It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you, Would you, Stop a Mass Shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If you were carrying a capable handgun and you were going about your business , licenced to do so of course or maybe even not, if you were minding your own at the mall and someone came in blasting, would you have the guts to pull that pistol and stop them, or run like everyone else for cover. It's a question you cannot answer until you are in the thick of it, according to information I have read, time slows down, as in the first shooting scene in the Hollywood production "16 blocks", seconds stretch out in time due to the amazing survival processing of stimulus your brain opens up to in a life or death crisus, our brains go from using ten percent to ninety nine percent to keep us alive. But for general conversation and debate here right now, would you shoot the perp, and would the news nationally broadcast a snippet that would say that you stopped a mass shooting, or would it be another local story without nationwide coverage. To clarify this post, here are my questions I would like answered.

1. would you pull your weapon and return fire
2. would you take the chance for others to misunderstand and say you were the first shooter?
3. would the news bury the story or glorify you on cnn?
4. how would things change if the person was someone you knew and liked?
5. if the perp hadn't shot anyone but was shooting the place up, would you still shoot them?
6. would you try and stop them from shooting themselves so they could face trial or go away in a nuthouse?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
my answer to my own questions are as follows

yes I would draw my weapon and would shoot to stop the perp
no matter the relationship, and I wouldn't worry about the legal matters until after I knew it was over, after all , there could be more than one shooter@ this mall !

Knowing someone could make them want to shoot you even more than the strangers in the mall. Taking cover is ok if you have time to do it, if the perp has made eye contact with you, your probally next to get shot.

I don't believe the news is looking for heros with guns these days, I do believe the story would get buried.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by backyard guru]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
To be honest, I would say yes.

But in reality, the situation would dictate more. I don't think I could handle it if I knew that I was responsible for killing innocent people while trying to stop a mass shooting. Bullets have no names.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by backyard guru

I would do it if I had no gun. It depends, if it is a lone-gunman, then, yeah. More than one, the odds are worse, I would probably run. But if I had a gun I would for more than one gunman.

I would give my life so that complete strangers could live.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with a shooting as long as the right person or people get shot. I would protect me and mine. The innocents would have to be protected.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by backyard guru
If you were carrying a handgun, minding your own, and someone came in blasting, would you pull that pistol; life or death crisis, would you shoot?

Real good question, backyard guru.

Only after screaming:
FREEZE!
DROP IT!
FACE AWAY FROM ME!
ON YOUR KNEES!
INTER-LACE YOUR FINGERS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!
And the perp didn't comply.
If he DID comply, I'd disarm him, and yell for someone to call the cops. No shots fired would be ideal. There are lots of security cameras watching. If people saw you shoot the shooter without attempting to let him surrender, later on the news, who knows what you'd look like?

I've given this topic some serious thought. After my beautiful young cousin Bridgett, (21) was abducted at gunpoint by a 'man' (63) who held her overnight, and murdered her, I will tell you that I am prepared to ACT; NO MATTER WHAT, if I could save an innocent life... I'm with Plucky.

STAR for you, Plucky.

This is why I STAND at the back of my church, during mass.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Having the training and the know how I would most certainly put down any gunman attempting a mass murder. And I would gladly take a bullet if that means that many others could live. People are important to me. I believe that any man or woman of valor would agree with me.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Yes.

2. would you take the chance for others to misunderstand and say you were the first shooter?

If they've already shot someone, certainly.

Hopefully it wouldn't get a lot of media coverage.

The funeral would be awkward. OK, seriously, I can't answer that question. I'd like to that nothing would change.

5. if the perp hadn't shot anyone but was shooting the place up, would you still shoot them?

Can I determine that? Probably not. I'd assume they were trying to kill or harm people, and defend my family and myself. Oh, and bystanders too.

6. would you try and stop them from shooting themselves so they could face trial or go away in a nuthouse?

No.

I also agree with pluckynoonez ,Frightener, and Projectvxn. There are too few people willing to take actions like that.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by zeropistons]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
That's a loaded question.

