It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nagging question about UFO's that I've not heard an answer for

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
First post, so if I break some rules or rub some features please forgive me.

I've been a firm believer in Alien life for almost all my life since I saw close encounters as a child. However after many years of reading reports living day to day with project Blue Book and pouring over files on the net I have a few nagging questions that bother me about these "UFO" sightings.

First lets discuss the technology level that would need to exist to travel from somewhere to here. Heck lets even take the Moon as the "mother planet" It would take a huge technical advanced lifeforms to just get from there to here. (Please do not start the we visited the moon already) There are many problems with getting there and somehow we managed to cross the Van Allen radiation belt with tinfoil and masking tape, but this is for another thread.

Lets just say these advanced lifeforms exist they managed to cross the galaxy un-noticed with the Thousands of telescopes from individuals, universities, and Governments watching. Do you not think some rouge nation would one up us and spill the beans about these UFO's? Or spill the fact that we know about these and we are hidding them?

Ok so now they arrive here, enter our atmosphere un-noticed (putting off no flares entering the atmosphere which is EASILY detected form the heat) and they hover over some place like Arizona, or Virginia and than they decide since it's night time to turn on headlights bright as day in the darkness.

Doesn’t make any sense if they can get here with their technology there is no reason for these lights in the sky. I mean we have the technology to see in the dark and yet we can't fly planet to planet. Visiting lifeforms would have the ability to see in the dark for sure.

My second question is even more complex. You know we Humans have technology to read the writing off a pencil from outer space. So why would aliens even attempt to come here when they with fair superior technology could just place an object hidden in space and remotely monitor us? Why risk getting caught or seen?

Listen I think somewhere out there is intelligent life, but you know all these mysterious lights, vehicles in the sky are 99% all military, or commercial projects that are test flights, or national security covers.

UFO stories are a great coverup and anyone who really believes in them is labeled a whack a doo from the masses.

But if someone could please explain to me the two questions above it would be a big help. I've not ever read or heard this discussed.

Thanks for listening to me, and if you wan't I have a lot of interesting stories to share.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well an answer to most of your question, there is evidence that the ETs have been here for many thousands of years, if not longer.. it's not like they just first started coming to Earth at the exact same time we got technologically advanced with high powered telescopes etc.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Good points. Motivations are frequently unquestioned, implying that humans are so dang interesting critters come from all over the galaxy to gawk at us.

Have you also noticed that alien space craft seem to a worse safety record than Bangladesh National Airlines? Of course, the alien spaceships have far more flights in the air at any one time than the world's airlines combined.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm pretty convinced that we did go to the moon.

I don't think the light emitted from UFOs are the headlights so they can see where they're going. It's possibly a by-product of the propulsion or energy system used to power the craft.

Lots of government people have come forward about the UFO coverup. The reason the subject isn't dominating our news programs is because most of the world has been manipulated into sheep and all they care about is who's going to win American Idol, and what handbag they're going to buy next week. They don't give a damn about ET life.

I think these UFOs come so close because they actually have bases on our planet, and some of them have ongoing contact with organisations on Earth.

[edit on 10/4/09 by dmorgan]

[edit on 10/4/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorfdad

Dorf, well firstly, welcome.

It would seem that your questions have been asked many times already...and answered. Even though your title suggests just one nagging question....

The 'lights' that ET craft exhibit might be a by-product of the propulsion systems. Could be something else.

There is conflicting consesus about just how many different species may be involved....also, there is conjecture about possible time-traveling events that are construed as UFOs.

AND, within all of this broo-ha-ha.....the very real possiblity of actual Government dis-info that gets 'leaked' just to confuse the mix.....

I know, I know...I should NOT say this....but I cannot leave without a comment on one sentence in your OP....I get upset when the tremendous efforts and accomplishments of Apollo are undermined by a comment such as your throw-away line about 'tin foil and masking tape'.

THAT, unfortunately, was way out of line.

