8 Reasons Why I DOn't Believe In God

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
"They know the truth about God because God has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see His invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God." - Romans 1:19,20

Yes - I'm starting this post as I did my previous post. The reason being, that unless we can see the OBVIOUS things that are proof of God's existence, as mentioned in this scripture, then we won't be able to see anything else. God knows it is difficult for His creation - Man - to believe in someone they can't physically see and that is why He provided us with the evidence that He does exist in His creation of the universe and everything around us. The solar system is called a "system" because it is in perfect balance. It is not a random thing. It is a "system". If you take a handful of pennies and throw them in the air then what will happen. Will they land to form a picture or a word? More than likey, not. But rather, they will probably spread all over the floor and make a big mess. So it is with all that rock floating in space. What are the chances of some rocks suddenly stopping in their flight paths from a big bang or explosion in space - which is the basis of belief for the non-creation believing scientists - and forming a perfect system capable of supporting life - with the sun as it's power source. And what are the chances of these rocks - on their own - orbiting around each other in perfect harmony so as not to bump into each other. And what are the chances of the sun and the moon appearing exactly opposite each other to give us day and night. And isn't it interesting that both the sun and moon BOTH provide us with light. How clever God is to provide us with light even at night by having light from the sun reflect off of the moon. And what a good God we have to allow us to see the wonders of the universe by reflecting the light of the sun off of the stars so that they can be seen at night when we look up - or when look at the galaxies through telescopes. Don't try to figure out why God does things the way He does them. Don't try to figure out how He thinks. It is impossible to for us to know any of these things because we don't have the mind of God. Our minds are finite and God is infinite. Most choose to say no to God and then find fault with Christians to justify their own rejecting of the truth. But when we stand before God and the books are opened as it tells us in in Revelation; the determining factor of whether our names are written in the Book of Life or not, is determined by what WE believed or didn't believe and whether WE truly accepted it or not - not by what others said or did. Each one of us is responsible for our own actions and decisions and we won't be able to blame others on that day. Each one of us makes our own choices. We must take God at His word and believe what is written about Jesus Christ. We must believe that He is truly the Son of God and that He died and suffered and paid the price for our sins so that we don't have to suffer. He suffered for us. God can only forgive us through the blood of His only begotten Son. He is the only Way. He is the Truth and He is the Life.

I know that most of you will not accept this. But I hope that there are at least a few who choose to believe. I believe that if George Carlin were given the chance to come back and take back everything he said in that video so that he wouldn't have to suffer now then I know he would. But it is too later for him now. It's not too late for you though. I used to be a huge fan of George Carlin but he misled alot of people. I hope you don't make the same choice he made.

So here are 101 reasons why you should BELIEVE in God.

www.raptureforums.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
The number one reason you shouldn't believe in "God" is still because the word and the concept have no clear meaning. Nobody can even define it. How can you be expected to believe in something no one can even define or understand?

That would be like asking you to believe in...
Do you believe in...

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Nohup]

Yeah...you pretty much summed it up.

What the OP has said will counter act what many will reply with, just because of a different perception of "religion".

I wouldn't say I do or do not believe in "God"...but it is certainly not a certain god from any select religion.

In the end, I still agree with the OPs concepts. Organized religion is a joke for the reasons he listed. And as you said, the definition of god will never clearly be set universally.

The title should say that "8 Reasons Why I don't follow main stream religion". To deny ANY sort of god is unarguable IMO, but on the other hand, your points go very well with religions such as Christianity, Islam, ancient religions, etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Ok i look at it this way and it's reseasonable.

If you or any man can produce definative proof to why everything in the entire universe came from no where.

How entire galaxy's humans dog's cat's ANYTHING..came to be from nothing.
I might agree a god did not make us.

I Do not agree with all the god theory's out there..i kinda hold to my own beilif sytem wich id rather not say.

But We humans think we got everything figured out..But we are dumb as a rock.
We can say with science..We Evolve from monkey's lol
But we can't even proove for 100% certainty we was not made.

Can you honestly imagine...by pure luck.. ONCE there was nothing a void....Then BANG............. it was such a powerfull blast it made everything in existance.....
Right there science say's NOTHING made SOMETHING.

