First Tobacco ... Now Soft Drinks ...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This is just so wrong. If they start taxing "pop" (I shall use my native word :p... Minnesotans...), why can't they tax other goods more? This is just another excuse to squeeze another penny out of us. This isn't the end, its only the beginning. If they want to tax something sugary, do it something else.

Soda is a culture in America. Coca-Cola and Pepsi arose at the turn of the 20th century and before that too. It is part of American culture. The soda jerk, soft drinks, popcorn and a soda. You can't deny it, it is built into our society, healthy or not. I couldn't give a damn whether its healthy or not.

The whole teenage society has created based off of Mtn. Dew. If soda costs more, whats going to wake up Americans? Caffeinated pop is being used more and more in the place of coffee. Taxing soda is like taxing sex or clothing. It's natural, most everyone does it. It's a ridiculously thing to tax.

People can come out and say its unhealthy, but so was smoking, and so was going out in the sun. Someday we shall be a society that shall be so afraid that we shall never even come out of our own homes. Take a little risk, stopping tramping on our parade.

Get over it and finally get something done Washington...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I don't like to get off the subject to much if i can help it but i noticed Monsanto just bought a sugar plantation in Brazil in the late of '08, wander if they where tipped off or have anything to do with it.

Link

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

They were hoping it would not happen to the pleasure derived from popping to top of a nice cold one.

Or in denial that it could not happen to them.

Personally, I think a penny an ounce is not enough, maybe a dime or two.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The tobacco tax & this proposed soda or "sugar" tax are just ploys to supply the government with a highly needed injection of funding. We're going broke, and these new taxing schemes will raise a pretty penny.

Back in high school my debate team and I had to come up with creative ways to raise a large amount of money via taxes. We decided a small toilet paper tax would be the way to go. I'll think of the government each time I use the restroom!

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Aleilius]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The Federal Liberal Party in Canada (under Stephan Dion) suggested last year that we shift away from taxing positive things like our income and health benefits paid out by employers and toward the greater taxation of petroleum, cigarettes, booze, and highly processed junk food. People went absolutely ape-sh*t. Being someone who has smoked on occasion and likes alcohol, you'd think I'd be pissed. But, what I hate the most is working and paying taxes on my hard earned cash all year long, only to find out that my employer didn't take enough of my cheques, and instead of a refund, I now owe them $1000+ I already spent. I can cut back on smoke and drink or buy kits and brew my own beer, but if I want to make my car payments, I can't stop working. I'd rather be dinged for I stuff I make a choice to buy rather than on the money that I earn.
I guess though, we could get rid of the tax on smokes and beer and just refuse health care to people who smoke or drink....

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It'd be better for then to put tax on ingridients that are bad for health. Tax high fructose corn syrup, GMO foods, MSG, sucralose, splenda, Olestra ect. The amount of hidden crap in seemingly "ok" foods is nuts. Since high fructose corn syrup has been on the market, obesity has gone up a ton.

Foods that use pesticides and herbicides should also be taxed
That'd be my dream if it were to happen, or banned.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Tax Freedom Day

I harbor very dark thoughts about politicians and taxes. I'm not going to bore anyone with them here. 'Tax Freedom Day' is the date I've been looking at for years. It's as good a signpost as any as to how far we bend over in our respective countries for the Taxman. It tells us when we've paid all our taxes and the rest of the money is ours...

In the United States, Tax Freedom Day for 2009 is April 13, for a total average effective tax rate of 28.2 percent of the nation's income. The latest that Tax Freedom Day has occurred was May 3 in 2000. In 1900, Tax Freedom Day arrived January 22, for an effective average total tax rate of 5.9 percent of the nation's income. According to the Tax Foundation, the most important factor driving changes in Tax Freedom Day from year to year is growth in incomes, as the progressive structure of the U.S. federal tax system causes taxes as a percentage of income to rise along with inflation.
Tax Freedom Day!!

Here in the UK our TFD is June 2nd
We can all touch our toes in Britain. I sometimes wonder what will happen when the TFD has crept much further past halfway. The amount of taxes people can or will pay is not finite. I think this recession will be a blip compared to what happens when we've given all we can to the Taxman without appropriate value for money or returns

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Every damn time the Democrats have control of the Government, my life gets a little harder. They start introducing all this "feel good" BS, telling people how they should live their lives. Recycle. Don't Smoke. Don't Drink. Don't Drink Pop. Don't Eat Trans Fats. "If you do any of that, we'll TAX THE CRAP OUT OF YOU!"

