It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fiji's president assumes power, fires judges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Fiji's president assumes power, fires judges

news.yahoo.com

SUVA, Fiji – Fiji's president assumed control Friday and fired the judges who a day earlier had declared the military government illegal, deepening the troubled South Pacific country's political turmoil.

President Ratu Josefa Iloilo announced in a nationally broadcast radio address that he had abolished the constitution, assumed all governing power and revoked all judicial appointments.

"I hereby confirm I have abrogated the 1997 constitution and appointed myself as head of state in the new order," Iloilo said in the address.

The move came one day after the country's second-highest court ruled that armed forces chief Commodore Frank Bainimarama's government that took power after a 2006 coup was illegal, effectively creating a power vacuum.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This is extremely troubling...especially the new head of state and absolute rulers reference to the "new order" and firing judges...It seems that things will get much worse before they get better. I wonder if this has anything to do with the G20 meetings last week.

Fiji, powerhouse sugar exporter faces continued international isolation. I just didn't want a story like this to go unnoticed and I hope others see the importance of keeping and eye open as the situation develops.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
When i heard on the news yesterday that Frank Bainimarama's rule was over i thought good Fiji can sort itself out again.Seems that maybe they have now gone from the frying pan to the fire maybe.
Its a pity if you've been to Fiji you would know how beautiful most of the people are there and how most dont want any of this crap.
The whole coup of Frankies majorly affected trade with other countries and of course affected the average joe and not old Frank.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well they just had a 4.6 EQ so he gets to deal with that on his first day if any damage was done.

YAY him...

new topics

top topics

join