It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Links to survival information - Covering Almost All Aspects of Survivial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have researched and filed away many many survival websites that cover almost all aspects of knowledge. Silo13 has a great thread about Kyoto cooking here

When another poster mentioned he/she would like links in one place.... so, that of course got me thinking, since I have a ton of links, I should put them up for others to look at and learn from, if they wanted to. I didn't see any other thread that was on a whole aspect of surviving covering almost every type situation... so here we go.

**This one, I have wanted to do, and have asked a shop person if they could make one for me. Right here is a very important link....in my opinion. Below the site details and gives the plans for building your own wood gas generator. What is also interesting, is during WW2, this is what most people used in Europe to fuel their vehicles. A vehicle can run off this. It is great info to know and have in case gas is ever hard to come by. Plus if you have a generator for your home and can't get gas, you can run it off this wood gas generator. the gas is from wood fumes.
www.windward.org... ***

This blueprint is actually from the Oak Ridge DOE lab site, where you can download the blueprints for a wood gas generator, which is what I have done. www.global-greenhouse-warming.com...

Another gas generator site: www.shtfmilitia.com...

Making steam power: www.mikebrownsolutions.com...

How to make your own bio fuels: www.builditsolar.com...

Fema - water storage:
www.nationalterroralert.com...

Now I want to mention, there is a water filter, which I have purchased, it is the only kind like it. The Berkey Water Filter is a filter you can take gross green water full of bacteria and it will filter everything out. In other words any kind of water will be filtered out and be completely clean and drinkable with no chemicals, bacteria or viruses. It is a gravity based filter, no electricity is needed. I use mine, and it filters all those bad chemicals in that are put in the water. You can get the "flouride" filters too... will take the flouride out. I will warn you right now, they are not cheap. But as I look at it, spend the money now, or possibly regret later. This filter works in any situation.

From Mississippi State College, preparing food with no electricity:
srdc.msstate.edu...

Here is a site with many different option plans on building a solar cooker, out of boxes and tin foil, solarcooking.org...

Building your own solar water pump:
www.backwoodshome.com...

This next site, is about surviving a disaster and you will find a ton of different information sites on every type disaster. All around good info.
www.lacetoleather.com...

All about dehydrating foods:
www.associatedcontent.com...

And perserving your dehydrated foods:
hubpages.com...

An online backcountry cooking book and preparedness for the wilderness:
backcountry cooking
This is very interesting, this is a site that shows you how to clean your used motor oil to be able to use it again, great info. Also at this site, it explains how to get the old and dead engine batteries alive once more -
www.endtimesreport.com...

How to build and use a solar still:
www.motherearthnews.com...

How to make a solar power generator:
www.rain.org...

Solar heat grabber:
www.motherearthnews.com...

Here is a site about Edible plants:
www.wikihow.com...

I have actually purchased two books on every kind of edible plant we have. There are many available, I like the ones with pictures!
So I can identify them.

More edible plant info www.associatedcontent.com...

another edible plant site, what is interesting here, is all about catails plants, they are very versatile in what you can make with them.
www.wildmanstevebrill.com...

For those, who are possibly storing food, here is info on waxing cheese - when you do that, it will last for a very long time and it will just age. I can verify this works, I won't even tell you how many pounds of cheese I have stored and waxed. www.clc.uc.edu...
You can buy wax online, There are some inexpensive sites, I purchased 10 pounds at one site for the same price others wanted 2 pounds of it.

I have a ton of information on individual things too, which I have looked at to do. This includes all the things that could be aquired by having a milking goat, besides milk. I have learned about how to make cheese, sour cream, yogurt from it, mind you - I don't have a goat at this time, but good info to know.

I won't put those links in here, but if someone wants them, I will be happy to provide them.

I have searched sites for making soap, but have only come across ones where you have to buy the products compared to using items that may be close to where I live and natural.

Here is a bit of alternative info, if you are so inclined:

BLOCK: In 1982, the FDA approved IOSAT potassium iodide tablets for blocking the thyroid's absorption of cancer-causing radioactive iodine (only the thyroid absorbs iodine). Saturate the thyroid with potassium iodide's stable iodine so it won't absorb radioactive iodine, the predominate radioisotope released from a nuclear reactor release or nuclear bomb fallout.

