It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What might an ET race make of us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Consider the human race from an objective perspective. Assuming that the Earth is a living organism itself, then in order for it to stay healthy every creature on it must have either a positive or neutral effect on it . We as humans, advanced though we believe ourselves to be, have only a negative impact. If the Earth is a living organism then we are a disease. When any creature contracts a disease, one of two possible outcomes can occur. The host will either fight the disease off, or die. For us this means that in order to survive we must either stop attacking our planet or we will have to leave her behind (or die with her!). And nobody knows how many, if any suitable alternatives exist. One might assume that there are a great many billions, but whether any of them are close enough to be of any use to us and whether we will ever become technologically advanced enough to ever take advantage of any of them is pure conjecture. Any race advanced enough to be capable of FTL travel may be billions of years older than us and view us as a glitch in the development of life in our solar system that could very well see the end of it.

From the other side however, they may have long ago reached this crucial 'tipping point' themselves and seek to help us through it. This said I personally believe that the former is a more likely scenario and that any race capable of mastering interstellar, intergalactic or indeed interuniversal (have I just coined a new phrase?!) travel could not possibly have been as warlike as ourselves without at some point self destructing.

As a result of this I would imagine most if not all truly advanced civilisations would view us as little more than an intermediary species, interesting to study but greatly less successful in survival terms than pretty much every other creature ever to have evolved.

To quote a comment from another user that I read recently on ATS,

'If I was in the garden and saw a mosquito buzzing around me, my first instinct would not be to exchange technology with it.'

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
More than likely fertilizer.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
thanks for your input. no, really.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
They would most likely view us like animals the same ways in which we view our pets and other animals because of the stupid things that we do.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Quite possibly, but would they see us as cattle? Would they see us as some intermediary phase of advanced evolution? Would they treat us as equals? or even view us as a threat of sorts? mybe because of our aggressive nature, or as a result of a very different perception of such basic constants that we take for granted such as time.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

also worth a look in a kind of background detail sort of a way!!!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
anybody else have an opinion on this? I'm interested to know what people think :-)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
A bunch of fat pedophiles who like dip
www.cracked.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I think aliens are just that alien. They would think in ways that we could not even fathom. Or their emotions (if they have any) could also be so different that we would just not understand. But for the sake of the thread using my human brain lol we are just another form of life on another planet with a biosphere in the universe to be observed and learned about, depending on how rare or common our type of life is in the universe.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by superdebz

i didnt relly get that at first and thought it was spam, then I red the link. hilarious, and sadly very true!!!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
personally i think a E.T
would be very very similar to us.

for a few reason.

every body part we have is for a reason.

appendix ok we can loose it now...but it was once important lol

every animal on our planter share almost same feature's.

eye's ears 4 limb's..ect.ect.

and for some reason mankind is more advanced than other life on this planet.
for a reason.
gene's.. we are the ultimate virus. kinda deal. or germ so to say.

E.T would be the top notch of there planet.
there for roughly in the same boat we are.

There animal's will probably be the same or very very similar to our's.
accept the fact..
let's say a asteroid never hit there planet..
and dinosaur's still walk there.
it's very possible all life oxygen based will be the same.

and if we see a E.T they will be oxygen based life form's.

would we send a human to walk on mar's and site see if we saw people there if there was no oxygen?
nope we would send a video tape or something lol

so if they do visit visit us...they will look very very similar.
or exactly like us.
maybe a different color like green or red...what every there habitat or gene say's to be for there environment i suppose.

man i am a bs artist today lol

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It honestly depends upon what type of alien we are discussing. Are we talking interplanetary/intersystem-capable humanoids (very similar to StarTrek, Halo, Mass Effect, and similar concepts)?

If we are - we can assume they are hyper-social predators, much like ourselves. Their biology would have roots in competition with other native species for access to resources. The kinematics of a humanoid are the ultimate in the evolution of a predator - the long limbs allow for strikes, jabs, sweeps, and rapid recovery/adjustment of posture while the digits (fingers) allow for grappling - allowing us to manipulate the anatomy of our prey/aggressor. Almost any part of the humanoid body can be turned into a weapon - crotches (of joints) can be used as the focal points for clamps; fingers/digits used to apply very precise 'sharp' force, etc.

Compared to any other anatomical construct - the humanoid anatomy is incredibly efficient for a predator, and opens up the ability to manipulate the universe in a way that other anatomies find difficult.

Assuming competition with other species fueled their biological development, and they share a similar anatomy, it is very likely that their "thought" would be rather similar, as well. Recent studies into behavior, anatomy, neurology, etc have demonstrated a link between anatomy, thought, social behavior, and communication.

