It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Seeks $83.4 Billion in Special War Money

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Obama Seeks $83.4 Billion in Special War Money

news.yahoo.com

By ANDREW TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama asked Congress on Thursday for $83.4 billion for U.S. military and diplomatic operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, pressing for special troop funding that he opposed two years ago when he was senator and George W. Bush was president.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What is this "special war money?" How does it differ from "regular war money?"

I could've sworn I heard promises of "Change We Can Believe In" a few months ago. It sounds more like 1965 Vietnam.

Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, acknowledged that Obama has been critical of Bush's use of similar special legislation to pay for the wars. He said it was needed this time because the money will be required by summer, before Congress is likely to complete its normal appropriations process.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, a holdover from the Bush administration, said, "The reality is the alternative to the supplemental is a sudden and precipitous withdrawal of the United States from both places, and I don't know anybody who thinks that's a good idea."

Of course not. Withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan -- those special trillion-dollar wars which were based on lies, deception and this phony "War on Terror" that's done nothing but destroy civil liberties and bankrupt the country -- would be a terrible idea.

Endless war is a much better idea.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-4-2009 by GoldenFleece]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
spend;
spend;
spend our cash;
Spend it till we're Broke
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily;
the country goes up in smoke;

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Verd_Vhett]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
So it will be needed by summer to cover them until Congress passes the budget for the next fiscal year starting in October. What happened to the money that was budgeted last year that was supposed to last them till October of this year?

That is 20 billion a month to cover the summer.

The CIA must be busy buying up the Afghanistan opium crops.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
we all knew this was going to happen, how can people honestly think he would do anything different then any other president when they are just puppets

but i can bet you know one will question this.. why would they question there very own personal messiah

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

i finally got my mother to sit down with me to watch "the obama deception". it was dead silent in the room the entire length of the film. after wards she simply said "WOW". she said she had no idea of any of this. she said she felt a little stupid for not paying attention to what was going on around her. this definitely wasnt what i thought she was going to say. i was actually surprised. i think i made a break through tonight. waking up 1 person at a time

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Don't you know you have to spend money to stimulate the economy. Barack is just doing it for things like guns, and bullets, and tanks, and stuff.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Ok, I'm all for making sure the troops have what they need and are taken care of if they come back in need of care, but where exactly is all this money coming from? Is the country secretly rich and we all just think there's a deficit? How much more is he going to ask for during his first six months? He is aware that money actually doesn't grow on trees, right?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well he has no choice. He came into a troubled economy and costly wars meanwhile Osama bin laden still out there laughing. Anybody who thinks he could have just "pulled out of those wars" are naive... I never supported the war in Iraq, wanted troops out, but always remained realistic that a gradual withdrawal of about a year or so was necessary, and during that period the war was inevatibly cost billions regardless.

Funny though, with all my constant repeating over the years of how this Iraq war costing us 100's of billions, $200 million a day, all I got back from folks here are slack one lined excuses. Now folks are up in arms about a request for money to maintain the wars until complete withdrawal.

Fringers are trying to find something to go on about everything with this administration, it is pathetic.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Well he has no choice. He came into a troubled economy and costly wars meanwhile Osama bin laden still out there laughing.

your being sarcastic right?

you do know Osama Bin Laden has been dead for years? and when he was alive the CIA is the one that trained him and financed him?

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Darth_Prime]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
As for Afghanistan, Osama is still out there and we made a committment to catch that man since that dreadful day of 2001. Dont care what little 9/11 conspiracy folks have here, that man attacked out nation and thats why we're in afghanistan. Cant compare that to the hunt for Osama Bin Laden sorry.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

If you want go on about your 9/11 conspiracy or NWO conspiracies go and post another thread, otherwise lets stick to topic mmk?

I love it how folks here kept their mouths shut about the Iraq war all these years and the cost about it, now that the Obama administration is in, they give a damn about how bad war is.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well what you guys are ignoring is the fact that bush did not finish his war. Obama has to finish it. thats why we elected him. Remember?

And thats going to cost money. Where has all the logic gone in these subjects?

Obama is doing what he can to "FIX" the mess our country is in. Which is why i support him.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I agree completely, and have said pretty much the same thing about pulling out of Iraq in another thread around here somewhere. My only concern is he is constantly asking for a few billion here, a few billion there, and seems to be only concerned with spending as much as possible as quickly as possible when in reality we don't have two dimes to rub together. It's not just this particular request that has me worried, it's all of his monetary requests combined in such a short time span.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

just a curious question you might know the answer to.

As a US Senator, Did Obama ever write a bill to pull the troops out of Iraq?

BTW, I agree Obama inherited these wars.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by jam321]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

As for Afghanistan, Osama is still out there and we made a committment to catch that man since that dreadful day of 2001. Dont care what little 9/11 conspiracy folks have here, that man attacked out nation and thats why we're in afghanistan. Cant compare that to the hunt for Osama Bin Laden sorry.

okay man now your just being ignorant..

do you truly belive that 1 Osama is still alive, and 2 he is the one that carried out 911? haven't you researched into the events of 911? it was the work of the NWO mate, i was on holiday right by the twin towers when it happened, you heard massive explosions, you saw blast from different floors before it actually started to implode,

but thats besides the point mate, the point is since the beginning the NWO have been pushing there agenda, by fear mongering, and false flags, false wars, false economy

please open your eyes mate

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vyrtigo

Well what you guys are ignoring is the fact that bush did not finish his war. Obama has to finish it. thats why we elected him. Remember?

I wasn't aware Obama was elected to finish the war. I thought it was based on change.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Reply to Darth prime
Even if what you are saying is true, I dont think it holds true with our current president.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Vyrtigo]

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Vyrtigo]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Darth_Prime

If you want go on about your 9/11 conspiracy or NWO conspiracies go and post another thread, otherwise lets stick to topic mmk?

I love it how folks here kept their mouths shut about the Iraq war all these years and the cost about it, now that the Obama administration is in, they give a damn about how bad war is.

to keep on topic, i never kept my mouth shut about this bull **** war when bush was in office, nor will i keep it shut now that obama is in office, because its on a bigger scale then that, the war was started on false reasons, and all this money being put into is is pure bollocks, whether your Republican or Democrat
(which i am neither)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
to keep on topic, i never kept my mouth shut about this bull **** war when bush was in office, nor will i keep it shut now that obama is in office

And yet you expect the wars to just end and no cost any further? Is that realistic? There will be billions spent regardless, even if troops were to be withdrawn within a weeks time. The difference is that the kind of withdrawal you go on about is beyond sane and unrealistic for a military size of the US, considering the 6 years of settlement in those nations.

We came into those nations, we should do to deed to leave and clean the mess behind us.

because its on a bigger scale then that, the war was started on false reasons,

The Iraq war was started on false pretenses, true, and there is plenty of evidence to prove that. Afghanistan dives into 9/11 and those circumstances and that is only limited to your opinion.

and all this money being put into is is pure bollocks, whether your Republican or Democrat
(which i am neither)

And will be regardless of what happens, whether we withdraw within a months time or a years time. The differences between those times is that we be cleaning the mess left behind if over a year.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join