It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Reasons Why I DOn't Believe In God

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I am a Christian and I understand where the OP is coming from. It's hard to believe in someone you can't see in the flesh. And the older we get the harder it is to believe because as time goes on and we get older then the harder our hearts become. The Bible says there is no reason not to believe in God. Romans chapter 1 in verses 19 and 20 says, "They know the truth about God because God has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see His invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God."

Those who say they don't believe in God either aren't aware of what God says regarding belief and non-belief or else they choose to deny the truth because they don't want it to change their lives. But whether somebody believes or not, it is not going to change the fact that God does exist. Once we pass into eternity to wherever it is we will each go - depending on whether we listened to these words or not - it will be too late. Would you rather gamble and say there is no God and that Jesus didn't die on the cross for our sins and spend eternity in hell or would you prefer to find out more before you make that kind of a decision and choose God instead and spend eternity in paradise - heaven. It is not wise to listen to the foolishness of this world. The foolish say there is no God.
Before you make a decision against God - stand outside on a starlit night and look up and around you in quietness - away from everybody and everything. Just take a few minutes and look at the stars and moon and even the trees and mountains and hills around you. The earth is an environment that God created for His creation - Man - to enjoy. If you really do what I'm suggesting here, then the scriptures at the top of this post should come alive for you. At least I hope they do.

Unfortunately, many of us have lost touch with God because of the hectic world we live in and because of the problems that we each face. That measure of faith that God has given each of us is no longer apparent in our lives because we've either forgotten about it or we simply choose to ignore it. It is still there but it has no effect in our lives. It was like this for me for many years. I've been close to death many times in my life. I decided I didn't want to take the chance of deciding against God and then having to pay for it for all eternity. I've chosen to believe and accept rather than reject the Creator of the heavens and the earth. My home is now in heaven. God's word tells me that He has prepared a mansion for me in paradise. So when my time comes to leave this world then I can be assured of everlasting, eternal peace and joy.

In closing, there is only one real God. And the one real God is the one who created the universe. He created life out of the dust of the earth. He created the heavens and the earth. He documented His work in the handbook that He has given to us as His gift to us - the Bible. There have been many who have tried disproving the Bible but it hasn't been done yet. If it were not so, then it wouldn't still be the #1 selling book in the world. And yes - the key to unlocking the promises contained in this Book and the everlasting life that is in store for each of us if we choose to accept it is FAITH. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

I don't know if this helps anybody but I hope that it speaks to hearts.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
Very true - I guess it is 'religion' that gets me wound up. I am a Christian and believe in 'God'.

Religion (as we now call it before it's pure form') is now simply a weapon or excuse to do things in the name of god. It's man taking something pure and adding his own rules and regulations around it to get power and his own way. That's destructive.

Religion is Biblical. Are you a Christian that reject the Bible?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yeah,
I mean... If there is a god that creates things, who created the god???

The god idea is just a way for primatives to explain things, and for those that control to gain more control... speaking of those fallen angels that mated with the daughters of men, the fact that our DNA is VERY ET, and the accounts of our ancestors... The systems of control use this 'god' idea to force worship... of them.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

Wow. Well said, and I can agree with you on every point. I too am Athiest, and my wife is Lutheran. Everybody needs a security blanket, and for most, it is some form of god.

I've gone though some pretty tough times, and I've made it though on my own, without needing to believe in anything. I tried it once, read the bible cover to cover, and while I think it's a great story, I don't believe a word of it, nor did it give me any reason to believe in god.

The thing that I cannot stand about some religious people, is that they try to force their god down your throat. Believe whatever it is that you feel you need to believe, but don't ever tell me what I have to believe.

link   

Originally posted by flyindevil
Why would "God" allow "satan" to place this confusion?

To see how or if a person choses to overcome it, or if they give up. One possibility, there are many.

How does he do it?

Allowance. He knows evil exists and what it is capable of, merely not obliterating it (yet) permits evil to take its course.

Is he more powerful than "God"?

If I allow my dog to eat his food, is my dog more powerful than I am?

How does a conscious exist without a nervous system?
Discuss.

