It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grotesque new reality TV show: Workers compete to keep jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I really wish I was making this up. People can be so ugly sometimes.
-Silent

SOURCE:
www.guardian.co.uk...

Reality TV's latest wheeze: make US workers compete to keep jobs

About 700,000 Americans were sacked in March. In the past month three men who recently lost their jobs went on gun rampages, killing a total of 26 people. What to do with such grim news? Turn it into a reality TV show, of course.

Bright sparks at Endemol USA, the American branch of the brand that brought you Big Brother, have come up with a new idea: to wallow in the misery of America's threatened workers.

Each week, the show, Someone's Gotta Go, sets itself up in a small business where times are hard and redundancies have to be made. The employees - usually 15 to 20 of them - will be allowed to see the firm's books, and will be told how much each of them earns.

Then they will reveal what they think of each other. They will be fighting for their livelihoods, for at the climax of the episode the employees will vote to decide which of them is added to the pile of unemployed. And you thought Alan Sugar's "You're fired!" was brutal.

Not since a Dutch TV company had the stroke of genius two years ago of conceiving a reality show in which a terminally ill woman got to choose which contestant received one of her kidneys after her death has anyone come up with something quite so edgy.

More at source

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Ah, capitalism at it´s finest, definitely time to knock reality TV on the head.
What happenned to compassion for your fellow man?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Many of the younger people I work with watch these reality shows and think they are a hoot.
Personally watching people fight, scream, roll around on the ground, grovel, cry is debasing, sort of like the Romans at the Amphitheater in Rome watching, laughing, entertained by watching someone get torn to shreds.

or

Cock, dog and or bull fighting.

Some people are still at the savage level mentally and spiritually, (maybe they have more Reptilian DNA). Some people get off on the most cruel and degrading stuff and simply like watching bad stuff happen to others.

I totally can't understand how one can watch another person or animal suffer physically or emotionally and be entertained by it.

The reality shows that I have seen on our company TV at noon while heating up my lunch are disgusting, debasing, savage and stupid - the lower the intelligence the harder they laugh.

People are being dumbed downed, entertained and kept busy so we never become aware of our true spiritual potential.

There is a really old saying, it's called "The Golden Rule" and it goes, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

My dog shows more dignity and empathy than many "humans" I watch. If that doesn't say something about the human condition.

The reality shows suck big time in my opinion.

This includes Judge Judy and Jerry Springer.

Still can't understand why people would want to watch the agony of a out of control divorce couple or a mate caught red handed having an affair.

Nosy, gossipy and the enjoyment of watching another fellow human being having to air their dirty laundry in public.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Not since a Dutch TV company had the stroke of genius two years ago of conceiving a reality show in which a terminally ill woman got to choose which contestant received one of her kidneys after her death has anyone come up with something quite so edgy.

Wow, I'm glad we don't have anything that psychotic on American TV..yet. But this is just another reality show so there's a 90% chance it'll all be staged anyway.

Regardless, I think its just another cheap attempt to squeeze money out of an increasingly dumber television audience.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

This is sickening, trying to capitalize on the economic downturn and the anxiety of whether people will be able to find or keep a job. Reminds me of the satirical commercials from Robocop

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Very good analogy, sounds very much like the future. It will be dog eat dog and only the rich will survive.
Unless you are very heavily armed that is

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I was wondering how long it would take for some TV company to try to capitalize on the economic crisis and put out some kind of crap like this.

Well, if they can make a garbage "reality" show, get people to watch it and make money than more power to 'em. I personally find the whole idea abhorrent, but hey, what do I know.

To quote Kent Brockman:

"I place the blame for this squarely on you, THE VIEWER!"

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Isn't this what's Donald Trump's show's all about?

two lines

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

These sick bastards should be the first contestants on the show. How can you make a show like this and hope people will actually watch.
Dumb bastards before you know it we'll have a reality show for terrorists where hostages compete to not be executed fuc#ing morons.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Beach Bum]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Originally posted by silent thunder

Wow, I'm glad we don't have anything that psychotic on American TV..yet. But this is just another reality show so there's a 90% chance it'll all be staged anyway.

Just thought I'd point out that the "terminally ill woman" on that show was in fact a fake. The contestants were real and thought she was, but in the final they reveiled she wasn't dying, or even ill.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum

These sick bastards should be the first contestants on the show. How can you make a show like this and hope people will actually watch.
Dumb bastards before you know it we'll have a reality show for terrorists where hostages compete to not be executed fuc#ing morons.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Beach Bum]

Don't give them any ideas!
The producers of these shows should be tried for crimes against humanity

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
hey it'll be worth while for posterity's sake. Once things go all communism we'll be looking at the good ol' days....or will we? dun dun... dun!!

Anyone remember the reality show where people were basically tortured while trying to answer questions? lol, I can't believe that actually happened. They'd sit in a chair and they'd be put in a freezer or an oven pretty much. "Sorry time's up, but at least your face is cooked to perfection!".

[edit on 11-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

new topics

top topics

join