You have to allways have a source.
And science can not even come close to saying..a god does not exist.

But i guess your right..luck made our moon and sun the exact distance so we can survive.
And luck made tree's so we can breath.
And luck put fuit and animal's for us to eat.

and luck made all the above plus everything in existance..by pure luck....
Not even a addicted gambler would take that bet my friend.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
We believe in evolution and yet cannot accept the premise of; "survival of the fittest." All happenstance can fall into this category of; the strongest shall survive. Perhaps this is the intent of the Gods? They need not intervene in this evolutionary plan. Let man take his course, and maybe some will 'KNOW."

Survival of the fittest does not aptly describe evolution, Darwin didn't come up with that phrase, I believe it was a reported remarking on Darwin's Book. It has been replaced since then by another, far better summation. "Survival of the most adaptable."

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by AlexG141989

Do I think A God Can Exist? – Yes of course I do, completely abandoning the idea wouldn’t be very smart on my part.

You are an Agnostic not an Atheist if that is the answer you are searching for?

Atheism is a religion. It is a belief that no God exists and there is not a Creator. When a person claims that it is the same as claiming to have all knowledge of everything in the Universe(s). Since no person can possibly know that, an Atheist belief is based on Faith that there is no God or Creator.

No to the agnostic part, and no to claiming to have all the knowledge in the universe(s).
Lasheic said it best (www.abovetopsecret.com...) Not all atheists are completely unreasonable and say that no amount of evidence will make them believe.

Many Agnostics identify themselves as Atheist's but when asked if they can prove their is no God or Creator they say no. If asked if they have all knowledge, they say no. That means they are in fact basing their Atheism on faith. Hence, Atheism is a religion.

A lack of belief in something is not a religion, even if the something is widely believed.
Many agnostics say you can't prove god is real or not. Some say it is impossible to know that knowledge.

It reminds of Liberals who call themselves Liberal when in fact they are not. If you want to force others to believe as you believe, you can not be Liberal. It is just a strange play of words.

Many "Liberals" do this because the most-widely-as-seen-as-liberal party is the Democrats, and those people have at least some views in common with the party.

85% or more of us believe in a Creator. Very few who do ever do anything wrong to others or do anything to hurt them. Yet they are persecuted by people who blame them for the acts of a few who were never people of Faith in the first place. Blaming an entire class of people for the actions of a tiny number of people who falsely claim to be one of them is dishonest to say the least.

This is sadly true. Many atheists will think of a how a Christian/Muslim/whatever religion with a creator will act, and base their accusations on how they feel.

I think in many cases the radical Atheists were abused by somebody who falsely claimed to be a Christian and for some reason they assume real Christians are like the person who abused them.

Well, let's look at the definition of Christian, shall we?
"one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus; one who lives according to the teachings of Jesus" (from American Heritage Dictionary)
Of course, definitions aren't always right, but everyone who claims to be a Christian and isn't lying about it adheres to this definition. Notice it says "or", not and.

This country was in fact founded on principals that came from the Judeo-Christian Faiths. To say otherwise means you need to study history. Read the words and writings of the Founders. They had no intention of eliminating Religion in fact they risked their own lives so they could practice their own faith without persecution.

These supposed "prinicipals" are not unique to Judeo-Christian beliefs (though I'm sure most of the influence came from those beliefs).

The Constitution says the Government may not interfere with Religion or force people to belong to a particular State Sponsored Church. For some reason some Atheists like to lie about that when it suits there cause. What they are really saying is they want to control me and force their beliefs on me which is what our Founders risked their lives to escape.

What? I can almost guarantee you that these people would not force their beliefs if you did not do the same (if you try to change laws so people must do something or is not allowed to do something, that is forcing your beliefs. If you don't do this, then explain how atheists ARE)

They want people who believe Abortion is Murder to say go ahead and kill your children its just alright with us.

Again, what? Have you really heard people say you should kill your children?
I think their saying more of "If you think abortion is wrong, DON'T HAVE ONE." You know, to counteract you pushing your beliefs on others.
I'm sure many of these people aren't pro-death in that sense, they are pro-choice. (though I could be wrong)

te me for my beliefs.
Why don''t we do what our Founders intended and let each other live our own lives and not dictate to one another. I won't try and force you to adopt my beliefs and you do the same. I don't hate you because you don't believe and I think the world would be better if you did not ha
I agree.

