It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA 'no longer' using secret prisons: director

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

CIA 'no longer' using secret prisons: director

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The CIA is "no longer" operating secret prisons used by the intelligence agency to interrogate terror suspects, and plans to shut all remaining "black sites," the spy agency's director said Thursday.

The statement by the Central Intelligence Agency chief confirmed the spy service was carrying out an order from President Barack Obama to shut down the secret prisons that have been condemned at home and abroad as a flagrant violation of human rights.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.reuters.com

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So the CIA(Cocaine Into America) is no longer using secret prisons? So what does that mean, it's tranfering ownership or admin powers to another entity?

I mean if it's really happening then that's great, but the article is awfully vague and incomplete.

Panetta said the CIA would continue to question suspects as necessary. But he said it would use "a dialog style of questioning that is fully consistent with the interrogation approaches authorized and listed in the Army Field Manual," which bans harsh techniques.

"CIA officers do not tolerate, and will continue to promptly report, any inappropriate behavior or allegations of abuse. That holds true whether a suspect is in the custody of an American partner or a foreign liaison service," he said.

Furthermore, he said, "no CIA contractors will conduct interrogations."

uk.reuters.com...

This is great news of course
But how about a list of those "unidentified countries?"

I don't want to be cynical, just realistic.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It means they no longer have to.

They now have cleared civilian defense contractor corporations to perform the same function while absolving them of any liability. It has the added benefit of creating more jobs for 'former' CIA personnel, and makes a mint for the defense industry (military industrial complex) and can be equally contracted out to foreign nations with which our government doesn't want to be seen cooperating.

Oops, sorry - was that too cynical?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Just another item to add to the long list of things the CIA said they were supposedly "no longer" doing:

1. Posing agents as journalists.

A controversial loophole permitting CIA officers in extraordinary circumstances to recruit American journalists as agents or use news-gathering organizations as cover also allows the agency to waive a similar 19-year-old ban on employing clerics or missionaries for clandestine work overseas, according to intelligence officials.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

2. Assassinating foreign citizens.

At least 30 people have been killed and many others injured in a suspected US missile strike on Pakistan's tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.

While Washington claims that the strikes have been directed at militants, it has killed scores of civilians in missile attacks, sparking national outrage.

On Saturday, a US drone fired two missiles at a house in Ladha area of South Waziristan, killing more than 32 people.

www.nytimes.com...

3. Supporting terrorist groups:

The Iranian Intelligence Ministry busted a CIA-backed terror group that was planning to bomb scientific, educational, and religious centers, and carry out assassinations, according to a report in the Tehran Times. The arrests come weeks after Ret. Gen. Thomas McInerney urged the U.S. to carry out terror bombings in Iran.

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The CIA can just pay other people under the table to do it for them now.

Sorry, I dont believe that our government will ever stop violating human rights. We have been doing so since the first world war.

Edit: I'd like to add though, good find on the article. Star and Flag.

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

What about prison ships in international waters? Nothing on those huh?

Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm going to say ... BULL. (to what is said in the article, not to the poster)

OF COUSE we are still going to have secret prisons and secret interogations. The whole point is that it is SECRET. You aren't going to know about it and you won't know how it's done. Heck .. they'll probably keep it secret from Obama and his temporary work force that's in DC.

The people that run these things stick around a lot longer then an 'elected POTUS' who is out of work every 4 years or so.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just more mumble jumble so the world can love us better.

No need for prisons because once information is received, the enemy combatant or whatever they call them nowadays will be killed.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It says the CIA are no longer using them but it does not say that the US government has stopped using them. They could easily have just transferred control to a different department or they could simply be lying to us. I do not believe that they will have given up on them completely. After all they denied MK Ultra for years before admitting that the rumours were true when they were forced to. I have no reason to believe that they are more truthful now than they were then.

Also I thought that CIA stood for Cocaine Importing Agency

-Cauch1

new topics

top topics

join