Conscious apparently is not made up of physical matter...or perhaps matter so small and dispersed within the quarks and gluons that it is dispersed when something 'dies'. It's quite a puzzle we have on our hands and I'm looking forward to answering some of these kinds of questions which is why I became a biochemist in the first place.

link   
Im not a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist...whatever...any religion, i do not believe. BUT i do think that religious texts have been miss-conceived over the generations and that they do hold some truth, depending on which way you interpret them. But not believe in 'god' or a 'god' -whatever you want to call it- is really quite ignorant in my opinion, i think the very simple fact that we exist should be evident enough that there is something higher then us...a lot of people have trouble grasping that concept.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by AlexG141989
My question is how is the Abrahamic God of today’s monotheistic religions any different than Zeus, Poseidon or any of the ancient Gods that people long ago once worshipped?

One is real, the others are not. I've tested this as well.

This is where I disagree.

The OP used the original belief in Zeus, and the current belief of Christians as an argument against a Supreme Being.

I believe that, in order for God to be worshiped globally, by all people, he needs to present Himself in a way which a certain culture will understand - that fit's into their way of thinking.

A Viking would never have accepted the Christian God, because his way is foreign to their culture.

In the old testament, where God seemed slightly less merciful than in the new testament, he needed to present himself slightly differently than in the new testament, where culture was perhaps more 'civilized' and could better understand the message.

Is it not possible that Zeus and the Christian God were one and the same, because if it were so, this would better fit into God's design of being worshiped by ALL mankind, not simply by Christians, for example.

(Of course, this does not agree with Christian beliefs, but the OP was discussing the non-existence of ANY God, and as such, as I have already pointed out, if one takes Christianity out of the equation, many of his reasons for the non-existence of God are no longer valid.)

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Saurus]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Religion & god, all control mechanisms... I believed there may have been a god as a kid, for a short period, but did that stop me from doing 'bad' things, like steal chocolate?

No...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by F15-Pilot

Maybe the doubt and non-belief comes from observation of the followers, rather than denying what we can't see in the flesh, or from having a hardened heart.

If someone comes knocking on my door, telling me they have a great deal on the very best vacuum cleaner money can buy, I'm not buying it.

If someone comes knocking on my door, telling me they have a great deal on the very best god a soul can buy, I'm not buying it.

I don't and won't believe that an omnipotent being gets jealous or vengeful--it all reads like humans trying to keep humans in line to me and using "god" to do it.

I don't and won't believe that an all-knowing deity is confined to a gender (humans trying to keep other humans in tow again, and blaming "god" again), hates what he/she/whatever created and instructs others to do so as well ("I'm not homosexual, so it must be wrong."), and I will not now or ever believe that I am caught in a celestial tug of war between the creator of all things and a fallen angel.

And no amount of bible quoting or soliciting at my door will change my mind about that. If it works for you, that is great, but as I said, I'm not buying it.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
Is it not possible that Zeus and the Christian God were one and the same, because if it were so, this would better fit into God's design of being worshiped by ALL mankind, not simply by Cristians, for example.

I have high doubts that this would be believed, but as an agnostic I was hoping that Zeus and the Greek gods were real because it explained so much why the wind blew, the snow fell, and why nature seems peaceful one moment but dangerous the next. They were invited to 'the party' but none of them showed. The zeus idea is very different in not only name but also concept than God and is not comparable. It was a little dishearting when I found out there was no Zeus, but also refreshing that I'd finally found out what did indeed exist.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Time=Now
I believed there may have been a god as a kid, for a short period, but did that stop me from doing 'bad' things, like steal chocolate?

No...

You believed God would stop you from stealing?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
If someone comes knocking on my door, telling me they have a great deal on the very best vacuum cleaner money can buy, I'm not buying it.

What if it were in fact the very best vacuum cleaner money could buy?

If someone comes knocking on my door, telling me they have a great deal on the very best god a soul can buy, I'm not buying it.

Sounds like you've been sold a bad vacuum cleaner.

I don't and won't believe that an all-knowing deity is confined to a gender

I agree. The only reason why "He" exists in modern translations is because the English language doesn't have a gender neutral term as written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.

hates what he/she/whatever created and instructs others to do so as well

God wants all of us to come to know and love him and instructs us to love one another. This does not mean condoning murder, but rather doing our best to keep our fellow person from stumbling into that sin.

link   
reply to post by saint4God

Parents will tell a child that God sees all, and that if anything is done that is against the rules, God will punish them.

link   

So do you understand even that, if you do not bewlieve, that is your choice, but it has helped me, and many others. Without christianity western society would not be where it is today, no matter what you think.