No real Christian has ever harmed another in the practice of their Faith. Real Christians are in fact just as angry at the phony Christians as you are. You need to separate these phonies in your thinking. We are hurt just as badly and maybe even worse than you are by these fakes.

There are definitely fundamentalists in this world, aka anyone who forces something into other people's ears. These people can definitely be "christian", muslim, jewish, atheist, agnostic, etc.
These people are the real problem of this world, not the moderates, like I suppose you are.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

An outstanding post. But be prepared to be attacked by the good christians.
Anytime someone forces them to look into the face of their own fantasies they will howl
like screech monkeys until they aren't frightened anymore.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
OK IMO( as I said, this is mostly just opinionated convo)

A-- I/WE could be wrong, we don't know who is right.
B--As I said earlier, I see both randomness AND Design in LOTS of things in the universe. I see how it could go either way, I'm just not convinced of either, although I see more randomness than design.

Ok yes it could have been luck that we are here. I said it wasn't likely to happen, meaning it doesn't happen often, very very rare. But an addicted gambler would bet on anything given he has trillions of tries for it to take place IMO

Terrorists? yes, the idea has an origin, however reliable.
Yes, the idea that eating hearts blah blah has an origin.
Everything we perceive in life came from something, or some event, or w/e. Even faith, even if the source is yourself. There could be many reasons(origins) for what people believe, however simple or complex.

And speaking of sources, what is God's source. Something can't come from nothing, right? Unless that something was already there, but what is "there"? Where did it come from? I will never be able to concept the possibility of no time, all existing at an instant, past present and future. How do you speak to God when you meet him if there is no time? Instant understanding of all things, and instant transformation?. I know I'm not supposed to understand, but that's the point. If I don't understand, for the most part, I can't believe, but thats just me.

The idea of God can be many things, and we are not supposed to know. We believe what we believe for what ever reasons.

Man came from monkey! Nope, man came from dust! I got a 50/50 shot at least.

O yea, how does an all-knowing God not know how to make a suitable animal helper for Adam? He knows the future, how do you screw that up? just a thought...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by flyindevil

Well, let's look at the definition of Christian, shall we? "one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus; one who lives according to the teachings of Jesus" (from American Heritage Dictionary) Of course, definitions aren't always right, but everyone who claims to be a Christian and isn't lying about it adheres to this definition. Notice it says "or", not and.

It's funny, but the one man who (I think) most exemplified Christ's teachings in the last century wasn't even a Christian. He was a Hindu. Gandhi took many of Christ's teaching to heart at an early age, after being moved by the bible's depiction of the Sermon on the Mount.

He was also quoted as saying (not verbatim) "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians".

Considering how he lived his live, how he practiced what he preached, I think the above quote is quite telling.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Welfhard, thank you for that 'full segment' of the late, Great George Carlin!!!

It is absolutely imperative that BS be spotted, whenever and wherever it manifests.....

Great job.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Karrotz

Yes but Karrotz, it doesnt mean those particluar beliefs such as getting virgins when you are martyrd, or you are a stronger warrior by eating a heart are originating from God. I'm beyond confident they originated from Man. Those beliefs I listed are as much from God as Paris Hilton hair colour...man-made.

Humanity needs to take responsibilty for the insanity of our behaviour and belief systems and not just rationalise it as coming from the sky. It dissconnects us from owning our human behaviour.

Who is right?
There are so many religions, they tend to stem from moral codes to constrain certain behaviuors of a community and to allocate 'divine given' power to others, whether the power is land ownership , or ownership over a womans reproductive rights, and so on.

I believe (and acknowledge I may be wrong) that a force, beyond anyone on this planets understanding, from chaos created.....and the creation (all universe and dimensions) is the realisation of divine self and perpetual renewal and growth of energy, hence it doesnt intefere. Whether we do right or wrong from our actions and emotions we are renewing energy for creation and that's why 'god' doesnt intefere. Its not a man with a separate awareness that judges us and constrains us morally to certain behaviours, communities created the constraints or 'religion' for a better word.., I do not call it 'god' either, I just dont know what it is, its nature, nor does it matter.