Now - it's highly likely that any form of life that is capable of technological development is a predator. Why? Predators are the only animals to develop the senses keen enough to coordinate with others in its species (pack hunting) as well as analyze its prey to strike at vital points. Assuming this holds true in other ecosystems (perhaps a big assumption), we would expect the majority of species having the ability to observe the world in enough detail to develop various forms of technology would have their biological roots as a predatory species.

Their drive for competition with other species would compel them to develop tools and develop socially. They have the ability to manipulate the world around them, and the ability to observe how their efforts play out. After beating out threats from most other species - they would be left with each other to compete with. Their predatory and social natures would collide in the spectacular chaos it does in our own society.

Assuming they don't blow themselves up (rather unlikely) - they would eventually move away from their planet. I would expect them to have conflicts between the social and predatory natures, just as we likely will for a very, very long time.

Now... for something that is completely alien.... God only knows. You can't really cover all of the possibilities.

That said - were an alien species to observe us - they could have a number of different reactions.

I, for one, find it rather amusing that we accept our own existence so readily - yet find it so difficult (as a whole) to entertain; much less accept; the notion that there are other cultures out there that are capable of traveling distances we cannot even fathom, and fly around our airspace.

It contests our arrogance as a species. Just about everything on this planet takes note of us - fleeing or contesting our mere presence. And here some critter from the cosmos has the audacity to fly around our air space as if we are inconsequential!? It's a rather insulting notion.

That said - we are still highly competitive, adaptive, and quite intelligent. We use bacteria to produce many things, and they are getting a growing amount of attention for industrial applications. Perhaps our tendencies are being utilized by an alien species to develop technologies in ways that are alien to their own experience.

An alien species that has not fought a war in generations would potentially have difficulty developing applied defenses and weapons.

We fight each other all the time, and (in all irony) place value on life - we're constantly developing ways to kill/neutralize a target while sparing our own lives, and 'fixing' those that get damaged. We do it very quickly, and as a matter of survival.

Perhaps much like we utilize the behavior of a bacterial colony to produce hydrogen or special bio-medical compounds - our tendencies are utilized by other species for the development of technology.

We may not place much value on our intellect or technology because we cannot visit other planets on a whim (like these things seemingly can) - but we often lose sight of such big-picture elements. Bio-medical companies from western worlds will send people deep into various rain forests to consult with local tribes and observe their medical practices. They return with samples of various fauna and things used in a healing ceremony (when possible) to figure out how the consumption/application of those ingredients work to treat a problem.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This what I have come to calculate intuitively. My intuition has hardly ever failed me -- it's my best trait. Some of them view us as spiritual beings on a journey towards higher consciousness. These types send us warning signs and want us to preserve the environment and planet. Others on the other hand, view us the same way we view mold spores on bread; like fungus contaminating a host. These types are unethical, manipulative, self-serving power mongers. They are the George Bush's and David Rockefeller's of the universe, and their goal is to dominate and control as many planets and civilizations as possible.

We are being actively visited by both. And In both cases, to them, we are fish swimming in the water obliviously. Like fish in water, we're getting observed very closely by the marine biologists on boats. Sometimes, the marine biologists can stick their hands through the water and interact with the fish, but the fish won't know what they're seeing. This is the case with us and "aliens"; we just don't have the perceptual ability to detect them... yet. They are more evolved, and are not limited to our physical 3D universe... they're extradimensional.

Awhile ago, I would've laughed at this if I read it somewhere. I would've been scared to share it with anyone in fear of sounding crazy. Slowly but surely, I'm coming to realize that this is a very, very real phenomenon.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by digdeep

what a screwed up sentient species; amazing...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by digdeep

ok so last night I had one of the most vivid nightmares.I saw a huge UFO with what looked like a reptilian and it was shining a beam at me.today I was at starbucks and overheard someone describing the same dream I had last night. Did anyone else experience this last night?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'll be completely honest:

If I were an advanced ET race, I would stay the hell out of here.
We are a mixed bag... I would wait until something really bad was about to happen until stepping in...

Sorry...

And I am dying for disclosure - believe me. But like I said, the reality is that we are still basically animals...
Religion, money, material objects and the images we hold up all screw us up big time, but that is just my honest opinion...

I'd be scared to mess with us.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hmm, We could make oil from them>

If I were a benevolent alien species, I would pity us. Perhaps offer help from a safe distance. The minute I detected any hostility towards my species, I would leave well enough alone.
If I were a malevolent alien species, I would se a veritable treasure chest of resources and labor and would pillage accordingly. Sort of like the Deceptions of 1980's TV. Anyone that did not capitulate would become a grease stain on my foot plate.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by digdeep
What might an ET race make of us?

Hmmm, a nice fricassee, perhaps?

Or maybe a casserole. Might be good.

new topics

top topics

join