It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Tobacco ... Now Soft Drinks ...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
As long as everyone is in the mood to tax stuff, can we move to impose new taxes on companies that package their consumer goods in that impossible to penetrate plastic?

I HATE that stuff.
Tax the living crap out of that!

Too funny. Ellen DeGeneres does a great comedy bit about that.

She points out that they package D Cell batteries in impenetrable rigid plastic cases to "protect" them yet light bulbs come in flimsy cardboard containers.

Regards....KK

[edit on 11-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
What is one sided is assuming that the result isn't the will of the American People.

If you disagree with these types of bills, then by all means write your congressmen as well. If Schrodinger would have left it at "I disagree with these bills... and wish those voting for it would stop!", then that's fine... it's not a one sided view. It states his opinion and what he would like done about it, but it also recognizes, that there are other Americans, just like him, who are FOR this bill.

You keep harping on this point for some reason that escapes me.

I never contested that there may be people who support this bill nor did I marginalize those who do. This is a stone you choose to bear for your own reasons but it surely it is not as a result of anything I said in my OP.

What you fail to grasp is that this conversation isn't about soft drinks, tobacco, sugar, or even health itself.

You are truly missing the forest for the trees.

How Am I missing the forest for the trees. You don't agree with something that I support. That's all that's going on here.

There is no big bad boogey man trying to steal your rights from you.

It's your fellow man, for right or wrong, who is doing this.

Do YOU have any idea what can be done about the fact that our food supply is saturated with poison which happens to be cheaper than the healthy foods in our supply?

I'm sorry but that is the real conspiracy. Yet, I don't see you mentioning this at all...

I'm not saying that taxation is the cure here. I'm saying that it's a step toward treating the symptoms. I've mentioned herein.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by HunkaHunka]

[edit on 11-4-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
There is no big bad boogey man trying to steal your rights from you.

It's your fellow man, for right or wrong, who is doing this.

Totally agree Hunka.

They want it both ways and fail to realize: "You can't eat your cake and have it too."

Ask if those who detest the "system" have car insurance or life insurance? Do they have a degree or diploma? Do they work for a company or belong to a union?
Do they live in a commune or belong to a food co-op?

I'll suspect they do unless they are living on an island with a computer and wi-fi access.

Perhaps they are "artists" and feel things more deeply than others.

As far as I know utopia does not exist, so if you don't have an enemy, create one.

Regards....KK

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The only difference between democrat&republican, liberal& conservative,is how they take your freedom away.this current phase is going to be expensive, tax it all "for the children!" WOOF!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am just waiting for them to come up with a way to tax us for breathing air, I have no doubt they would do it it. This is BS governments are taxing everything and all it will lead to is them being able to spend more money yet they will never actually be able to get out of Debt!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Verd_Vhett

I am just waiting for them to come up with a way to tax us for breathing air, I have no doubt they would do it it.

We exhale carbon dioxide, this will probably be covered in the cap and trade scheme, 1 cent for every exhale.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Verd_Vhett

Wait for the carbon emissions tax.

They won't tax the breaths you take, but they will tax your impact on "their" air.

It is coming.

And all of the pro-tax people can rejoice!

We already pay 40% of our money back to the Government people! Jesus Christ on a Crutch, WAKE UP!
It isn't right.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Why would beef hormone injections be in pork ribs? Just curious. As for any other chemical I was actually referring to the cholesterol. But generally home grown animals around here do not have any of that added stuff you were talking about. Unless of course the local farmers are doing some strange things they normally do not do, but hey I cannot watch them 24/7 nor do I wish to, they have their own life.

I might want to check into some growth hormones for myself though I could stand to gain about ten pounds or so.

Raist

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamsnatcher

I would be even more upset if they start taxing my ribs

What movie are you referring to exactly? My avartar is from an 80’s movie and TV series called V. www.imdb.com...

I only ask because not many remember the movie

They did have to take the planet back but it was mostly centered on reptile aliens. It was sort of like a Nazi fascist take over but they were wearing red (I assume because of the cold war).

Raist

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Let me tell you how it will be;
There's one for you, nineteen for me.
'Cause Im the taxman,
Yeah, Im the taxman.

george harrison had it spot on.

Whats the answer to fat people TAX, whats the answer to global warming a green TAX, how the hell is giving the government more cash going to solve this, more to the point why do we need the government to poke its nose into every facet of our lives, some people are obese they need to sort that out themselves why the hell should i pay more to make certain people eat healthily. Instead of spending billions this year killing people in other countries how about we give it a rest and use some cash to improve education and the standard of living in some areas.

The local council in my area knocked down the local football park sold the land for houses to be built on it, the next week they preach about kids getting fat, they line their own pockets then point the finger at parents, well the kids used to go out and stay fit but you knocked the bloody park down now they sit around.