I would really like to see a serious discussion of the possiblilty of ET without attempts to side-swipe what was a valid 1960s era manned space exploration project. No masking tape....no tinfoil, thanks very much!

EDIT to go back to re-read your OP...certainly I can understand how you believe that a spacecraft entering our atmosphere MUST present a huge heat signature....because that is how WE do it. I will suggest, however, that if these ETs are technologically capable of traveling from another star using tech that we have not yet invented, then they have solved the atmospheric friction problem.

A mind that is open to ALL possiblities will prosper.....especially when the pre-conceived notions based on our experiences on Earth are thrown aside.

[edit on 4/10/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I have a theory that i just formulated in the last 30 seconds. in the empire strikes back you have an imperial probe floating around Hoth. I postulate that anything flying around here is unmanned, or remotely controlled. for aliens to visit earth, out of all the quadrillions of planets detectable from earth, well thats borderline crazy, or really lucky.

and who is to say that an aliens optical features are like ours? they may see smells, or even hear colors, you never know.

Biology on earth is highly likely to be a lot different than biology on Altair 4 or wherever

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dorfdad
First lets discuss the technology level that would need to exist to travel from somewhere to here.

Think of how much we've progressed in the last hundred years. The difference between 1909 and 2009 is pretty enormous. Now imagine this alien civilization "began" a thousand, ten thousand, or even a million years before humans. The impossible to us may be an everyday thing to them.

Lets just say these advanced lifeforms exist they managed to cross the galaxy un-noticed with the Thousands of telescopes from individuals, universities, and Governments watching.

Telescopes are not designed to spot small ship sized objects. The percent of the sky we're actively observing and aware of is much, much less than you think. Look at some of the recent reports about asteroids that made close passes to Earth that we didn't see until a couple days out. We don't have anything at the level of an earth based radar for space. It's a lot to cover.

Ok so now they arrive here, enter our atmosphere un-noticed (putting off no flares entering the atmosphere which is EASILY detected form the heat) and they hover over some place like Arizona, or Virginia and than they decide since it's night time to turn on headlights bright as day in the darkness.

Again, their technology may be able to easily overcome notice when entering our atmosphere. There are many possible reasons for the observation of lights on UFO's, pretty open to speculate.

My second question is even more complex. You know we Humans have technology to read the writing off a pencil from outer space. So why would aliens even attempt to come here when they with fair superior technology could just place an object hidden in space and remotely monitor us? Why risk getting caught or seen?

How do you know hidden objects in space aren't watching us now? What do they have to risk for being caught? Maybe part of their study (they might not all be studying us, but some of them are, we study every other form of life we find, why wouldn't they.) is to see how we react to their presence. A light in the night is the easiest way to be seen on this planet, maybe they aren't hiding.

Listen I think somewhere out there is intelligent life, but you know all these mysterious lights, vehicles in the sky are 99% all military, or commercial projects that are test flights, or national security covers.

That still leaves 1%...

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

Parabol, you deserve applause for saying what I said in a much, much better way!!

Well done!!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
For all we think we know...we might live in a glass globe 10 feet in diameter. Now just how big that 10 feet is in the other dimension is the question.

Also, some of the ships/beings appear to be translucent, or rather to change from a solid state to almost an invisible state. So, quite possibly space has no hold over them like it does us, as they are not subject to the same laws of human physics.

Just my one cent worth...were in a depression you know.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
Have you also noticed that alien space craft seem to a worse safety record than Bangladesh National Airlines? Of course, the alien spaceships have far more flights in the air at any one time than the world's airlines combined.

I think a lof of so called "crashes" were intended to be one way trips.
I can imagine we may have got a few "post cards" from some aliens. Like the probe we sent that is barely out of the solar system.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

Actually, Voyager One has exited the Solar System....well past the orbit of Pluto, by now.....

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I can't add much more than Weedwhacker and Parabol have already written. I'm surprised you only have a couple of nagging questions!