How often do you do things for no other reason than because you can?

What, actually, qualifies one to be able to "stop a mass shooting?" What kind of course of study is there for that?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
There isn't one. And it isn't a loaded question. Would you have the gumption to stop it or wouldn't you. It's really that simple when you get around all the other stuff in the OP.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Yes I would stop a shooting.
Yes I would shoot someone I know/like if they threaten others with death

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

If the situation presented itself, my weapon would be drawn, and I would then follow the procedure outlined by FRIGHTENER, making sure the perp saw that I had him/ her in my sights...

Unless shots had been fired...I would have no idea of the perps intentions.
After all, "he" may be taking a bead on the real perp.

I have no control over how the media would handle the coverage. I will take responsibility for my actions, but would not seek the limelight.

Depends on "his" target.

Tough call, this. Would depend on "his" reaction to my "scream". If "he" turned and I could determine that I became the target...without hesitation.

NOPE. Conscious of the justice system...

The same course of action, regardless if I were carrying a firearm. My keys, pocket change, anything that could be used to divert attention from intended target(s), a split second is all that is required for another good Sam to lend a hand. That said, yes, I would chance the bullet to save others...

Note: the
smiley couldn't be positioned after the response to #4 to express sarcasm.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The quality of answers are incredible, I actually am learning something here, hope to read even more responses . Thanks People!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Here's some answers for you.

1. would you pull your weapon and return fire.

I’ve pulled my pistol to stop a drunk with a loaded rifle from shooting a 18 year old girl.
No press.

I've shot in self defense before - he got a butt full of buckshot.

I’ve stepped between a drunk who broke a beer bottle and went at a man I knew on the sidewalk. I didn't have to pull my pistol, having a woman standing in between the two stopped the attacker. Who then promptly got the snot kicked out of him by 5 or 6 guys who’d just been standing around waiting for something to happen.

Note: This is one of the dumbest things I ever did.

After going through a Street Survival course and seeing how dangerous edged weapons can be? I should of just shot the guy.

There would be no misunderstanding.

No idea.

Depends on the situation.

Yes.

Yes. Either the situation is highly charged emotionally and the same person wouldn’t think of killing themselves once they calm down, or, they can go kill themselves later without me being involved if they really want to.

peace

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

So anybody is free to interfere in what they perceive to be a mass shooting? What if the shooting were justified? What if there were a threat to shoot, but no shots are ever fired? Would you shoot first and ask questions later?

If your own life is in danger, then obviously you have to defend yourself, but what ever happened to people minding their own business?

"Stopping a mass shooting" doesn't have to be on-site. It could also theoretically be attempted by taking away guns. I bet you never thought about that scenairo.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

""Stopping a mass shooting" doesn't have to be on-site. It could also theoretically be attempted by taking away guns. I bet you never thought about that scenairo."

I have thought about that... my response is ...that is most likely the cause for the masses to start shooting.

Theoretically, of course!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

Of course!

You have to fight for your rights!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yes. If I were armed at the time -- without hesitation.
It is far superior to being a victim or dead.

I'm sure plenty of others would do the same.
Some have done it, though you don't hear about those cases much in the news.

I would be scared to death and my adrenaline would be pumping, but I know I could aim center mass and pull the trigger - repeatedly.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If I were armed, I would do my best to neutralize the situation. Now if the shooter had an Uzi or some other full auto, I would definitely be hesitant. I'm fairly confident in my marksmanship and my self control in high pressure situations. As was said before, the situation would dictate most of my actions. And I wouldn't try the "freeze" routine, because chances are if the person is shooting up some place he is prepared to die and would not hesitate to turn and fire on me.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

It would take me a couple of seconds to pick my heart up from the ground but I would rise up and definitely know where to shoot

It would not even enter my mind if they came in blasting

I would not let them sensationalise or profit on my name and actions.

I really keep a tight circle of friends, I do not know or like people who would do something like this.

Yes but not to kill

I would not react to them shooting themselves

[edit on 12-4-2009 by HulaAnglers]

new topics

top topics

join