It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Qaeda terror plot to bomb Easter shoppers

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Al-Qaeda terror plot to bomb Easter shoppers

Edited BBCode to fix link (below) - Hope it works fine for you:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

An al-Qaeda cell was days away from carrying out an "Easter spectacular" of co-ordinated suicide bomb attacks on shopping centres in Manchester, police believe.

Police were forced to round up the alleged plotters after they were overheard discussing dates, understood to include the Easter bank holiday, one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year.

"It could have been the next few days and they were talking about 10 days at the outside," one source said. "We had to act." Police are now engaged in a search for an alleged bomb factory, where explosives might have been assembled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.roguegovernment.com

[edit on 10-4-2009 by News And History]

Edited to fix quote to fall within BAN guidelines

[edit on 4/11/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The government-sponsored terrorism must end. We must stop the government; all world-leaders, who pretend to be our protectors. By now, many of us have seen them gladly terrorized the general-population, orchestrate "terrorist-attacks", and falsely-charge innocent people for crimes, which they (government) gladly committed.

We must force them to cease their campaign against us.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't get what the US has to do with a bomb plot in the UK???????? Could you clarify???

news.bbc.co.uk...

Although the police previously insisted there was no intelligence pointing to any specific targets, sources have told the BBC photographs of four popular Manchester locations were recovered during searches.

These were the Arndale and Trafford Centre shopping complexes, Birdcage nightclub and St Ann's Square.

Police are not thought to have recovered any explosive devices during their searches, and BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said his understanding was that the alleged plot had been at the "aspirational, not operational" stage.

On the radio they were saying no weapons were found, either.

Now you've read that, read this:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Police were forced to bring their operation forward and arrested 12 men - 11 of whom are Pakistanis.

Sources say the planned attack was to be "very soon" and "very, very big".

...yet they have so far found NO weapons and NO bomb stuff???

Former home secretary David Blunkett has questioned whether there should be tighter controls on photographers outside Number 10.

How about tighter controls on those in power??

.......and from the day before.......

news.bbc.co.uk...

It is understood raids took place at 10 addresses sooner than planned due to the documents being revealed.

No source for the following, but it was reported that the attacks were set to occur either this Easter Weekend of just after. What with?

No doubt they will introduce additional legislation on the back of this lot.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I hate how our government is against us.

Can't they just respect our freedom and realize what's causing all of these problems?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
news is depressing these days

I mean it's so depressing that everything is a lie

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
If I hear another person claim that everything is a false flag attempt, I'm just going to shoot myself already, because society is just too naive. Not everything is a lie, sometimes things...are *shock* real. You people need to get out more, I enjoy alternative news, and conspiracy theories, but some of you take to such an extreme ignorant level that I just can't even take you seriously.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

You're obviously a government disinformation agent and we can now be assured that this is the beginning of a false flag event.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm always suspicious of these cases.

I was watching the news earlier today and there was a lot of discussion over "controlling immigration" and "introducing ID" to prevent these instances.

So, already, before we even have any adequate evidence that an attack was possible, they are going on about ID and increasing security at the cost of our freedoms.

And all of this despite the obvious fact that implementing such a system would cost billions, whereas dealing with a threat costs a lot less.

The systems we have are clearly working. We have not experienced a successful attack in the UK since 7/7. Obviously what we are doing already is enough. We don't need any ID cards or stricter controls on our rights as citizens, they just need to keep doing what they are doing. In fact, I'd go further and suggest that they need to get rid of a lot of the recently imposed laws and legislation we now have.

I was at work the other night and had a truly worrying experience. A colleague arrived and showed me a piece of paper outlining our responsibilities in reporting "suspicious activities" to a local anti-terrorism department.
We are now being instructed to report people for being suspicious, and one example was a person who has "more than one mobile phone"!

I have never really been one to fear my country, but now I do. I look around me and actually worry about my safety. And that's not fear of the terrorists, it's fear of my own government!

I find myself reconsidering what I write, I reconsider what I read, I worry that my voiced opinions are going to be interpreted as "anti government" and therefore "terrorist". I even worry about coming on here because it probably adds me to another "list".

What does it say about your country when you fear your own government?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You don't know whether to laugh or cry when it comes to Gordon Brown & New Labour. He's got some nerve criticising the Pakistan government for not doing enough about extremists. This coming from the same hypocrite who allows any Tom, Dick or Harry into this country without even so much as a background check. Then he has the audacity to play the fear card and warn us of a pending big terrorist attack. Then in the same sentence he turns around and blurts out, "enjoy your Easter holidays."

[edit on 10-4-2009 by kindred]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
reply to post by yellowcard

You're obviously a government disinformation agent and we can now be assured that this is the beginning of a false flag event.

I actually live only a couple of miles from Manchester city centre and, ironically, I was actually in Manchester city centre (market street) when the IRA detonated a bomb there in 1996.

I also live only a couple of hundred yards away from a place where two Muslims were having Jihad related material printed and subsequently charged for it. This was only a few weeks ago.

Whilst I've no doubt that governments orchestrate and engineer situations to get what they want (ID, surveillance &c.) there's also no doubt in my mind either that there are members of the Muslim community in this country (and outside of this country) that want to wage a terrorist war against the people and the government of this country. I find it bizarre that people seem to think this is an 'either/or' situation, that somehow a government capable of false flags means there can't be the possibility of real terrorists.

