It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy 101

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by jkrog08

I could be going off on a tangent, but jkrog08 do you find it kinda "coincidental" that our moon rotates on its axis at the same pace as our planet so that only 1 side is visible?

Its not a coincidence, it has to do with the distance an object is from a gravitational body as well as its rate at which the moon is rotating.

Oh and to the OP great thread.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Louther

Thanx,I wish every member could see this thread and learn if they need to.I am trying to give credence to this epic site.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

If only I KNEW how to linky this site!!!

I've seen it, I know it is possible....I just don't know how....

Recently learned how to do YTube videos....this is my breakout time....not that computer savvy, need step-by-step instruction.....

PS....now I also know how to do the Google videos....so, I am not competely ignorant, just slow.....

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Simply do this.......This symbol....[ then url and an = symbol followed by thread address then this symbol...........] then the thread name................then this......[/url]

Also I am about to send you an u2u,so be ready,lol.

[edit on 4/12/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

not yet....re: U2U........

Oh dear, need more characters....OK....this Astronmy thread is great, I am very much in love with it because, if only people will actually read it, then they will be begin to understand....

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Great posting and lots of great info. However, you say

The only ones detected have been over 1000 ly away. It has been postulated that a GRB caused the Permian Extinction (K-T Boundary layer) in which 99 % of life was killed off some hundreds of millions of years ago

While the Permian–Triassic (P–Tr) extinction event occurred 251.4 million years ago the K-T Boundary layer is only 65 million years old and is not related to the same event.

Sources:
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Can you give some sources please or is this a mistake.

Best regards

[edit on 13-4-2009 by ukdweller]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ukdweller

It was a mistake,sorry......you are right.Here is some info on the Permian Extinction.

The Permian mass extinction occurred about 248 million years ago and was the greatest mass extinction ever recorded in earth history; even larger than the previously discussed Ordovician and Devonian crises and the better known End Cretaceous extinction that felled the dinosaurs. Ninety to ninety-five percent of marine species were eliminated as a result of this Permian event. The primary marine and terrestrial victims included the fusulinid foraminifera, trilobites,rugose and tabulate corals, blastoids, acanthodians, placoderms, and pelycosaurs, which did not survive beyond the Permian boundary. Other groups that were substantially reduced included the bryozoans, brachiopods, ammonoids, sharks, bony fish, crinoids, eurypterids, ostracodes, and echinoderms.

park.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Interesting thread

You'll enjoy this website. It puts the size of objects in our universe into perspective. Our own sun is truly tiny comapred to some of the giant stars in our universe. In comparison our planet Earth is an insignificant speck of dust.

digg.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Very nice addition.

I think it would be good to also add a brief section on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram and temperature vs. luminosity properties of stars.

The EM spectrum is also a great chart for reference.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

Yea,I decided not to add the H-R diagram because I didnt want this to get all advanced and confusing.As I didn't go into Blackbody radiation,and exo-solar planets.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
don't you see that you are stuck in a paradigm with all those imperfect theories that fail to explain so many things... (didn't search for example but there are hundreds)?

some time ago, many scientists had many theories to explain why the earth was flat

best understanding that the object of study is a mere perspective on some imperfect and altered human perceptions, best knowing that we know nothing, that what we think we perceive is not necessarily what is...

best realising that we are blind to the Reality of the universe

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
here is one from another thread

img19.imageshack.us...

it is so large it technically shouldn't exist according to our current physics theories

(from another ats thread)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join