It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Catholic Church and Freemasonry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I just received my copy of the book, Perefectibilists: The 18th Century Bavarian Order of the Illuminati. The book was written by Terry Melanson. You can find more information about the book at this link: book

As I was reading I came to page 5 and there I read this,

Following are some important dates:

1719 Jesuits expelled from Russia

1728 Freemasons found a lodge in Madrid soon suppressed by the Inquisition

1730 Freemason Lodge in Philadelphia

1731 mass expulsions of Salzburg Protestants

1733 First German Masonic Lodge, Hamburg

1738 Papal Bull In eminenti: Against Freemasonry

the last one caught my attention so I did some searching and found the Papal Bull.

IN EMINENTI

ON FREEMASONRY

PAPAL BULL OF POPE CLEMENT XII
April 28, 1738

CLEMENT, BISHOP, Servant of the Servants of God to all the faithful, Salutation, and Apostolic Benediction.

Since the divine clemency has placed Us, Whose merits are not equal to the task, in the high watch-tower of the Apostolate with the duty of pastoral care confided to Us, We have turned Our attention, as far as it has been granted Us from on high, with unceasing care to those things through which the integrity of Orthodox Religion is kept from errors and vices by preventing their entry, and by which the dangers of disturbance in the most troubled times are repelled from the whole Catholic World.

Now it has come to Our ears, and common gossip has made clear, that certain Societies, Companies, Assemblies, Meetings, Congregations or Conventicles called in the popular tongue Liberi Muratori or Francs Massons or by other names according to the various languages, are spreading far and wide and daily growing in strength; and men of any Religion or sect, satisfied with the appearance of natural probity, are joined together, according to their laws and the statutes laid down for them, by a strict and unbreakable bond which obliges them, both by an oath upon the Holy Bible and by a host of grievous punishment, to an inviolable silence about all that they do in secret together. But it is in the nature of crime to betray itself and to show itself by its attendant clamor. Thus these aforesaid Societies or Conventicles have caused in the minds of the faithful the greatest suspicion, and all prudent and upright men have passed the same judgment on them as being depraved and perverted. For if they were not doing evil they would not have so great a hatred of the light. Indeed, this rumor has grown to such proportions that in several countries these societies have been forbidden by the civil authorities as being against the public security, and for some time past have appeared to be prudently eliminated.

Therefore, bearing in mind the great harm which is often caused by such Societies or Conventicles not only to the peace of the temporal state but also to the well-being of souls, and realizing that they do not hold by either civil or canonical sanctions; and since We are taught by the divine word that it is the part of faithful servant and of the master of the Lord's household to watch day and night lest such men as these break into the household like thieves, and like foxes seek to destroy the vineyard; in fact, to prevent the hearts of the simple being perverted, and the innocent secretly wounded by their arrows, and to block that broad road which could be opened to the uncorrected commission of sin and for the other just and reasonable motives known to Us; We therefore, having taken counsel of some of Our Venerable Brothers among the Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, and also of Our own accord and with certain knowledge and mature deliberations, with the plenitude of the Apostolic power do hereby determine and have decreed that these same Societies, Companies, Assemblies, Meetings, Congregations, or Conventicles of Liberi Muratori or Francs Massons, or whatever other name they may go by, are to be condemned and prohibited, and by Our present Constitution, valid for ever, We do condemn and prohibit them.

Wherefore We command most strictly and in virtue of holy obedience, all the faithful of whatever state, grade, condition, order, dignity or pre-eminence, whether clerical or lay, secular or regular, even those who are entitled to specific and individual mention, that none, under any pretext or for any reason, shall dare or presume to enter, propagate or support these aforesaid societies of Liberi Muratori or Francs Massons, or however else they are called, or to receive them in their houses or dwellings or to hide them, be enrolled among them, joined to them, be present with them, give power or permission for them to meet elsewhere, to help them in any way, to give them in any way advice, encouragement or support either openly or in secret, directly or indirectly, on their own or through others; nor are they to urge others or tell them, incite or persuade them to be enrolled in such societies or to be counted among their number, or to be present or to assist them in any way; but they must stay completely clear of such Societies, Companies, Assemblies, Meetings, Congregations or Conventicles, under pain of excommunication for all the above mentioned people, which is incurred by the very deed without any declaration being required, and from which no one can obtain the benefit of absolution, other than at the hour of death, except through Ourselves or the Roman Pontiff of the time.

