It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netbook users - do you like them?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Anyone have experience with netbooks? I am considering getting one.

I've heard that the keyboards are typically small. Irritating point, but not a deal-breaker.

Also, if you have one, do you have flash or a hard drive? Pro's and con's of each?

What about battery life?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My daughter bought one recently and really likes it. Very compact and lightweight. 1.7Ghz Atom processor, 2Gb RAM, and a 160Gb hard drive (not flash). A neat little unit and quite fast too. Built-in wireless, webcam, card reader, etc. Pretty sweet.

Most I've seen have an 8.9" screen but she opted for a Lenova (IBM) with a 10.1" screen.

Tiger Direct has them starting @ less than $250... including shipping. Heck you can even pick your color if you want.

Hope that helps jso.

[edit: to add]
She seems to be getting approx. 3-4 hours from the battery. (watching movies)

The flash drives do minimize the potential for data loss due to shock or being dropped/mishandled. The downside being most that I've seen aren't that big storage wise.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
A guy in my office has one. It's an Acer Aspire One. According to him, it's great as a "net appliance" for browsing and email stuff. He said he wouldn't use it for any hardcore processing or storage, but as something portable it's great for home or office casual surfing.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have an Acer Aspire and I love it.

I get about 6 hours out of the battery, it runs fast, it is very light, very powerful, and has enough room to do what I need to do on it.

I prefer it to a desk top or regular laptop, to be honest.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Yeah. While they simply don't have the hardware to support any sort of Real gaming, video editing or other resource-intensive applications, they do work quite well for basic home use, web surfing, email, word processing and the like.

My daughter takes her's to nursing classes, since it's so small, lightweight and portable, then just transfers anything she needs to her full-size laptop via either our home network or a flash (thumb) drive.

Even though they don't have an optical drive, you can load movies onto a usb flash drive and watch them that way. The added benefit being you're not wasting the battery by having to power the drive and spin a disc for two hours.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies.

Does having a hard drive vs flash figure significantly into battery life?

Are car DC adapters available?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Thanks for all the replies.

Does having a hard drive vs flash figure significantly into battery life?

Are car DC adapters available?

I dont know about netbooks, but they have them for alot of laptops. I have one for my HP pavillion dv6000. I rarely use it though.

I am not sure which one would work for the one you are interested in but here are a few websites that have car adapters.

www.laptopsforless.com...
www.bizrate.com...

I think I found mine on amazon.com but I cant recall exactly, I am about 90% sure that is where I got it.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

GST

join