Simply put, something needs to be done to start limiting the power of the US Government over our lives. Remember what excessive taxes on TEA did for us? Maybe we need another Tea Party........but more fitting for modern times and circumstances!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
{quote]Also think about the fact that they're not talking about taxing aspartame which likely causes a lot more harm than sugar.

Exactly.
There’s another thread around here posting the same information.
Was put up ages ago.
I’m glad you posted it again!

I got called *squirrelly* for posting I was SURE the Government did this to force the drinking of aspartame - which if you don’t know by now kills you then it’s probably already melted your mind to such a point it doesn't’ matter.

No one believed it and scoffed loudly at the thought the Government would *do such a thing*.

Oh well.
Drink up kids.
*Cheers*...

peace

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Funny, i figured most of you would be running for the hills. (im just kidding)

I personally like the idea brought up about taxing tobacco, alchohol and junk food.

Aspartame? im pretty sure diet stuff would be taxed too.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Vyrtigo]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Let them tax Soda, Tobaco and Alcohol. I dont use them. Those products are all poison. The more they tax things I dont use the better, it keeps the taxes lower on products I do use. The NWO is taking over and Obama is here to help them squeeze the working people. Get use to it. We need an flat tax or a consumption based tax. It wont happen as long as the NWO is in charge.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
The governments of the world are all walking a very thin line.
They think that people will just pay up and cop it like we have in the past.
But the last 6 months the world and peoples attitudes to money and also taxation has totally changed.

If they aren't careful, people will totally close their purses and wallets and not buy these products with all these added taxes.
If that happens, then the financial meltdown of the last 12 months will look like a birthday party.

All we've heard since December is spend spend spend to help get us out this crisis, if not we are doomed into a recession.

Now they want to add extra tax to (soon) almost everything.

I can see people boycotting products because they will no longer be able to afford them and a lot of jobs in those industries that manufacture those products are going to be lost.

Adding extra fire to the recession.

I'm beginning to see that Politicians haven't got a CLUE about finance, human psychology or anything else.
They don't know anything about people and live in a totally different world to the rest of us.

Unless they are planning on closing down the soda business, then this tax is insanity.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Next up, an "Organic Tax".

The government has no right to anybodys money, at anytime. All public or national services should be through donation only. The government budget SHOULD BE DONATION ONLY! If the government doesn't represent what you want, then don't pay.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Not shocking they've been on this for a while now, whether we'll see it or not I don't know. If they do tax it, I bet it will be like how the British taxed tea during the American Revolution. Maybe instead of having tea parties we'll have Soda parties! I mean come on Soda is to modern Americans as Tea was to the colonists. They don't think we wont be a little upset? What are they going to come up with to tax next? Every breath we take?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
They produce products that make us sick and are addictive.
Then they add a tax on to the most addictive products that make us sick.
Then they make money pretending to fix us with doctors and Big Pharma...
It's a perfect plan. Sick addicted poor people. Not hard to control.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Im not sure if the NWO exists, and if it does, i dont think that they are in control.

Just my opinion on the whole NWO thing. I think ultimately the people will always have the power.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vyrtigo
Im not sure if the NWO exists, and if it does, i dont think that they are in control.

Just my opinion on the whole NWO thing. I think ultimately the people will always have the power.

Nice Utopian POV you have there. As far as I can see, we the people have NO power. How many millions of emails and such were sent saying we didn't want the bailout/stimulus packages to go through? What actually happened? We don't have a choice in who we vote for, it's all predetermined and doesn't matter anyway because they just lie to us so they can get their grubby hands on that cold hard cash. Or they want to be ruler of the world and tell us all how we should live our lives. How come Michelle Obama can have a organic garden and I can't? Oh, I forgot, I'm hurting big business and we CAN'T have that, can we?

That's just a start, I won't ramble all day. It just seems to me that day by day I have less say in what I can do. Ron Paul said it quite well, something to the effect "If you have to ask more often than not if you can do something, then we are not living in a free society". I'm sure I misquoted him but it's close - it's in the Freedom to Fascism movie if ya wanna go look at it.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
ever think this might be not about obesity, but about forcing people to artificial sweeteners? seems pretty obvious to me. Been a big push for that for a long time.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
www.planputnam.org...

Q:
Would a new bill in Congress make my backyard organic garden illegal?
A:
A House bill proposes to split the Food & Drug Administration, creating a separate entity to oversee food safety. It’s aimed at food sold in supermarkets and doesn’t say anything about organic gardening, pesticides, farmers’ markets or that tomato plant in your backyard.

Well, i guess you can have an organic garden.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
eventually there will be a consumer tax on everything.
then the tax will fade into history and they'll slap everything with the same tax with a different name.
it's the costly cycle of inflation,

[edit on 10-4-2009 by spearhead]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join