Moreover, We desire and command that both Bishops and prelates, and other local ordinaries, as well as inquisitors for heresy, shall investigate and proceed against transgressors of whatever state, grade, condition, order dignity or pre-eminence they may be; and they are to pursue and punish them with condign penalties as being most suspect of heresy. To each and all of these We give and grant the free faculty of calling upon the aid of the secular arm, should the need arise, for investigating and proceeding against those same transgressors and for pursuing and punishing them with condign penalties.

Given at Rome, at Saint Mary Mayor, in the year 1738 of Our Lord.

Link to the document: PAPAL BULL

[edit on 9-4-2009 by tsrk30]

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Interesting thread, but I would like to hear your conclusion, or your thoughts on this matter.

It is well known that the Catholic church is against Freemasonry. I seem to be missing your point.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I am only on page 5 of the book

I found the information to be interesting and I know that there are people on ATS who are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject. I thought I would share the information and see what I can learn from the comments.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
In spite of the history and the Papal Bull, it is my understanding that the degrees of Masonry were written by the Jesuits, and when one looks at the symbols of the Vatican, it's got Masonry written all over it.

My conclusion is that the Vatican in Rome is in fact the de facto . of global freemasonry.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thank you for that information

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
In spite of the history and the Papal Bull, it is my understanding that the degrees of Masonry were written by the Jesuits, and when one looks at the symbols of the Vatican, it's got Masonry written all over it.

My conclusion is that the Vatican in Rome is in fact the de facto . of global freemasonry.

Might it be possible that Masonic symbols have some basis in Christian symbols, given that Catholicism is much older than Free Masonry? Or maybe both use symbols from older cultures? Or, even more likely, symbols have different meanings based on who is writing them?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by solusr

No...

IMHO, OmegaPoint' post, just reveiled,
one of the biggest masonic secret

for you Omegapoint

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mick1423

Ok, so assuming you are correct why do Masons deny this? Also, why does the Catholic Church speak against Masonry?

I'm also curious why you believe this, but I think that might belong in another thread...idk.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Yeah we are totally excommunicated and have been for hundreds of years.

The Catholic 'version' of Freemasonry is the Knights of Columbus.

Ask one of those guys how the Pope likes us.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Looking back it's easy to see why Masons are soooo secretive...

They were protecting themselves because their teachings were heretical (as far as the catholic church was concerned)

The catholic church killed people who's beliefs didn't mesh with their own. They were responsible for one of, if not the greatest eradication of culture and innocent indigenous peoples ever concieved

The Jews are an exclusive group of God's chosen blood... Outsiders are nothing but "human animals..." Funny that the most racist group ever is the first to cry racism when one of their own is offended

The Muslims believe that everyone should be just like them, or be blown up. They have no respect for women and in truth their greatest enemy is their oppresive leaders, not the Western world.

The christians have been divided, sub-divided and micro-divided into a million seperate sects, each having their own interpretation or point of focus within the Bible. They lie, cheat, steal, and watch Jerry Springer and American Idol, ignore their teachings and think that if they go to church every sunday (though their bible teaches the right day is saturday...?) they will be forgiven and attending church makes them better than anyone else.

Hope I offended someone

And while this post might be seen as being a bit off-topic, I find it to be at least abstractly relevant. The catholic church is being looked into, so lets look at the other judao-christian religions. My next post will be about secret societies and other cults that have anti-judeo-christian values, or so it would seem

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by solusr

Because hypocrisy, always been #1 Vatican's manipulation strategy.
If you do not understand, the machiavalian strategy, just call GWB,
he will explain it all to you

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
But why would they need to create a new enemy? There were already plenty available. There has never been a shortage of heretics to attack, especially ones with occult leanings.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by solusr]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons

Hope I offended someone

When one sets out to offend, they are unlikely to be heard, and rarely deny ignorance. Good job shutting people down.