I don't subscribe to the 1000's of ideas of god that have been made over the millenia,....who knows maybe the Trobriand Islanders belief system is correct, and the rest of us are all wrong.
Religion is a learned behaviour, it is not inate.
If I was abandoned on a island as a child I would make up my own belief system, and that would be 'true ' to me, but belief systems are 'life coping' mechanisms.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

zazzafrazz...I'm sure you didn't intend to, but you just proved a certain point, based on your own words.....

the 'god' concept is inherently "made-up" in the minds of Humans.

this 'concept', once formed, seeks out compliance in like-minded individuals.

it matters little if this (or these, in the case of multiple 'god' concepts) are based in reality....it is about a 'group think', eventually....and subsequently indoctrinaton of youngins' ..who, being 'babes', just mimic what they are told by the 'adults'....and, so it goes......

I see by the emoticons on my right that we may have been relegated to the depths of BTS....well, so be it.

Frankly, I have seen a few of these migrate up into ATS...certainly better computer users than I have accomplished this....

My favorite, if I may? is this one.....:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

WW If you are saying I didn't mean to say that humans make up religion and then indoctrinate after a type of communal consensus, then you would be mistaken, that's just what I meant.

back at ya

:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

OK...maybe I getcha now....!

peace!!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

hey why is this on BTS? this seems kinda ATS to me?
Zazz

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

You're missing my point - yes, religion is indeed biblical, in it's pure form. But like MANY words now the word religion does not mean what it used to (or at least it's interpretation). So, its the modern version (or how 99% of the world view religion) that I don't like.

Mind you, this is probably why so many people have issues with 'religion'/christians because people go around nick-picking and pointing out stupidly pointless stuff.....

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Survival of the fittest does not aptly describe evolution, Darwin didn't come up with that phrase, I believe it was a reported remarking on Darwin's Book. It has been replaced since then by another, far better summation. "Survival of the most adaptable."

Thank you. You affirmed my point even better! Now one needs to quantify "adaptable" in light of the Gods definition or requirements relating to survival. You can bet it won't be a religious one!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
8 Contradictory Reasons Why I DO Believe In God

Originally posted by AlexG141989
1.) In all the time man has existed on this blue planet -which can be compared to an astronomical blink of an eye- man has created thousands of Gods.

Man has created thousands of names, thousands of analogies, thousands of images and ideas. But they are very often not as different as they are alike, especially in the most famous cases, serving as examples and pointing towards the same ideas which are ultimately deeply-rooted archetypes of the human mind and are self-empowering. That so many peoples from so many places have settled upon so many of the same ideas, seeking their own empowerment, illustrate the nature and use of these words and symbols.

2.) Humanity seems to have a fascination with Gods and placing them as substitute explanations for that which we have no scientific answer.

Moreso in centuries past, but today man blindly uses the material sciences as so much of a crutch that his creative, intuitive and non-linear part of his nature is seriously hampered. With all of our technology, where are the Shakespeares, da Vincis, and Beethovens? Mediocrity rules today because we have learned only to think mechanically, like the increasingly complicated machines we create. That science, or theology, or any other name for a field of study, cannot provide all the "meaningful answers" to the questions man asks, is proof of our limitations, and of something more to the universe. But even science has proven how physically limited we are in sensing the entirety of what exists all around us.

3.) Someone somewhere likes to attribute rare events to intervention by his or her respective God.

So do you, though you are obviously blind to realize it. To what causes do you attribute effects? "Logical" ones? The apparent formulas that "govern" the natural world become your guides in the exact same fashion that ancient symbolic "gods" guided the thinking of ancients. And if you knew better you would realize that many ancient gods and symbols (for example, the gods Hermes or Isis) are metaphors for exactly the same thing, being symbols for logic and wisdom in general, though they are much more creative, colorful, and richer in meaning than scientific formulas printed in arbitrary English letters, by arbitrary English rules of grammar, in an extremely dry book of mechanical rules.

