It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Leadership Hammers Obama Over Policies They Support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

GOP Leadership Hammers Obama Over Policies They Support

www.huffingtonpost.com

Some progressive House Democrats were quoted criticizing President Obama's approach to Afghanistan and Iraq on Thursday, and perhaps not surprisingly, Republicans in Congress jumped all over it.

"Folks -- just wanted to make sure you didn't miss this story in this morning's Wall Street Journal," wrote a GOP leadership aide in a morning email blast to reporters. The aide highlighted what is by far the most damning quote: Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) calling Obama's war plan "embarrassingly naïve."

It would make for a sharp political attack if it weren't for the fact that GOP leadership in the House actually supports Obama's plans. Take for example, this quote from Minority Leader John Boehner just two weeks ago:

"The challenge of bringing stability to Afghanistan is enormously complex, but our efforts to defeat Al Qaeda and the Taliban are vital to the security of the American people. I support the strategy the President unveiled today because it reflects the advice of our commanders on the ground. I hope he will continue to honor their counsel because we should not allow political considerations here at home to trump the importance of achieving success in the region. Moving forward, we must ensure this strategy is implemented in a manner that is both flexible and reflective of the situation on the ground, and we must aggressively monitor its progress."

Or how about this one from Minority Whip Eric Cantor, who wrote in the Washington Times yesterday: "The GOP has the obligation to be the honest opposition. When we believe the president is correct -- for example, in his handling of Iraq policy -- we will stand with him."

Then there is the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, John McCain, who has endorsed the approach the administration has taken to both Iraq and Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Ya almost have to feel sorry for these guys... excuse me while I wipe away my crocodile tears... or are they tears of laughter instead.

I mean even in its darkest days the Democrats weren't as lost and clueless as these buffoons... they just twist in the breeze almost begging the voters to put them out of their misery the next election cycle...

... and ya know if they keep up like they are... we might have to put congressional Republicans on the endangered species list... they'd better start supporting that act just in case they need its protection.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-4-2009 by grover]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is merely a reflection, in my opinion, of the reality that partisanship is an illusion.

The 'party' line is painfully consistent. The pro-wrestling like atmosphere in party politics is an insult to thinking Americans everywhere.

Perhaps the day will come when someone can expose the 'single' controlling ideology of the career politicians and their 'Federal" ambitions. Until then, at least I am doomed to remain in the realm of the 'fringe' who find themselves continually reminding people, there is no such thing as a TWO part system in the US anymore.

Whenever a true 'second' party emerges into the playing field, it is derided as "THIRD" party and a waste of your vote.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There are differences between the parties but they are slight...

I like to say that there is one party in the United States with two wings... one slightly left of center and the other slightly right of center and that the big difference between them is how many crumbs to toss the rubes... the left wants to give them more and the right, less.

Still they all lie but I prefer the Democratic parties lies over the Republican ones.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

I like to say that there is one party in the United States with two wings... one slightly left of center and the other slightly right of center and that the big difference between them is how many crumbs to toss the rubes... the left wants to give them more and the right, less.

I think it's more like one is right of center and the other is extremely right of center.

Politics in this country have moved aggressively to the right since Eisenhower. The majority isn't even in the center anymore.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
This is merely a reflection, in my opinion, of the reality that partisanship is an illusion.

Sorry it's not that deep.

It's actually only a reflection that people want to be right, even if they are railing against what they supported yesterday.

This is a human problem that has existed since the beginning of time... it's got nothing to do with some sort of illusion of partisanship.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
And what the hell is their solution?

I'm really interested to know how they think they can solve Afghanistan...

Turning tail and haul out of there?
Carpet bomb Pakistan into submission?

Christ, why do these people only have short-term memory?

Russia couldn't solve Afghanistan in 9 years and they played far dirtier than America is ever going to. Not to mention having a lot more boots on the ground than we currently do.

You can't expect Obama after 100 days to have this worked out. These guys are such partisan hacks.

Even if Obama somehow miraculously solved the Afghanistan crisis they'd chastise him for not doing it sooner.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

new topics

top topics

join