Here's one of mine....Since the 40s...let's say, people from all walks of life (Presidents included) have reported UFOs traveling faster and performing turns that would pull apart our aircraft and kill the pilots. I'm in agreement that many UFOs are military, but look at the progress in our technology. 60 years after the reports first started trickling in we still don't have aircraft that can do those things. So what are they?

Another is...why do some reportedly appear to move like bugs? They zig zag and dart instead of using the shortest point from A to B. From all our reference points, it doesn't seem intelligent or efficient behavior. At the same time they are sometimes described as metallic with lights. Therefore must be intelligent!
Maybe, like Weedwhacker says, lights and motion could be an outcome of the propulsion. Maybe the shortest point from A to B isn't quite how we understand it to be? Like protons/electrons being in two places at once. Maybe they are natural phenomena?

UFOs are all about questions with very few answers. I subscribe to conventional science and enjoy 'trying' to engage my brain with popular science like New Scientist etc. What irks me is when some scientists say it would require way too much energy to travel between stars. Based on what we know at the present that is true, but we should always be aware that our predecessors have disputed things we take for granted now.

UFOs have been reported and studied for decades. They are unexplainable based on current thinking (energy, mass, closest stars with planets etc). They shouldn't exist, but they do. They should be called Unidentified Flying Question Marks

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
hi,

i believe your 1st question is possibly answered by talking of worm holes.

your 2nd question OP is based on the assumption that they (et's) are purely studying us, so why not do it from distance, i agree.

but, for all we know, there is much more to it that just them watching us. if they have indeed been down into our atmosphere, (which i do believe), then there has to be another reason than that they are just watching us. a more physical reason.

they must need something from down here, whether its DNa from us, Minerals, etc, i dont know.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dorfdad

Maybe they were here before us - maybe they gave us life? Well, who knows.

As for being detected - they are so far ahead of us that we are like blind and deaf people.

They could probably clomp past us in high heels and we wouldn't notice.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dorfdad

Hello Dorfdad, welcome to ATS.

At the risk of repeating other member’s replies, I’ll add my tuppenceworth, if I may…

First lets discuss the technology level that would need to exist to travel from somewhere to here.

Can we assume that “their” technology even remotely resembles ours?

We read of human-like aliens, but just because they look similar to us does not necessarily mean that their technology has evolved in the same way as ours. Theirs could be a quantum-based system, perhaps able to access other dimensions that our scientists even now propose exist, and use these alternative routes to traverse the universe. Who’s to say that “their” technology is that far advanced, if at all, in that case? Being able to move between dimensions, and possibly shorten the journey to our world to less than a decimal point of its original distance may make up for their lack of real “sci-fi” hardware.

Lets just say these advanced lifeforms exist they managed to cross the galaxy un-noticed…Do you not think some rouge nation would one up us and spill the beans about these UFO's? Or spill the fact that we know about these and we are hidding them?

Ah, let’s not forget this is a conspiracy site.

Maybe there is some form of uneasy but compulsory world-wide agreement, between relevant, secret governmental offices, that has decided that this knowledge of extraterrestrial life is far from complete. To declare it to the world without first having acquired this essential knowledge of just who, or what, is visiting us would spark the legendary rioting and panic we are assured would happen. What country in its right mind would openly announce that ET is here, if they had no idea who ET was, or what their populace would do afterwards?

All supposition, but maybe a plausible explanation nevertheless…

Ok so now they arrive here, enter our atmosphere un-noticed…than they decide since it's night time to turn on headlights bright as day in the darkness.

Once again, we do not know for a certainty how these visitors think, what their agenda is, and their ultimate purpose for being here.

Perhaps they’re playing a psy-ops game with us and our government to see how we react. Perhaps they just don’t care if we see them. Perhaps all the “channeled” communications and contacts that involve spoken communication are false, and ET can’t speak a word of our languages, indeed, maybe they cannot speak at all.