"God" is a "word," which is a very primitive symbol. The word "gods" is also a symbol. So is the word "logic". What they refer to, consists of more than the mere word, obviously. They are whole ways of thinking associated around these words, and these words serve as common references between people to conjure up these states of mind and modes of thinking.

The Greeks were by no means a stupid civilization, since they made many crucial discoveries and inventions, and much of our culture and society today is still modeled after them. The Greeks understood our very same "logic" -- to a certain extent (we have obviously carried their ideas to a much finer detail and rigor, though we're still far from knowing EVERYTHING). It would be more accurate to say they "gave birth" to our "Western" logic and reasoning, but even that is inaccurate, because many societies have had this same sense about them, and were able to make many contributions that we benefit from today. The most accurate statement, is that what these symbols, words, and forms actually stand for, are THE transcendental, immortal, regular patterns of life, and they are accessible to everyone, in every culture, during any period of time, should anyone be open to receiving the knowledge one way or another. We are still figuring these "laws" out, and are seemingly at their mercy until we DO figure them out. Whether you call them laws, formulas, gods, ideas, forms, makes absolutely no difference except to the fool who only gets caught up in semantics.

Those forms, patterns of energy... it doesn't matter what I call them.

It's obvious they create and destroy everything. Science makes this same assumption in assuming that we are even capable of "figuring things out."

This is what I "believe," and beyond the words these patterns exist experientially in their own right and are irrefutable.

4.) Freewill and omniscience – It has long been believed by Christians that free will was a gift from God. Freewill is our ability to do as we choose, and omniscience is a deity’s ability to know all: past, present, and future. But how can I have the freewill to choose a course of action, when said course of action was long ago predicted by the omniscient being?

Time is not invariable according to conventional science. Sometimes it is assumed not to exist at all, or is irrelevant. On top of that, it also has its own geometry and shape to it, such that time in our solar system and time in another solar system theoretically do not match (relativity, gravity, etc.). Technically if I travel at any rate different from yours, I am experiencing time differently than you, though not enough to notice. If you feel bound to a certain course of action already, that's fine. There is nothing in scientific literature to either prove or disprove the concept of "free will," or even allow the idea to be formulated in a technical sense. The best you can say in any case is that you simply don't know, which isn't worth arguing about. My personal opinion is that the question is irrelevant because we do not truly know how time functions in relation to our conscious experiences, and if we did we would probably realize that there is a degree of both determinism and indeterminism going on, just as in all modern maths and sciences. In fact, unless quantum indeterminism is replaced, modern science supports my position.

5.) This isn’t really a reason why I don’t believe in God, it’s more of an irritant. There is a reason why belief in God, Gods and religion is called a faith. That reason is that such beliefs are not proven fact. So it boggles my mind when I see, or read of religious apologists arguing in favor of God’s existence

It boggles my mind how dependent weak minds have become upon solid yes/no, right/wrong dichotomies, that they become irritable simply entertaining unknown possibilities, especially in the face of the undeniable fact that we are still lacking in knowledge in all fields of study. We aren't even close to knowing everything there is to know. And in your daily life you must assume hundreds of things are true without objective and rigorous proof, for example moral ideas.

Why would such an advanced being choose such a primitive people to relay his message to? Why would he allow his words to be skewed, mistranslated and used as justifications for murder and violence?

There are lots of different kinds of people. Some people get it, some people don't. I'm not actually Christian, and in many other contexts I would even declare that I don't believe in any god. If that confuses you then you are still getting tripped up in the semantics. Violent people will always be violent, selfish people will always exist, so will egotistical people and ignorant people. Everything exists, and the universe would not be a complete expression if that weren't true. Maybe that doesn't make sense to you, but I bet neither does the pyramid with the all-seeing eye on the back of a dollar bill, yet it made it there because SOMEONE understands, too.

7.) The God of the bible displays childish human characteristics such as jealously and anger

I agree.

but yet everybody tells me that God is well beyond the realm of human understanding.

That just goes back to you picking and choosing the meanings of the symbols you attack, and the symbols you identify with. Both concepts of god exist. Why invest so much time arguing about the stupider concept, with stupider people, when you have the "higher" symbol to work with and build yourself personally?

