It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police chief fired for using taser on wife

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Police chief fired for using taser on wife

rawstory.com

“The chief of a small Central Texas town’s police department has been fired and jailed for allegedly using a Taser gun on his wife after an argument. Former Oakwood police chief Oly Ivy is in Leon County Jail in Centerville on Wednesday, charged with aggravated assault. Bond is $100,000,” reports The Associated Press.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-4-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't know what's more disturbing about this, the fact that this ELECTROCUTION device was used on a spouse, or the fact that this guy achieved the CHIEF OF POLICE position on the L.E. ladder.

The more stories I hear like this, the more I am convinced that this "compliance toy" needs to be taken out of L.E.'s hands altogether. There have been just WAY too many horror and abuse stories surrounding these devices in recent time to even count...

Ugh.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
I don't know what's more disturbing about this, the fact that this ELECTROCUTION device was used on a spouse, or the fact that this guy achieved the CHIEF OF POLICE position on the L.E. ladder.

Well said

While I do condone the use of tasers as a last resort by trained proffesionals in appropriate situations...I totally disagree with the use of it on his spouse. Good to see the appropriate action was taken against him though

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well the truth is he could have shot her instead. So I guess the taser did its job, and kept her from getting shot. When relationships go bad people loose control. I am not condoing what he did but it could have been much worse.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
Well the truth is he could have shot her instead. So I guess the taser did its job, and kept her from getting shot. When relationships go bad people loose control. I am not condoing what he did but it could have been much worse.

Totally agree with you. Let's not blame the taser for this. Had the guy not had a taser he might have drawn a sidearm or a knife and killed his wife. It can be argued that the fact that he had a TASER and used it and not something else is the only reason his wife is still alive.

Instead of condemning the taser, you ought to be praising it for not being designed as a lethal weapon. But no, you have to look at the glass as half-empty in this case don't you? Makes for a much better material in your rant against tasers.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
that will teach her to back talk.

Just kidding. He should be more worried about what she is going to do to get him back.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Jeez, if they use it on their wives willy nilly, no wonder it seems that they have no problem using it on strangers when on the job. Do cops have a taser fetish or something?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
To me this is more proof that they think the taser is a toy to be used in any situation. Someone doesn't want to fully cooperate? Taser 'em. Wife doesn't want to listen to your opinion? Taser her.

If they can't be properly trained on when to use them, then they need to be taken away.

reply to post by sos37

Hardly... so you are advocating murder now? He had no justification for the taser, so he certainly had none for a firearm.

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thankfully she wasn't one of the unlucky ones that die from being tased, and
to her mother for having the sense to call in the sheriff's to get this abusive leo off the force.

I hope they're going to take a look into his record and see if there are any allegations of past police brutality, or excessive, or unwarranted use of a taser against citizens.

If he is guilty i hope they give him the maxium sentence. LEO's should be held to a higher standard since they voluntarily took the job of upholding and enforcing the law. All too often officers get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if anything at all, when they break the laws that they are supposed to uphold.

One thing though (i am in no way condoning what he did) i wonder if this happened because he couldn't deal with the stress of being the only LEO to keep the peace for 500 people. I can't imagine being responsible for the safety of 500 people, he must have been under a lot of stress, basically on call 24/7, let's say he got three calls at the same time, how did he decide which one to go to first.

Again i'm in no way saying that what he did was right, i'm just saying that maybe the town officials played a part by giving him too much for one man to handle.

That being said, i really do think they should put a hold on the use of tasers at least until they can get it through leo's heads that it is not a toy.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

Totally agree with you. Let's not blame the taser for this. Had the guy not had a taser he might have drawn a sidearm or a knife and killed his wife. It can be argued that the fact that he had a TASER and used it and not something else is the only reason his wife is still alive.

It can also be argued that he would have never killed his wife under any circumstances, which is why he used the taser, and had he not had the taser he would have stopped at hitting her. Most leo's do not think of the taser as possibly being lethal, and therefore use it more freely than they should.

I'm not blaming the taser for this incident, but rather the man who commited the act, and the mindset among leo's that this weapon does not have the capability of being as deadly as it really is.

new topics

top topics

join