And as you rightly say:

Doesn’t make any sense if they can get here with their technology there is no reason for these lights in the sky.

So why such blatant displays? Another alternative is that some UFOs are of our own manufacture. But once again we have to question why super secret aircraft light up like a Christmas tree over urban areas. Maybe they still have to follow civil aviation rules just like the rest of us, even if the craft they fly are akin to something from a Bond movie?

Curiosity. Plain and simple.

Even if our visitors have not followed the same evolutionary/design format as we have, it is reasonable to assume that their animal/insect/reptilian sense of inquisitiveness still remains. Why would any society breed out a need to expand on its technology, or desire to see the pasture that’s just over the horizon, or another place to spin its web?

It is also reasonable to assume that their initial forays here would have been by autonomous probes. Indeed, they may well still be exploring us with avatars. But when that stage is complete, and you were a scientist, wouldn’t you want to see this new planet, and its incredible diversity of flaura and fauna for your self?

Thanks for listening to me, and if you wan't I have a lot of interesting stories to share.

Thanks for delivering a great first post. You’ll fit in here nicely.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

I think a lof of so called "crashes" were intended to be one way trips.
I can imagine we may have got a few "post cards" from some aliens. Like the probe we sent that is barely out of the solar system.

Why do you think the crashes were "intended to be one way trips"? Aliens build a craft that can traverse interstellar space and it CRASHES into the Earth. "Einstein" builds the vehicle and passes of the landing procedure to "Gomer Pyle"?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Why do you think the crashes were "intended to be one way trips"? Aliens build a craft that can traverse interstellar space and it CRASHES into the Earth. "Einstein" builds the vehicle and passes of the landing procedure to "Gomer Pyle"?

I realise this wasn’t aimed at me, but I’d like to reply anyway with an alternative explanation.

Perhaps the crashes were gifts. Ruined ones, obviously, but fascinating, paradigm changing, enabling and revealing gifts, nevertheless.

It’s reasonable to speculate that we are nothing but smart simians to those who are visiting us. But, when all’s said and done, smart we are, and recognizably so.

Consider the possibility that “they” were given a hand-up in their technological advancement, and that this route of intercessionary action has become part of their cultural “prime directive”, which in itself could be an edict that has no “non intervention clause” as long as the target species has attained, on its own, a necessary level of achievement.

Of course, the question has to be asked; what were we supposed to do with these gifts?

Use the technology gleaned from them benevolently would make sense.

Have it commandeered by the military may not have been what they intended.

If this scenario is correct, then maybe we made the wrong choice.

Just speculating…

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

"Perhaps the crashes were gifts. Ruined ones, obviously, but fascinating, paradigm changing, enabling and revealing gifts, nevertheless."

It's a major fail then. The "crashes" haven't contributed anything. Most important reason for that is they never happened.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

The crashes could have occured because they came from a diferent in atmosphere than ours , and in our polluted skies , it may adversly affect the craft

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

It's a major fail then. The "crashes" haven't contributed anything. Most important reason for that is they never happened.

Check out the sidebar on the boards page, the one that asks us to vote on what we think of UFOs etc. As of the time of posting, 76.23% of voters have expressed a belief that UFOs seen in our skies are a mix of government tech and alien visitation.

This is obviously a meme created by the scant, and often unreliable, information we have at our disposal.

The crashes may not have contributed to our society in the way the aliens intended; indeed, it may be that we are be far too warlike and secretive for any seeded technology to be gathered and utilized by the civilian sector. If this is the case, then what “their” intentions are, are difficult to envisage.

Another aside; perhaps they are a purely military-orientated society. They enjoy combat, in all of its forms, as did our own Roman Empire. What if these “crashes” are just and example of a new, and far more exotic weapon having been thrown into the arena for us gladiators to utilize?

And don’t forget, my scenario is hypothetical.

As we are not in possession of the truth, then who’s to say what is the truth?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join