It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A fight to the death in Westminster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

A fight to the death in Westminster

www.independent.co.uk

At the age of 21, Sivatharsan Sivakumaravel is preparing to die. Lying under layers of damp duvets and surrounded by passionate and at times tearful supporters, Mr Sivakumaravel is one of two young Tamil men who have vowed to starve themselves to death outside the Houses of Parliament unless Britain forces the Sri Lankan government to call an immediate ceasefire in its war with Tamil Tiger rebels.

They have signed statements saying they will refuse any medical assistance until their demands are met
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.independent.co.uk
en.wikipedia.org

[mod edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 10-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Just wanted to bring this to peoples attention, the media is not reporting this accuratly as they are not with other genocides such as darfur and tibet. for those who didnt know

The Sri Lankan Civil War is the name given to the ongoing conflict on the island-nation of Sri Lanka. Since July 23, 1983, there has been on-and-off civil war, predominantly between the government and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE, also known as the Tamil Tigers), a separatist armed organization which fights for the creation of an independent state named Tamil Eelam in the north and the east of the island.

Over 70,000 people have been officially listed as killed in the war since 1983.[17] As one of the world's deadliest ongoing armed conflicts, it has caused significant adversity to the population, environment and the economy of the country. The tactics employed by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, have resulted in the organization being banned as a terrorist organization in 32 countries including the United States, Japan, Brazil, Australia, the nations of the European Union, and Canada.

After two decades of fighting and three failed attempts at peace talks, including the unsuccessful deployment of the Indian Army as a peacekeeping force from 1987 to 1990, a lasting negotiated settlement to the conflict appeared possible when a cease-fire was declared in December 2001, and a ceasefire agreement signed with international mediation in 2002.[18] However limited hostilities renewed in late 2005 and the conflict began to escalate until the government launched a number of major military offensives against the LTTE beginning in July 2006, and drove the LTTE out of the entire Eastern province of the island. The LTTE then declared they would "resume their freedom struggle to achieve statehood".[19][20][21]

The government then shifted its offensive to the north of the country, and formally announced its withdrawal from the ceasefire agreement on January 2, 2008, alleging that the LTTE violated the agreement over 10,000 times.[22] Since then, aided by the destruction of a number of large arms smuggling vessels that belonged to the LTTE,[23] and an international crackdown on the funding for the Tamil Tigers, the government has taken control of 99.8% of the territory previously controlled by the Tamil Tigers, including their de-facto capital Kilinochchi, main military base Mullaitivu and the entire A9 highway.[24]
(wikipedia)

I have had a close tamil freind since school and she has always informed me of the goings on. its hard as with all conflicts to decide who is right and who is wrong because in war everybody loses. Its my PERSONAL belief that the sri lankan goverment has done some seriously questionable things ,recently they killed loads of people from shelling in a no shelling zone

obvouisly the news that i hear from her are one sided and biased but there must be an element of truth to most of the stories its hard for independant journalists to report on it because they have been banned from reporting in the country

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit to add that there is a protest meeting tomorow to protest for the genocide in sri lanka and to call for a ceasefire i think it is being started at bank but i will speak to my freind to confirm as i may be attending to get pics and vids for this thread

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Reading]

[mod edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 10-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

join