I live in a town with real 'no go' areas. The animosity given out by some of the Muslim community towards non-Muslims (both white and non-white) is palpable and not imaginary.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

there's also no doubt in my mind either that there are members of the Muslim community in this country (and outside of this country)

That's never been the issue.

It's always a case of some unreferenced, unattributed, unsourced, anonymous claim the Government makes based on absolutely nothing.

Everytime there's a planned gathering of a few hundred people, suddenly News Networks start flooding the channels with stories of potential mass murder and chaos.

It's ridiculous. Al-Qaeda/Islamic Jihad/Muslim Brotherhood/AQ in Iraq are NOT global networks. As much as some people would like you to believe.

LUNACY IS a global epidemic on the other hand. Some nut, somewhere in the world is always plotting something at any given time. Yes.
Are they necessarily related to a terrorist group? Hardly.

That's nothing new, and it doesn't deserve an honourable mention.

[edit on 10/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
reply to post by Merriman Weir

there's also no doubt in my mind either that there are members of the Muslim community in this country (and outside of this country)

That's never been the issue.

I'd read back the post to which I replied and the post which spurred that reply. Yellowcard poster says: "If I hear another person claim that everything is a false flag attempt" - note the use of the word 'everything' - and for pointing out that not everything is the work of a some government agency and for that he gets called a disinformation agent.

Apparently, it is an issue for some people.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
There are a couple of points in all this that I feel warrant serious discussion, concerning the role of the British government and it's Intelligence agencies in these terrorist acts or arrests.

1. The intake of immigrants from places where the religion or political ideology are a potential danger to the population of the UK. Why do we continue to receive immigrants from these places that are supposedly hotbeds of terrorism and ill feeling towards the west? Why is the government continuing to allow this, knowing that people receiving visas are a potential risk?

2. The role of the Intelligence agencies, who always seem to have informants and information enough to carry out high-profile raids, to make the headlines.

In answer to point 1, either the government or those in high places behind the scenes are incredibly incompetent, or they are deliberately putting the rest of us at risk in order to fulfill their own political agendas. If they are deliberately doing this then they are as much a threat to national security than any foreign terrorist, in fact worse in my eyes, and need to be stopped.

Point 2 makes the whole thing look more than a little orchestrated, in order to bring in more draconian "anti terror" legislation that affects us all, but not the bad guys.

So, what we likely have is a government allowing the bad guys in and putting us all in the firing line, expendable fodder, so that they can usher in more control over us.

Who are the real terrorists?

Surely we need to close the borders and STOP further immigration, to stop these potential bad guys from even getting here but we never hear the politicians talk about doing this, even though it makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I still think people are fixating on the background and religious beliefs of potential terrorists far too much.

Both America and the UK have experience terrorist atrocities before, and not at the hands of "religious extremists". So why do we now always insist on associating terrorism solely with religious nut jobs?

David Copeland wasn't a religious nut, he was a Homophobic, Racist Nazi. Timothy McVeigh wasn't a religious nut, he was delusional, or simply a nut.
How many shootings do you have in the USA, and how many of them are carried out by religious fanatics?
The IRA weren't associated with religious extremism (although there is an element of it), they attacked us in a fight over land.

We are being told over and over that we are being attacked (or COULD be) by religious extremists, and that, therefore, we must restrict our rights as citizens, allow ourselves to be monitored like never before, be suspicious of each other, report everything and every one...

And what is this doing?
It's making people like me, intelligent people who CAN properly consider the risks versus the preventative measures, fear the mentality of my country. It's making people like me, who have read 1984, fear what this country is becoming.
It's allowing radical groups like the BNP more ground and more support through racist ideals.
It's causing groups like the "Real IRA" to re-emerge and start another fight because they see that the UK is submitting and allowing such plots to effect the people of this country.

I saw a report on the BBC about the BNP gaining ground in the European Parliament, and our Labour government were basically saying that it has to be prevented, (and rightly so). And I felt like shouting "WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?!"
They seem completely detached from reality.
It's because our government are continuously ramming down our throats the threat that the "Dark-skinned Muslim man is coming to kill us all!"

Italy elected a similar party to power, and look where that's gotten them. The people are divided, racial tension is rife, and the same is happening in the UK.

It's PEOPLE, black, white, old, young, Muslim and not. Terrorism doesn't only come from the Arab world, and it isn't new. We've allowed people into our country for decades for various reasons, and while I agree that there do need to be tougher controls for many reasons (primarily that we don't have the infrastructure adequate to meet the needs of our own people), this isn't an area of extreme importance in relation to terrorism.

And I'll finish on one important thing to remember...
It's working as it is. It was working before. We don't need any more laws restricting the freedoms of the people of this country in an effort to combat something that COULD happen.
If we continue the way we have been, we'll soon be imprisoning ourselves, and the fundamentalists of this world have already won.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Well said.
The voice of reason speaks, which is something New Labour are completely devoid of. I'd give you ten stars if it would make any difference. I can't believe for one moment that anyone is as naive, incompetent & as stupid as this current government, which leads me to only one possible conclusion. Everything they do must be orchestrated, as it's the only thing that makes sense, but I'm also willing to entertain the idea that this governement is completely devoid of any intelligence and common sense. Which one is it?
Lets face it, the only thing MP's care about these days is their bank balance, at the expense of everything else.

PS. Do AL-Queda do requests? Do you even exist? If so, please do us a favour and bomb these bottom feeders back to the stone age.

new topics

top topics

join