It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sabotage Suspected in Silicon Valley Cable Cut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Sabotage Suspected in Silicon Valley Cable Cut

www.pcmag.com

What's significant is that the outage covers both landlines and cellular service, meaning that some residents will be completely cut off. That means that 911 emergency services may not be accessible to some, and residents will need to drive themselves to a hospital or a police or fire station if they have an emergency, officials told The San Francisco Chronicle.

The scope of the problem was not known at press time, and AT&T did not seem to know when the issue would be repaired. "Re: CA service outage: We have crews on the scene. More details and repair ETAs will be shared as soon as available," AT&T tweeted via its Twitter feed.

Later on Thursday, AT&T said that it was working with authorities on what it characterized as an act of vandalism. Four cables were cut on Monterey Highway north of Blossom Hill Road in south San Jose, police Sgt. Ronnie Lopez told SFGate.com, and two more were severed in San Carlos.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fiercetelecom.com
news.cnet.com
eideard.wordpress.com
www.timesoftheinternet.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 4/10/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This happened all at once in the Silicon Valley area.

It could be just a coincidence or a planned attack on a communication system. As that the system interupted emergency cell and land communications there could be an alternative motive.

Hypothetically the attack could have been successful if whatever the assailants were after was obtainable with this communication system defective.

Does anyone know of something in that area that this type of activity would support the theft of?

Or could it be a dry run for something larger, and if so do you think we will get any credible information from the official sources?

www.pcmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/10/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Sounds like the war against the government has began.

We will have to see when other infrastructure target in Calif are hit.

Like water to LA and power lines in the state.

When thing are broken and it takes time to fix the democrats that run Calif will take the blame.

If you attack people every one want your hide.

But if you attack the infrastructure everyone want the politician that was to protect the systems hide tacked to the wall.

Plus it is very hard to imposable to protect all the infrastructure targets in a state.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfpack 51

Does anyone know of something in that area that this type of activity would support the theft of?

I work in telecoms in the UK, so might be able to give an insight.

Even though alot of our network is fibre, people still dig up our cables looking for copper as it is worth quite a bit. We had at least 4 seperate incidents last year alone where Pikeys with JCB's dug up our network.

BT must have one at least once a week...

I suspect that it might be the case in the US. Copper fetches a very good scrap price and times are hard.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Yeah, but they described it as vandalism, and not theft. The USA has lots of copper theft and it is always talked about outright if thats the case. It was maybe smashed or beaten apart...I think if the lines were cut it would be called terrorism or something worse.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I suspect that it might be the case in the US. Copper fetches a very good scrap price and times are hard.

Just about to chime in with the same idea.

Global copper prices are soaring in recent times. 1 pound of copper will fetch you $5-6 dollars USD.
A few hundred kilograms of copper fetches $3000-4000 dollars at scrap yards and commodity metal traders.

Naturally telecomm companies are a major target for copper theft because of the amount of copper telephone lines you can find in most cities that are easy to dig up and well away from prying eyes.

This is becoming a global issue. Last year in Australia, thieves raided an ISP's datacentre in Melbourne which contained the Melbourne backbone for Internet traffic.

They made off with an industrial roll of sheet copper stored at the datacentre, which they loaded onto a flat-bed track. It was estimated to be worth $100,000 dollars.

[edit on 10/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I think its more likely that it was cut during some sort of construction, fiber optic cables are buried and encased in a polyethelene pipe.
It would take construction equipment to dig one up and damage it, they are buried 8-10' down? when ive seen em laying cable.

besides there is no copper in a fiber optic line, and under new state laws private citizens cannot just sell scrap non ferrous metals any more. There is a waiting period with a background check to see if there were any thefts of said materials.
Believe me it is a pain in the A,
When I moved my machine shop a few months ago I scrapped out 7 years worth stainless steel and bronze scrap. Even though I am an actual business with all the trappings of an actual business it was like I was trying to sell them uncut diamonds, I even got a call from the local sherrifs dept doing a background check on my transaction.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
Yeah, but they described it as vandalism, and not theft. The USA has lots of copper theft and it is always talked about outright if thats the case. It was maybe smashed or beaten apart...I think if the lines were cut it would be called terrorism or something worse.

I spoke with a friend who is ont he police force in San Jose:

This was not some random act. Nor was it some teens having fun. Whoever did this had to stand in 4 feet of water and new exactly where to cut.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

It was a fiber optic line and nothing was stolen. This was not random theft

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Thanks for the info Fred.

However isn't most ordinary, single-mode DSL backbone fibre wrapped in copper cladding and then a plastic insulator?

I thought they do that to stop "blooming" where the high speed of the signal forces the light towards the edges of the conductor?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It seems like a distraction operation. Could there be a junction box around 1/4 mile to were this incident occurred ?.We use similar methods on foreign and domestic operations.

Then again what do i know.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I have nary a clue. I admit my ignorance of undergrowd cabling. Its possible that it could have been someone stealing and cut the wrong wires and booked, but there are easier targets to do this IMHO.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
A whopping $250000 reward has been offered

$250,000 reward in phone cable vandalism

Authorities hope a quarter-million-dollar reward will shake loose a tipster to lead them to the vandals who severed underground fiber-optic cables, cutting off phone service for tens of thousands of people and disrupting life throughout southern Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and San Benito counties.
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2009/04/11/MNJB170JM7.DTL

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I have nary a clue. I admit my ignorance of undergrowd cabling. Its possible that it could have been someone stealing and cut the wrong wires and booked, but there are easier targets to do this IMHO.

Oh definitely. If you want copper just go and cut out your neighbour's gas water heater piping while they're not home. That's about $200 dollars right there.

I just recalled hearing something about fibre optic cables having a copper clad in a Network Systems course a while back.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Learn something new every day

My wine lockers are right my the wires that were cut in San Carlos on Bing street.

They were able to move the 250 pound manhole covers which is no small feat so it has to be more than one person IMHO

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
news.cnet.com...

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2009/04/09/BAP816VTE6.DTL

The Fiber was cut in 4 places if I am not mistaken and did not appear to be the work of "copper thieves" but instead blatant criminal vandalism. Cell tower service was impacted because the fiber optic lines from the towers to the central office was carried through this path that was cut.

The coincidence is The CWA (the telecom union) contract just expired...

The vandalism comes as AT&T is in talks with the Communications Workers of America for a contract covering more than 80,000 employees, who have been working under their old deal since it expired at 11:59 p.m. Saturday. Union members voted in late March to authorize a strike but have not scheduled one.

Candice Johnson, spokeswoman for the CWA, said union members were not involved in the incidents.

So, there are many possibilities of the reason why these lines were hit.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Im beginning to think that the labor issue is a false flag kind of deal IMHO. Something is not quite right with all of this.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

So, there are many possibilities of the reason why these lines were hit.

Disgruntled employee/IT nerd?

Not the strangest possibility, especially in our current economic straits.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
here in n.ireland they used to cut the phone lines before a robbery so the people cant call the police...

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Sounds like the war against the government has began.

LOL! This is hilarious. A couple of kids vandalize an internet connection and people start claiming crazy things like "the war against the gov has began"

Whatever...

People who are "warring against the Gov" are nothing more than folks without their own sense of authority. Probably beat out of them by an authoritarian parent or church....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join