The nanny state annoys me but so do many people they invite the government to wipe their arse because they think they are incapable or are too lazy to do it themselves, many people deserve a government that controls every aspect of their lives they wouldnt mind as long as they have tv, how about people taking responsibility for their own lives, their own health and wealth its going to be hard preventing governments becoming more like orwells vision when so many people are just blimming useless. ( not aimed at people who actually are incapable through disability or whatnot i firmly believe societies taking care of those who genuinely cant take care of themselves to be one of our finest attributes)

When i was a kid my nan used to say they will tax the air we breathe next, im sure she would of been amused by green tax, its like the politicians and bankers have been working for years on this personal joke of taxing the air we breathe like achieving it would be the ultimate goal, when it happens im sure their will be many people supping champagne saying we actually did it and they fell for it, im all for keeping the planet clean and stopping pollution but to me it starts from the top make big business green and it will trickle down to the masses.

wow that was my rant, it was taxing indeed

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

And to quote another good song.

"They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot

They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum
And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them
No, no, no, don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone
They paved paradise, and put up a parkin' lot

Hey farmer, farmer, put away your DDT
I don't care about spots on my apples,
Leave me the birds and the bees - please"

Yeah, the logic is ridiculous.
Tear down the park for profit and then tax the people for not going outside.

This world is insane.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
This is rediculous...really it is.. IF thye really cared about obesity, theyde take the corn syrup out of soft drinks, NOT profit off others misery or un intentional health. They must really want the soft drink buisness to go under. I stopped drinking sfot drinks anyway, after learning coca cola is use to clean up blood,per many state troops.

That is among the most ludicrous things I have heard in ages. If you would please tell me the State Trooper organization that you are referring to, i would like to see if maybe one of the government agencies would like to hit them with some infractions.

Blood is considered a biohazardous material, and is treated as such. If you Google "Blood Spill Cleanup" you will find several processes for how to clean up blood spills, and many kits that enable this.

In short, however, the process usually allows for the soaking of the blood in a germicidal solution (to kill things like HIV, HBV, and other bloodborne pathogens), and a granular absorption powder (to turn the liquid into solid). You then use germicidal "rags" to clean up the mess and dispose of it in a red Biohazard bag.

Coca Cola does not kill HIV, Hep B or Hep C. If it does, then we have a wonderful cure all ready made, right? Maybe that is Magic Johnsons secret...LOL.

RE: the OP...i am a smoker and i REALLY like my Dr. Pepper's. I am pissed about the cig tax increase (and i will likely be buying "the patch" soon). If they raise taxes on my Dr. Pepper, i will march on Dublin, Tx and seize the manufacturing plant. That way i don't get the crap with high fructose syrup, but the 'good stuff' with imperial sugar.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Another case of Problem, Reaction, Solution.
Funny though how the solutions always COST US money.

Instead of the government giving everyone a free digital TV box, they should give every household a free TREADMILL if they are serious about obesity.
Not encourage everyone to sit on their arses watching TV and getting fatter.

But we can't do that, that makes too much SENSE.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

Why would beef hormone injections be in pork ribs? Just curious.

OK, sorry. We all know they don't inject swine with such chemicals.

Semantics my friend. Enjoy Porky.

Look. if it makes you feel any better, last night I consumed an entire bag of Twizzlers.
(laden with HFCS.) I am currently looking for string / wicks. I'm thinking I'll be giving out Strawberry-scented candles for Christmas this year.

Regards.......KK

[edit on 12-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Maybe you took that wrong or maybe your just jokingly explaining your point as I did. The internet makes it difficult to understand sarcasm much of the time.

I was simply making a joke about injecting pork with beef hormones

Regardless again I doubt the local farmers do such things, though it might be possible that for some strange reason they might. They are not out to sell to the major companies such as Tyson or such, but who knows. The locals only raise a few dozen animals at a time they are not big marketers.

As for the Twizzlers icky. I do not eat sweats; I get all my sweats from the soda I drink. A few (2-4) sodas a day gives me all the sugar I need, the rest comes from more complex sugars so they take longer to process. Other than that I drink spring water.

For the candles you might want to get some natural oils and either use them in the candles or do gels that will evaporate. I suggest Patchouli, Lavender, Dragons Blood, Jasmine, and Sandalwood.

Raist

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Please take my post with a granule of sodium.

I didn't intend to sidetrack your discussion. Honestly, I was trying to "inject" a little humor. (Not sarcasm.) By admitting to indulge in unhealthy food, I was attempting to relate, but failed miserably.

Please carry on with your fine discussion and don't let me drag you into the "mud."

I have no "beef" with you. Sorry, as you were. ( Thanks for the aroma enhancing tips.) I don't take things too seriously anymore in this place.

