It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lazy Belief Systems!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Have you ever noticed how hard it is sometimes to convince people of something that feels real and right to you yet the individual you are trying to convince just doesn't want to know or remains in a state of denial?
I have, many times and I have a theory behind it see what you think.
I have found that the mind is paramount when it comes to demanding comfort and peace of mind. If something bothers the mind even ever so slightly it causes general discomfort to the individual concerned. For this reason and others the mind has a habit of protecting itself from virtually 'anything' that causes it discomfort including but not limited to beliefs.
In fact a good analogy to compare to the mind (itself being is system of sorts) is a political system which is built up and protected from anything that might cause it instability even at times change itself. The system effectively becomes rigid and resistant to any input the same is true of the mind which is stubborn and fixed in its ways at times.
Now the reason I said lazy in the title is because most individuals will resist a new belief simply because it threatens their belief system which would cause the individual to effectively re-configure their mind. It is this discomfort that leads to resistance and in some cases one way arguements. Beware also people who resist in this way are often egotistical and will belittle you or you argument in order to back up their own beliefs and not have anything 'threaten their mental structure' consequently it becomes very difficult for the individual to 'think outside of the box' a type of lazyness in itself.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I've also noticed many people don't want to think of solutions for their problems anymore. They just take pharmaceuticals instead. They don't want to spend time and effort and suffer to understand their unhappiness, just a quick fix so they can experience and enjoy life, their God given right.

Some believe in the future everyone will have implants for identification and payments but I bet there will be pharmaceuticals in them too that release chemicals once someone gets below a certain threshold of happiness. I'm sure in the future everyone will be a happy drone.

(edit to add) I was thinking some more, when we will all have these mini PDA's to use to look up anything on the internet, instant knowledge. We will not think of anything, just a few people think and everybody accepts that. Whatever you want to know you can just accept the truth from your PDA. It will also monitor the brain's dopamine levels and inject some Prozac (or whatever it will develop to be in the future) whenever it gets too low. All of this, not having to remember things (which will turn most people in an unconscious kind of state) and always being happy will seriously dumb everyone down. You can look around you and it's already happening and perfectly accepted, it's what the people want.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

This is social manipulation; the movie "Kymatica" puts the finger
on these issues... the creation of a "false ego" by the PTB;

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Substitute 'cowardice' for 'laziness' and your bang on imo.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Belief systems are like our lovely lady below, is she spinning clockwise or counterclockwise? Perspective is everything.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well, I have to say I agree 100%. Like I stated in chat, I'm adding this link here to bump your thread.

Making High-Quality Threads : Ask and I'll Point You In The Right Direction

Excellent thread. Keep up the good work.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Well stated pharaohmoan;

Those ideas even fit my wife,
sad but true in many ways. I do find it to be a fact more times then not, when trying to convince people of the truth even if you know all of the facts, & you know that their pretenses are false.
The first time that I saw a 911 video I did not want to believe. As a mater of fact I fought it the whole way until I was holding on to that last thread of hope that what I thought I knew was true finally unraveled. No one could tell me that 911 was an inside job or that UFOs are real, I would blindly tell them that they were nothing but nut jobs. I had to find out on my own.

My best advice to all of you on ATS is not to place yourself in position of ridicule but to point to a credible source. Do not give out to much information just bate the hook. They will usually come back scratching their head with some questions and much doubt. At this point give out a few comments but refrain from telling them the hard hitting facts that you would like to tell them. Instead point them to another source that would back up the first source that you directed them to. Then repeat one more time. At this point you should have broken down their thresh hold of denial to some degree. Now you can plant a seed here & there with out being shot down with ridicule & conspiracy jokes.

Some people you may never be able to reach, maybe it is the sign they were born under.
& always keep in mind that lesser light, or knowledge, or understanding will always persecute greater light, knowledge, or understanding.
It has been that way all through history, Just look at the christen church!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Tick
Well stated pharaohmoan;

Those ideas even fit my wife,
sad but true in many ways. I do find it to be a fact more times then not, when trying to convince people of the truth even if you know all of the facts, & you know that their pretenses are false.
The first time that I saw a 911 video I did not want to believe. As a mater of fact I fought it the whole way until I was holding on to that last thread of hope that what I thought I knew was true finally unraveled. No one could tell me that 911 was an inside job or that UFOs are real, I would blindly tell them that they were nothing but nut jobs. I had to find out on my own.

My best advice to all of you on ATS is not to place yourself in position of ridicule but to point to a credible source. Do not give out to much information just bate the hook. They will usually come back scratching their head with some questions and much doubt. At this point give out a few comments but refrain from telling them the hard hitting facts that you would like to tell them. Instead point them to another source that would back up the first source that you directed them to. Then repeat one more time. At this point you should have broken down their thresh hold of denial to some degree. Now you can plant a seed here & there with out being shot down with ridicule & conspiracy jokes.

Some people you may never be able to reach, maybe it is the sign they were born under.
& always keep in mind that lesser light, or knowledge, or understanding will always persecute greater light, knowledge, or understanding.
It has been that way all through history, Just look at the christen church!

The obvious reason most people don't want to listen to you is that they believe they already have a seed which also has grown and they are probably happy how it turned out after taking care for it all these years.

Then someone like you comes around, tells them their plant is all wrong (meaning you find them ugly) and that they should get rid of the seed altogether. That's like replacing the core of your psyche, which people need in order to be autonomous beings, to them there's no way of knowing the seed they get in return will turn out to be a nice plant.

So it's only logical that they fight to the better end while you are fighting to put your seed in them. Let's face it, trying to impose one's truth on another's is ignorant, belittling, dictatorial and undemocratic, you'll become someone no different than those who tried to impose their truths on you sometime in your life.

Maybe you should wear kevlar armor to avoid getting hurt after being shot down with ridicule and think more in SWAT tactics. Just don't try to replace any seeds, not even show yours just go in, check the building and if you can't shoot any intruders down you will have to admit you're just not cut out for doing what you do (or get different ammo).

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It is a box of sand that we put our heads into. My box was called the "insert favorite holy book, religious genre or political affiliation here".

I have pulled my head out my box. I would really like to get rid of my box because every so often I feel like I need to stick my head in again.

In my opinion the faithful are taught to reason but only within the confines of their revelation. Until they learn to transcend this confine, true reasoning will always stay at arms reach. These are the ones dreaming that they are awake.

The awake are able to reason past those confines. They see they are still partially dreaming and waking more is required. True reasoning begins.

For me understanding what faith (box of sand) really asked of me helped open my eyes and become more open. I think if others would understand Faith they would either pull their head out of the box of sand or, out of fear stick it in even farther..

just my 2 cents.....

new topics

top topics

join