It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friendly 'Death Star' Laser to Recreate Sun's Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Friendly 'Death Star' Laser to Recreate Sun's Power

news.yahoo.com

Lasers have usually represented weapons of mass destruction in movies such as "Star Wars," but a newly completed facility has begun harnessing lasers to create a fusion reaction rivaling the power of a miniature sun.

The National Ignition Facility has already test-fired all 192 giant lasers at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California as part of this effort. The lasers will eventually focus their power on compressing and heating a single, pea-sized fuel capsule to more than 180 million degrees Fahrenheit in order to trigger thermonuclear fusion.

"One of the major activities of the NIF is to explore the basics of fusion energy, building a miniature sun on Earth that could supply limitless, safe and carbon-free energy," said Ed Moses, National Ignition Facility (NIF) program director.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Unlike nuclear fission reactions that split apart atoms inside existing power plants, fusion reactions create energy from atoms fusing together to form heavier atoms. The reaction normally only takes place within intensely hot environments, such as the heart of a star, but researchers have attempted to recreate fusion in a way that would produce more energy than it takes to start the reaction.

Just 150 micrograms of deuterium and tritium, or less than one-millionth of a pound, can serve as the fuel for the NIF experiment. But containing the high-temperature plasma from a fusion reaction represents a special challenge — temperatures of 180 million degrees F and up would melt any known substance, apparently including the metallic arms of Spiderman villain 'Doc Ock' in his fictional fusion experiment from "Spiderman 2."

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
"Friendly" my fanny. I guess they have what they need to ignite Jupiter now. And what I mean by "they" is the Illuminati.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Your having a chin bath right? :lol;

How on earth do you ignite a planet (which clearly does not have the mass to sustain the fusion reactions) with a laser from Earth?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i just found the article's title really weird.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"Friendly"..., how long do you think it took them to come up with that word to apply it to this "ignition" facility?

It seems like stereotypical wordsmithing... the kind that MBS's get paid oodles of cash for...

Why must they apply 'marketing' to everything they do? I suppose we can't handle the truth...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
"They" have probably already done it, and that likely is decades-old news, truth be known. I dare to suspect that one of the extremely bright "Venus" stars which hang out in the western evening sky long after Venus should have stopped reflecting sunlight (and these bright "stars" appear in various locations in the sky, which a planet would not alternate every night) is actually a death-star-like station (of off-world origin), fully capable of destroying any trace of life on this planet, if not the planet itself.

Perhaps the operation introduced in the OP is actually an attempted counter-measure, for "they" surely know what is and what is not orbiting our earth. And it troubles "them".

Is this speculation? It is, indeed. Yet, I have my reasons.

new topics

top topics

join