8.) Idiots – Religion has certainly given birth to some of the biggest idiots in the history of humankind.

I can't disagree with that! But they always say you attract more flies with honey.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Man has created thousands of names, thousands of analogies, thousands of images and ideas. But they are very often not as different as they are alike, especially in the most famous cases, serving as examples and pointing towards the same ideas which are ultimately deeply-rooted archetypes of the human mind and are self-empowering.

Alike? Like the many gods of the Greeks, Egyptians, and all the other many many pagan peoples?

Moreso in centuries past, but today man blindly uses the material sciences as so much of a crutch

Calling the sighted people blind? You're projecting.

That science, or theology, or any other name for a field of study, cannot provide all the "meaningful answers" to the questions man asks,

It's not sciences fault that man asks questions that have no answer, or that man for there to be something more than there is.

So do you, though you are obviously blind to realize it.

More projecting.

are metaphors for exactly the same thing, being symbols for logic and wisdom in general, though they are much more creative, colorful, and richer in meaning than scientific formulas printed in arbitrary English letters, by arbitrary English rules of grammar, in an extremely dry book of mechanical rules.

Suck at science, did we?

Time is not invariable according to conventional science. Sometimes it is assumed not to exist at all, or is irrelevant. On top of that, it also has its own geometry and shape to it, such that time in our solar system and time in another solar system theoretically do not match (relativity, gravity, etc.).

So now you're stooping to use the "crutch" of science, eh?

In fact, unless quantum indeterminism is replaced, modern science supports my position.

Making all things mega-parts determinism and quantum-parts indeterminism, probably only because at the quantum level observing an action changes it making it somewhat mysterious. It likely that the tiny particles are deterministic but even if the likely isn't so, Quantum is going to make infinitesimally small, negligible changes to the timeline, meaning you still have no freewill.

It boggles my mind how dependent weak minds have become upon solid yes/no, right/wrong dichotomies, that they become irritable simply entertaining unknown possibilities, especially in the face of the undeniable fact that we are still lacking in knowledge in all fields of study. We aren't even close to knowing everything there is to know. And in your daily life you must assume hundreds of things are true without objective and rigorous proof, for example moral ideas.

Which for the most part are reasonable ideas. Morals are social constructs; customs to live by in order to be accepted and favoured in the group. They aren't real universal laws by any stretch. God would be, but we still have no reason to believe, no motivating evidence. The Scientific Method, the best way of learning anything, has nothing to say about him. There simply is no reason to believe.

If that confuses you then you are still getting tripped up in the semantics. Violent people will always be violent, selfish people will always exist, so will egotistical people and ignorant people. Everything exists, and the universe would not be a complete expression if that weren't true.

"Complete Expression" ? You wanna define that for us? The universe itself has no will or intent, so why would there need to be complete expression?

Maybe that doesn't make sense to you, but I bet neither does the pyramid with the all-seeing eye on the back of a dollar bill, yet it made it there because SOMEONE understands, too.

You still aren't answering the OP's question. This species, this planet, this solarsystem even, is not significant. On the assumption that a God exists, why would it care? Looking around at the upkeep of the world, it doesn't exactly look like he does. > Go back a few pages and look at George Carlin.

That just goes back to you picking and choosing the meanings of the symbols you attack, and the symbols you identify with. Both concepts of god exist. Why invest so much time arguing about the stupider concept, with stupider people, when you have the "higher" symbol to work with and build yourself personally?

He's saying that the religious image of what God would be is flawed, which going on what you said, you must agree with. But the general logic of 'higher beings' is flawed, what do they do in all of their infinateness? They don't seem to have any hand in what we do.

A friend of mine died last year, a good kid. Funny, slimly, happy, trusting, glad to be alive after he had gotten better after his brain tumours. He gets hit by a truck and dies on the spot. At the funeral the minister says "God giveth and God taketh away." If that is so then he must answer to the family and friends for effectively murdering our boy. I can't escape the idea that if God does exist, he can't care about any of us any more than we care about the stones that don't get stuck in our shoe, or he is morally bankrupt.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Just to lighten this rather morbid discussion.

new topics
top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join