You can find these on ebay or other stores online, just do a "nuke pill or radiation pill" search. *Ebay sellers are the least expensive - I found*

Okay, that is a start, though there are other considerations, the above are for emergency preparedness. there are many many sites about preparing for anything and the sites listed will take you to even more places and more information, needless to say you can spend hours and days learning from the links of the site provided.

If anyone has more links and sites they would like to share please do, I can see if a mod would put them in the main OP here, with your credit of them.

I think these are good sites and information for everyone to look into for the "just in case" scenerios.

This doesn't cover all those other alternative conversations of alternative type disasters and preparing for those, this covers the basics and what everyone should at least do some of.

Okay, some may think I am extreme for getting all of this info together for myself, but ask anyone who has been through a hurricane, of which there are many of us. I happened to go through one while living in the islands and I did not have electricity for almost a year. So I know, we all do need to prepare and have on hand many things for the unexpected.

Tentickles has these links on her podcast link below:

Survival Forums www.survivalistboards.com...
Simple Survival simplesurvival.us...
Zombie Hunters zombiehunters.org...
Survival Essentails Checklist www.survivaltopics.com...
Abjutant Briefing adjutant.com...
RSOE EDIS hisz.rsoe.hu...
Gamma Watch www.gammawatch.com...
KI4U Radiation Pills www.ki4u.com...

BetweenMyths links:

Survivalist Site www.survivalistssite.com...
Survival related websites www.geocities.com...
Wikipedia - Survivalism en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 11-4-2009 by questioningall]

[edit on 11-4-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Great thread QA! Always enjoy your threads. S & F for you!
Mind If I throw a link to my Survival Garden Podcast up here? Got some good sites listed in the text. Check them out people.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Awesome!! Thank you for that link!

Imagine all the info we can compile here if people provide links for survival info they have.

We could have a one stop information place - when people want to know how to do something.

I really hope others will also provide links, there is so much info out there and more things I would like to learn about myself.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Survival links
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BetweenMyths

Thank you, I assume these are the links you are posting about?
Great info.

Survivalist Site
www.survivalistssite.com...

Survival related websites
www.geocities.com...

Wikipedia - Survivalism
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Excellent thread! Thank you for posting this!

S+F

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Fascinating stuff but I find that a lot of these survival guides seeks to help maintain a high standard of living in a post apocalyptic scenario.

The only item from your list I would most likely purchase would be the Berkley water filters. I might get a spare with extra cartridges as back up.

I think the only sure fire way to survive is to train your mind. So far I have taken a mechanic's course, electrical training, basic medics course, trained in foraging and six years of Tae Kwon Do. Basically preparation through self improvement and the hardening of the body.

So when the SHTF, all you will need is a pair of sturdy boots and a good knife.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
Fascinating stuff but I find that a lot of these survival guides seeks to help maintain a high standard of living in a post apocalyptic scenario.

And whats wrong with that. Just surviving isn't good enough we also need to prosper. Given a choice of sleeping on the cold ground or sleeping in a warm bed the bed is going to win every time. that prospering. Man kind has created tools its a waste not to use them. using them is prospering.

The only item from your list I would most likely purchase would be the Berkley water filters. I might get a spare with extra cartridges as back up.

A worthy investment and yet another way of prospering.

I think the only sure fire way to survive is to train your mind. So far I have taken a mechanic's course, electrical training, basic medics course, trained in foraging and six years of Tae Kwon Do. Basically preparation through self improvement and the hardening of the body.

Mechanics course to fix the tools man kind has made so you can prosper. Electrical training for the same reason. You my friend are training your self to prosper not just survive.

So when the SHTF, all you will need is a pair of sturdy boots and a good knife.

I agree but with a steady pair of boots and a good knife you get threw today, what of tomorrow. those two tools will not keep you alive just by themselves. They will help you to build the other tools you need to not just survive but prosper.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by angryamerican]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
here is another I like pretty well
Millennium Long term water storage

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I would also like to mention a website I built which I am shaping up to be a one-stop-shopping site with everything from seeds to gear for urban survival it's called SurvivalTime.org.

One the best things I've got in there is a link to a device called a 'steri pen' which uses utraviolet light to kill all bacteria and viruses in drinking water (and it fits in your pocket!).

I've got Mountain House "years supply" of canned foods, water, water storage, purificatiton, first aid, natural medicine recipes, shelter construction.