On topic, I am facinated by this document...there is a nuiance about it...and I think it reads like fear, (sorry I can't add more than my impression.) Wonder: why do powerful religions fear a secret so deeply...is it because they know they are hidding the truth themselves?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

In spite of the history and the Papal Bull facts, it is my understanding unfounded speculation that the degrees of Masonry were written by the Jesuits, and when one looks at the symbols of the Vatican, it's got Masonry written all over it.
There. Fixed that for you.

Care to list some "symbols of the Vatican" that have "Masonry written all over them"?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Don't get too defensive now..

Obelisks, Court of the Pinecone, Isis Osiris Horus symbolism, Helliocentric symbolism to name a couple things.

Why has no one denied the originating source of the Masonic rites as having Jesuit involvement..?

And yes, of course they play both sides against the middle, it's called a controlled opposition.

What's interesting is that the Masonic inspired founding of the USofA may have been largely motivated by the desire to throw off Vatican influence and control. The Declaration of Independance isn't just about independance from the throne of England, but also the oppressive religious influence of the Roman Church.

But the church is patient and extremely cunning..

But if there is in fact a .ship of global freemasonry, it's the Pope, right after the Crown of Prince Charles, and the whole of the aristocratic nobility of Europe, for the most part answer to the Pope one way or another. And the Bankers too, even Israel is under her influence.

The light of freemasonry, it's "logos" is you will, was crafted by the Church.

Note how Masons love to show evidence of the Vatican's opposition to the Lodge/fraternity, and the way that's done, and your reaction, they just make it even MORE obvious.

Yes I think I hit a nerve.

Origins of Freemasonry
www.robertlomas.com...

And then one can look at the history of such people as Johann Adam Weishaupt, a Jesuit, and he comes in at around the same time in history.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

What's interesting is that the Masonic inspired founding of the USofA may have been largely motivated by the desire to throw off Vatican influence and control. The Declaration of Independance isn't just about independance from the throne of England, but also the oppressive religious influence of the Roman Church.

Good thing you included the qualifier 'may' in your statement. Last time I checked, the Colonists were under the direct control and influence of the British Monarchy, thus making them Protestants, there were very few pratictioners of Roman Catholosism in the pre-Revolutionary United States. How do you repress those who do not even recognize your authority? It would be nice if more people actually picked up and read a history book on occasion.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Why has no one denied the originating source of the Masonic rites as having Jesuit involvement..?

There are no scholars of history who would promote that idea.

Simply put, modern Freemasonry evolved from freethinkers and Deists, and is a product of the Enlightenment, which was decisively anti-Catholic (and even anti-Protestant at points). Freemasonry denies the divine exclusivity of the Roman Church, so it's not surprising that the Roman Church considers Freemasonry an enemy.

The modern Masonic rites, instead of being Jesuit in origin, are actually Hermetic and Qabalistic, both being philosophies considered heretical by Jesuits.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If you take the position that the Roman Empire never really ended, but simply morphed into the Roman Catholic Church, with senators becoming cardinals, then how does history square with that? And in so many areas of history resides the hidden hand of the Jesuits, the military arm of the RCC. So to suggest that masonry is free from it, is I think absurd.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

If you take the position that the Roman Empire never really ended, but simply morphed into the Roman Catholic Church, with senators becoming cardinals, then how does history square with that?

I don't think it has anything to do with the subject being discussed, namely Freemasons and jesuits.

And in so many areas of history resides the hidden hand of the Jesuits, the military arm of the RCC. So to suggest that masonry is free from it, is I think absurd.

I think the opposite is absurd. For example, the Jesuits are not now, nor have they ever been, a "military" arm or order. Secondly, they were created for the purpose of helping lead the Counter-Reformation in 1534 on the Continent, Freemasonry already having been established on the British Isles for centuries.

As has been mentioned, Freemasonry denies the spiritual exclusivity of the Roman Catholic Church, which is the exact opposite opinion of the Jesuits, as well as other orders of clerks regular within the church.

One cannot be both a member of the Freemasons and the Society of Jesus. The Roman Catholic Church forbids its members from joining Masonic (and non-Masonic) Lodges.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well the Pope in Rome is the keeper of the secrets of all the ancient mystery schools.

Just because the RCC outwardly and officially restricts churchgoers from being Masons, does automatically mean that the Vatican is not intimately involved in the entire system of global Freemasonry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join