Regards...KK

[edit on 12-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I myself come here for the entertainment value. Maybe sarcasm was not the correct way to state it maybe humor would have been the better word. For me most sarcasm though is humorous as it is done in a time when discussions have turned less serious. Not saying this tax is not serious as any tax actually is.

I think many that are for such things as this proposed tax fail to realize there are plenty of unhealthy things in their lives. But in the end they are in control of what they ingest so why they bother worrying about what others ingest is beyond me. As a former smoker (I quit because of my son and the cost of the things) I can say there are plenty of unhealthy habits in many people’s lives, most chose not to see them though.

I have seen the smoker who jogs and works out. Also I have seen the large person getting the super sized meal with a small diet coke. They make us wear seat belts (which I don’t have a large problem with) but allow sky diving and bungee jumping. If I die because I am not wearing a seat belt it is no different than my jumping from a plane and ending up like a water balloon. As it is no different if I drink a soda or smoke than jumping from that same plane. Some day we are all going to die, for that I am happy because living in this hell forever would suck. It all depends on what is going to kill us.

Regardless I have no qualms with you either; I believe we were simply missing each other’s humor. On the internet that happens a lot, even more so on my own part I think.

Raist

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Here is the issue for me:

People want to see taxes such as this because, as they say, "Your poor health costs tax dollars." It is a logical arguement on the surface, however if you think slighly deeper the logic does not follow.

Consider: when you are billed by the hospital or doctor, you are billed at a premium rate. This means you are billed at a rate above what the service provider (doctor or hospital) really wants to recover for the services rendered.

Why? Because insurance companies expect to recieve a discount on services rendered. As a matter of fact, if the insurance company cannot get a discounted rate, they will delist the doctor from their coverage. So the medical field has no choice but to discount services when billing insurance.

So allow for the profit margins the medical field expects, they therefore inflate their prices so that they will net the expected amount after the insurance gets their discount.

The rub? Folks without insurance and people with government subsidized health care (Medicare/Medicaid) get bllled this higher rate as well. Of couse, the Medicare patient doesn't care because they are not paying. But the folks on "private pay" are getting hosed, as the billing amount for them is the same as the insurance company gets (if they discounted it for non-insurance, then you can see how angry the insurance companies would get, and it would lead to them dropping coverage for those service providers).

How does this relate to the OP? Well, consider that these laws are justified because of the cost to taxpayers for medical care due to poor health brought on by whatever it is they are trying to tax/control. But, if you would consider that the majority of Medicare waste comes from the overbilling situation (as well as fraud by doctors who perform needless procedures to improve revenue flow), it is easy to see that they are barking up the wrong tree.

It is a sham. They are sacrificing industries such as tobacco and soft drinks to continue to support insurance and medical.

You hear lots of things in the news all the time that just don't add up when you check the facts. one more brief example is the myth that teachers are underpaid. In Texas, the average teacher salary is about 33k a year. It goes up greatly. I work in a loan office currently, and examine the bank statements and pay stubs of teachers frequently. The least I have seen on one is a 3rd year teacher making about 3500 a month. It is a sham. All of it, a sham.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well, I'm kinda torn on what to think about this... On one hand I despise new taxes like this. On the other hand I recently was treated rather badly because I smoke cigs and thought the new tobacco tax was wrong.

I don't drink soft drinks much, and when I do someone else paid for it so an increase in taxes on them doesn't affect me at all.

It kinda makes me want to say what the anti-tobacco crowd told me:

"I don't use this product, your stupid for using it and deserve to have to pay extra taxes if you want to use this product!"

It really irratated me hearing that because I knew that more "health" taxes would quickly follow.

I won't be writing my congressman to oppose this bill or any others like it. These health nazi's and other people who like to tell others how to behave are about to see all the taxes they can imagine, and I'm going to sit back and have a great chuckle while they whine and complain about it.

First they came for the cigarretes, and you didn't care
Next they came for the soft drinks... whats next?
Whatever is next, people like the anti-tobacco crowd brought it on.
If its not healthy, tax it they say.

Once everything we enjoy is taxed into oblivion then maybe some of these people will realize that freedom of choice is better.

I don't mean to rant, and I'm not trying to call anyone out, but...

If you supported the tobacco tax, and your against this tax then sit down and hush up because you and everyone with that mindset brought this down upon yourselves. And be ready, because more taxes on the products you enjoy are on the way.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
my opinion'

Exactly where will it stop? Things are being brought in so gradually that nobody notices and they have taught people to actually like having their freedomks curtailed.

Heavy taxes on something eventually leads to that products being banned and it's all based on the group think of herd mentality.

Whats the fastest way to make people do what you want? you convince them everybody else agrees with your goal and people not wanting to seem out of touch automatically side with the most popular opinion.

I think people are generally stupid but hey thats just my opinion

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join