It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we talking about the same God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The Bible is a very fantastic book. Recording history that has been passed on from generation to generation. Not only does the Bible record the history of man kind but also has many mysterys. From mysterys to prophecies, to codes, and so on.

Many people believe the Bible to be true and nothing but the truth. There are many people who believe the Bible but believe it has been taking out of context. Others believe the Bible to be false, a creation of man to control others. However most people believe that the Bible talks about one true God, or does it?

When looking at both sides of the Bible, the Old Testament and New Testament, I see two different Gods. In the Old Testament you have a God who destroys nations, kills his enemies, takes the enemies land, and seems to be two sided. He gives commandments not to kill, steal, etc, but yet Moses and his people go out and kill thousands of people. Steal their land and destroy their enemies while marching to the promise land in the name of God. Reminds me of how Columbus came to America, took their land, and tried to Christianize them.

On the other hand we have the New Testament in which Jesus contradicts the Old Testament ways. Most of his teachings on based on love and loving your kind. He teaches not to take from others but to give, not to kill but to forgive, and to turn the other cheek. Jesus is said to be the Son of God and God never changes. If God does not change then how come the change of heart? How come Jesus is doing the opposite of his Father?

Want more proof? Read the Bible.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yahweh Elohim, God the Father, the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, implemented a covenant with Israel that included a system of law which demanded payment for sins (i.e., transgressions, or crimes if you will). These are explained in great detail in the book of the priests, Leviticus and the others of the Pentateuch.

Most noticeable are the many "offerings" (a.k.a. "sacrifices") demanded. There are thanks offerings, sin offerings, burnt offerings, fellowship offerings, and many more. In other words, there is a system of "fines" imposed for violations of the law.

Jesus Christ "fulfills" this law. Because he is the Godhead ("I and my father are one." etc.), there can be no superior offering and, since Jesus sacrificed himself as the ultimate victim* and for the express benefit of mankind, no additional offerings are required. Therefore, relieved of the penalty of the law, man is free to commit itself to the benefit of the law: the unconditional
love of God.

Sincerely, and with Good Friday blessings in the hope of the Resurrection,

Joe of the Mountain

(*A victim is the object of an offering, as in a sheep, a calf, whatever).

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
To put it plain and simple, everyone changes once they have a kid
You look at the world differently when you have a child and many change their ways and their outlook in life.

Even the ever sinning Madonna, the celebrity of course, changed her tune when she had kids.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bputman
If God does not change then how come the change of heart?

In the Old Testament, God floods the earth. Afterwards, He states He promises not to do this again. This is just one of many changes.

How come Jesus is doing the opposite of his Father?

Where do you see this?

Want more proof? Read the Bible.

I agree reading the Bible is a great way to connect understanding of how all this works. Beyond all this though, we can go to God ourselves and ask.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The contradictions are easy to explain. First, oral traditions passed down from one illiterate to another. Then, finally, some get written down. Then they get changed. First by people who want to improve them. Then by people who want them to carry a "message" to the current generation, to be "relevant". Then the PC boys get into it, but in this case PC means what's good for the Church.

And so, several thousand years later you have a word soup of, ahem, biblical proportions.

And it's all BS anyway, so what does it matter?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
hello hello
Well my thought on this is as such:::
I believe that the old testament was misunderstood and Jesus came to explain the correct way to interpret it..
I think that a lot of the(go and kill people was to the Jews to up lift them and let them know that they were wronged and they are not a weak people..
you have to remember too that it is written to the Jews about the Jews...(favoritism)???
I am christian and I don't really read a lot of the old testament but in a majority of it it tells you to live honestly, and be kind, and have INTEGRITY!!!

Just my opinion
THANKS

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Yes, surprisingly not only is the old and new testiment God the same god.

The one God of every religion I have ever heard of which has one God is the same God.

I have many times heard Muslims, Christians and Jews deny this simple fact, but if you look at the history of these religions, the truth is inescapable. They are all of a single historical heritage, and their claim to authority is the same matriarchial heritage in the house of David.

As far as I can see there is only 1, One True God. And many of the believers in this God wish to wipe each other off the face of the planet for believing in a false God.

The various interpretations of the nature of that God, usually regarding his preferences is what sets them apart.

The One True God, it seems always favors the local culture, whether it involves subjugation of a particular sub group, the right to maime those who offend the most rightious, or violence towards women.

Yea verily I tell you, there is no force in the universe as powerful as ignorance.

I have to say the description of The One True God's personal preferences and values I often hear suggest he is a hateful, selfish, destructive, vain, meglomaniacal creep.

I think the most important question in religion is, someday when you are interviewed by a higher power, and asked if you submit yourself to it's power and authority, what criteria will you use to judge that it is truly your One True God.

What values, virtues, qualities does the One True God have which will convince you of it's authenticity, and worthyness.

Will you simply kneel before the first magnificent bastard that comes along?

If the One and only God is a total freakshow, would you walk away in respect to the higher authority of the virtues you hold dear?

In the end this may be the one and only question which you are asked.

Do you truly have any virtue of your own?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

"The one God of every religion I have ever heard of which has one God is the same God.

I have many times heard Muslims, Christians and Jews deny this simple fact, but if you look at the history of these religions, the truth is inescapable. They are all of a single historical heritage, and their claim to authority is the same matriarchial heritage in the house of David."

So, "every religion I have ever heard of" is based on the Abrahamic tradition? Gee, does that include Buddhism? Pele, volcano god of Hawaii, she's a Jewish hand-me-down?

Or have I got it wrong and you have lived in the BuyBull Belt for your entire life and you really haven't heard of any other religions?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Yup. Those religions do not believe in "One God"

They may have a preferred god, but to my knowledge there is only one liniage of monotheisitc religion on this planet.

Please name one non Davidic religion which believes in one God. If you know of an exception, I would thank you for the correction.

Did I purturb your orbit with my post? You seem hostile.

It was intended to challenge the user, many people do not appreciate being challenged in their beliefs. They consider it "BLASPHEMY" accompanied with a straight armed finger point and bulging eyes.

Even Athiests, are sometimes as hardened in their beliefs as the most ardant bible thumper.

Why did you find it necessary or even possible to excerpt only one third of my sentence for a quote?
It is traditional to quote an entire sentence, anything less smacks of propaganda, disinformation, manipulation and distortion.
Do it and expect to be called on it.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Cyberbian]

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Never try to read a tone of voice into print. It's way too easy to get it wrong. I'm a challenger of "faith" in all forms and a questioner of cherished beliefs. I seldom indulge is "hostility", it's a waste of time.

"It was intended to challenge the user, many people do not appreciate being challenged in their beliefs. They consider it blasphemous."

There should be more of that. People tend to hunker down in their comfort zones and ignore reality. A guy I knew complained that the news channels were a waste of bandwidth that could be better used to carry more spots. This was spoken from the depths of his couch, the one with the lining of empty beer cans.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
In response to the original post:

Yes, the Old Testament God seems quite a jealous, petty psycho in my mind.
- He orders the deaths (en masse) of not only non-combatant men, women and children, but animals too!
- He requires constant placation, glorification and assurances that He is the greatest.
- He puts his most faithful servants (eg: Job) through the most horrific suffering just to satisfy a small-minded wager with his arch-nemesis.

What a guy.

The mindbuggering differences between that guy and the "peace, love and mung-beans" God of the New Testament only reinforces in my mind that this deity only exists insofar as he is "interpreted" by human beings.

new topics

top topics

join