEO of the restaurant association.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
In light of the new cigarette taxes, which for all practical purposes are "sin taxes" on the poor and middle classes, this issue seems yet another punishment for those who smoke or even those who want to allow smoking in their establishments. With so many bar and restaurant choices for non-smokers, the self-appointed guardians of the public health still won't be happy until they can infringe on the rights of all private property owners and dictate who can even allow it. I would also mention the rights of smokers but I think it's a foregone conclusion in the U.S. that smokers no longer have any rights.

www.examiner.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Aside from the usual nonesense from the great state that brought us Jessie Helms.

Why is it that the majority of smokes feel like the world is thier ashtray? Just look at the butts that are littered everywhere :shk:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Aside from the usual nonesense from the great state that brought us Jessie Helms.

oh hell fire, i know you didnt just make a North Carolina joke

I like how the source says it would curtail and make sure that only adults were the ones smoking in restaurants. haha, i hope that any restaurant that allowed kids to smoke in it would be shut down ASAP.

If and when they decide people cant smoke in NC public venues i will be shocked. There are PLENTY of restaurants ALL over the state in which you cant smoke, i suggest the yuppies go there in their Izod shirts and talk about how great it is to breathe in clean air.

One day, everyone will realize government intervention is NOT GOOD. until that day i guess ill be labeled as a nut for trying to convey that message.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Why is it that the majority of smokes feel like the world is thier ashtray? Just look at the butts that are littered everywhere :shk:

Not to mention everything else like pop cans / health drinks,gum wrappers, and beer bottles etc .........

Come off it pick on something else, like you non smokers ......... things you do irritate us too, we just don't gripe as much as you.

everyone is so dang concerned about what the neighbor is doing !! .....

what happened to live and let live??

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

We don't think the world is our ashtray. In fact, most of us are curteous to the extreme for non-smokers.

We are, however, tired of being taxed to death and being treated like second class citizens. If a restaurant has a separate smoking section with separate ventilation that is sealed off from the non-smoking section, I don't see what the problem is.

[edit on 4/11/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Why is it that the majority of smokes feel like the world is thier ashtray?

I dunno, maybe because we're tired of anti-smokers thinking we are their toilet?

Just sayin'...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

It all goes back to individual rights. I can understand not wanting to be around smokers..i'm a smoker myself...and trying to quit, forcing myself before the baby is here..few months left!!

The fact that smokers are singled out for taxes though is absolutely ridiculous. The government is making money from addiction.

That in itself is absolutely wrong in many ways.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Of course it is, but sin taxes are fine, right?? People don't get up in arms about them and there is no public outcry.

But, this isn't about taxes. This is about pushing a certain group of people out of sight in society and making them hide in their own homes. It is not right and it is not fair.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

I agree 100 percent. The taxes are complete BS. Many people will quit...i know quite a few who are very angry about the taxes they are being hit with. Taxes is one thing...taxing an addiction to make it unaffordable is going to be too much for some people.

Will a black market come about for tobacco?

I hope the nonsmokers remember that after everyone quits buying smokes....the tax money wil have to be taken elsewhere.

Yep...it's all good until the MAJORITY gets taxed.

I've said it many times here...majority should be tolerant...but they aren't...and that is why this country is in the crapper.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by David9176]

[edit on 11-4-2009 by David9176]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by David9176

But, this isn't about taxes. This is about pushing a certain group of people out of sight in society and making them hide in their own homes. It is not right and it is not fair.

There are some places where people are not even allowed to smoke in their own apartments or condos for fear the smoke will seep through the walls and poison the neighbors, or at least annoy them with the smell.

There are also some communities where one cannot smoke in one's own home or yard. I really don't understand the yard part. Do they think the smoke is going to float down the block and kill somebody?

But at least a smoker can choose not to buy a house in those neighborhoods. What about condo owners? Or people who have lived in their apartments for years?

It won't be long before smokers will have no rights at all.

new topics

top topics

join