It's a work in progress, sort of a 'stone soup' of survival sites, so if you have links you would like to suggest, by all means let me know!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Great post!

I'm quite involved in this myself though one can never know too much in this area especially when we are to witness what is to come.

It's good to see people out there that care for others.

That's Change We Can Believe In!.

I hope the 'people' go organic from here forward rather than poison themselves with the toxic foods the corporations are getting rich on. Grow most of your own food, source your own water, build your own house. Return to the ideals of Sovereignty. Free yourselves and return to Natural foods, the food of the Divine.

Added to friends list.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Here are a few extra's in my war supply stash.

I stockpiled a couple cases of hard liquor, for bartering, extra ammo, dollar store case of Deodorant , too much to list.

One other item people overlook is both apple cider and plain white vinegar.

You should google "101 uses for vinegar" I'm not in to the home remedy thing but stocked up on herbal antibiotcs and other remedies. Some they are recently being called illegal by the drug companies.

They dont want us prepared so we can be dependent on this New Government.

I's also nice to have these thing in the event of a natural disaster, manmade disaster, etc.

Soon food will be worth more than gold. I agree to research long term food storage tips.

I do have a question I hope someone can answer. How to avoid night and heat seeking devices. If I had to bug out all the caves would be taken.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Hey, I didn't even get into a list of what should be stocked, that is a whole different ball game.

Besides the vinegar salt and sugar and another wide variety of items should be stocked up on.

other things people don't consider, besides food items, are shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste etc.

Put it this way, everyone should look around their house and be aware of what they use everyday, with that awareness, they then should realize a quantity of it, should be purchased.

As you said, consideration of items, you may not want to use, but can be bargaining tools are very good items to have too.

Otherwise, this list is basically for everyone due to various disasters that do occur throughout the world. Having the knowledge of survival skills is something we should all be aware of and learn about.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

The science of infrared homing devices.

Infrared countermeasures

Radar scattering nets and tin foil might be a good idea though all of this may be a little overkill.

You're in the mountains, as I will be.

Just have multiple levels of security if you want to feel secure:
Dogs, motion detecting cameras hooked to a DVR device of which is programmed to clear the data storage device every week, sensor lights, electric fence around property, security guard, thick and bolted currogated steel gate and lots of weapons and ammunition.

Grow your own food and jar the surplus, source your own water, raise your own animals and build your own house if necessary.

This is what I have done for good reason.

Worldwide chaos is just around the corner.

Good luck..... or does luck meet preparation?

[edit on 11-4-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think we will survive especially if we start gaining support from the police and military and in fact more of us keep joining up and want to restore our republic, patriots will get killed and they will retaliate, but nobody wants it, we really want peace, but they will try to use false flag terror and point to crazies and try to smear and create phony association, but the police and military will see through it, I think in the end they will side against a New World Order, I'm encouraged and convinced they do care about the constitution and our freedom, since it also belongs to them as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

One of the most useful posts on ATS.

I hope you get a zillion stars.

Thank you for the information.

My favorite was waxing cheese as cheese and chocolate are my two most favorite foods.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
How come you cant buy a berkley filtration system in Iowa? it says on the website 'not available in Iowa'??

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

Now that is strange, I would have no idea why they can't sell it in Iowa, you should contact them to ask.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
What an excellant post.!!!!!!!!!!!
It is EXACTLY what I have been looking for.
All these links in one place............completely idiot proof for someone such as myself with little to no computer abilities.
Firstly I am going to build and compare a few solar cooking devices..
I am also very interested in harnessing wind power so will try my hand at that once iv'e got solar cooking under wraps.
Have you ever tried any of the cooking devices???If so, any recomendations??
Thanks
Bugs

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by Skinon

Now that is strange, I would have no idea why they can't sell it in Iowa, you should contact them to ask.

One need nearly see the 641 Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 14 on the Iowa Department of Public Health Website at IDPH - Water Treatment System Registration to understand why. (Basically, the Iowa Administrative Code 641 Ch14 makes certifying a Water Filter as difficult and costly as getting a Drug approved by the FDA to where it isn't in most manufacturer's interests to bother considering it would cost more to gain certification than they would make in Sales Revenue to that State.)

The Berkey Filters that contain more than 2 Filters are also unavailable for purchase in California for similar regulative reasons.

<<   2 >>

join