I disagree and agree respectively to these two points. Number one, for me, not believing is NOT a choice, they same way I'm sure you don't really believe in the boogeyman....Not because you choose not too, but because, well lets face it, the idea is Preposterous based on common sense as well as scientific knowledge. Not an attack at all, I just don't like being told "well thats your choice" because no its not, I believe what I believe because that's what my mind says makes sense. I can't choose to believe in Santa Clause, not "whole-heartedly and without doubt" just because I want to. (Who wouldn't want that to be a reality, especially getting what I asked for!

You are correct in your second point, IMO (as any thread like this is ALL opinion, mostly), but I would go further and say that religion has made the entire world what, or a large part of it anyways, is and will continue to be. Religion is wonderful and inspirational, and at the same time it can be utterly destructive, such as the middle east mess IMO.

Science will never answer all questions, and neither will religion, at least in this realm. Personally, If he is real and I meet him, as long as I am not condemned to hell just because the brain HE gave me couldn't believe, hopefully he will just say "hey, you didn't do what you should have done, try again...What would you like to do this time?" (Matrix Anyone?)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

The zeus idea is very different in not only name but also concept than God and is not comparable.

I believe that different concepts of God ARE necessary.

If God did exist, he would certainly be universal.

If life does exist on other planets, surely they would not be able to accept a God which is understood by humans, since their entire concept of living would be different.

OK - this is hypothetical, but I, personally, believe that we are not alone in the universe, and therefore, if I do not reconcile myself to the 'various concepts of God' idea, I suddenly have to become a non-believer, because things start not to make sense.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Saurus]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
Parents will tell a child that God sees all, and that if anything is done that is against the rules, God will punish them.

In fairness, God does punish...just not always right way.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen
reply to post by AlexG141989

Your first mistake is assuming that fostering a belief in God means practicing Christianity.

There are many notions I held in my late teens that I have since abandoned.

1. None of those gods was a Creator. Christians don't worship the same god that Jews and Muslims worship. You make an interesting point though: the stories of the "gods" in these religions is similar to those of past gods. Research it and you will notice.

2. We're gonna quietly wait for you to come up with an explanation, then. Mainstream science has already shown itself to be imperfect.

3. It is selfish to assume that God has to save everybody to prove that he exists. He is not bound by that obligation, nor does he make that promise. You're obvious not well-versed about the events of September 11, 2001. Browse through the other parts of this website. You misspelled Santa Claus, which demonstrates your understanding.

4. The point is to assume responsibility for your own actions. Just because Christianity doesn't make sense doesn't mean that you should become a ruthless outlaw.

5. Science is a form of faith.

6. You obviously have very little understanding of Christianity, or its history

7. That is religion

8. Just because religion is flawed doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. You should learn to think for yourself on other matters, like the true teaching of the Bible and Christianity, before going straight for the jugular and questionning whether or not God exists.

You have lots of work to do before anybody will take your claims seriously.

Actually, he didn't mistake in assuming that believing in god means practicing christianity, he made it clear he meant other religions as well. Please read posts before trying to give constructive advice. I think your the one that has lots of work to do. Oh and pointing out one misspelling of a word in a internet forum shows that you lack fuel to actually challenge the contents within the OP. By the way you spelled questioning wrong, it has one "n" not two.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I believe that different concepts of God ARE necessary.

If I led anyone to think that we don't have the right to choose our own beliefs I apologize.

If God did exist, he would certainly be universal.

I'm with ya there.

If life does exist on other planets, surely they would not be able to accept a God which is understood by humans, since their entire concept of living would be different.

How are you so sure? There's a lot of assumptions being made here.

OK - this is hypothetical, but I, personally, believe that we are not alone in the universe,

I'm thinking we're not alone either, so with ya there too.

and therefore, if I do not reconcile myself to the 'various concepts of God' idea, I suddenly have to become a non-believer, because things start not to make sense.

There have been many instances in history where believers were the missionaries to those who did not know God existed. Why would extra-terrestrial life be any different? Space is akin to a giant ocean.

I'm a little concerned that anything that I have to say could possibly sever your connection with God. That's the bond worth spending time strengthening.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
1 Reason why I DO believe in God

1) Why not?

Well, not knowing what you're even talking about when you say that is a pretty good reason why not.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Mekanic, this is very similar to when I remember being very young, and my mother caught me doing something I shouldn't have. I also remember her answer when I asked her how she new.

Her reply? "I have eyes in the back of my head."

Well a child, young, impressionable and gullible enough will believe just about anything if your Mother tells you....at least, after I kept taking closer looks at the back of her head I eventually engaged my critical thinking skills.

With Santa Clause, different motivation, similar result....pretending to believe because you want the extra presents.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join