It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Reasons Why I DOn't Believe In God

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
i feel like my signature quote somes up my opinions on this matter.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Very true - I guess it is 'religion' that gets me wound up. I am a Christian and believe in 'God'.

Religion (as we now call it before it's pure form') is now simply a weapon or excuse to do things in the name of god. It's man taking something pure and adding his own rules and regulations around it to get power and his own way. That's destructive.

God is love (and yes you can quote some not so nice 'old testament stuff which would appear to contradict this) - but I believe that you love someone else more than yourself, the ultimate example being Gods son dying in my place. But man grabs hold of the whole thing - adds a bit of this, a bit of that and before we know it we have catholics, Protestants, jews, gentiles etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, there is a whole load of crap I don't understand (9/11 etc. and how it could happen), but it does not sway the bit within me that is 'I know, that I know, that I know', and back to my original statement 'Why not'.

[edit on 9/4/09 by AlwaysQuestion]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

Here is why I believe in God. I grew up in a non religious household. I was an agnostic for years. In my late twenties I was baptized and at that moment ALL DOUBT about God disappeared! And to this day I firmly believe in God no matter what someone else says.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
oh my..another one of those "is there a god" threads.....

GOD is man made!!...simple as that....

a human said "there is something up there"
another human called it "GOD, ALLAH, etc"
humans then spread this to other humans.....

your born and another human tells you...believe in this book....believe in and worship god......

im sorry...NO....i live my life my way..not how no other human or god would tell me to.....

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

God is a title = the whole Bible, etc.. the original and accurate one is all about a being who came to earth, created the galaxies and earths, and who wants worship, and is still here and never left...

Example: In the Beginning God created the Heaven and earth. - Translation = In the Beginning a Being created the Galaxy and the Earth... Hence in the end a new Heaven and Earth - a new Galaxy and a new earth... Jesus said he and u are a spirit = a being - when Jesus said he was sending the Holy Spirit - he was sending himself in his original form = a vapor like being...that is why he said he will always be with you....

Holy Spirit = Holy Being

There is NO supernatural - Powers and Healing are science, but this being can do things we can NOT...

This Being did NOT create the Universe - The Universe was created before him, and thus does NOT look like a human being, Image = Ways = Character Traits and NOT physical image...

Thus, if U understand the True Bible, you would know that this being said they were the First and last = thus the first being and who created it all - thus This being is the True God and the True Satan - Remember Lucifer is the FATHER of lies and not the creator - find the Characteristics of Man and u got God's characteristics... So how was this being created? Evolution by microbes coming together and eventually after billions of years even tho there is NOT time, hence this Being was formed,
and thus as you can see is NOT human and is NOT in human form - why do all prophsies come true = because this being is doing it all and also said that he already created those who will suffer and don't - he created the murders, etc.. and are going to punish them...

This being created two types of men (general) - those who will suffer now and live fruitfully on the new Earth in the new galaxy and those who he played with on earth... He or this BEING created it all and is going to end it all - u are who u are by this being and all ur thoughts and actions and again whether u will be put in the fire or not is already determined.... Even lucifer and his son is already controlled to be who they are, etc and can NOT change that......

It is all there - Knew you before u were born, first and last, etc, knew the saints before the foundation of the world, etc..... and those who deny this, deny that God is the First and Last and thus are denying that he is God, it all depends on which way you are looking - UP --> Down = Truth - Down --> up = u think ur free when ur not, etc...

You can read it up on my blog here: (360.yahoo.com/palmonezire31fanatic) and if you have any questions just ask..
and I wll answer and on the anti-christ thing - Spirit of the Antichrist, Spirit of God = Lucifer is the Anti-Christ, again u just gotta understand it all and the Truth from the lies, etc... Again those who Deny this Being is the True God AND Satan do NOT know the Holy Bible and are mis-understanding it, and thus just said that he is NOT God, and this Being does NOT exist..., etc.......

Also Remember the Horses, etc.. POWER WAS GIVEN UNTO THEM - By whom - it does NOT say, so we know the default is this being, etc... Again You just have to understand the whole thing and once you understand the above, u will understand the TRUTH, and THUS WILL find the true path to this being, and yes when this being said breath - they meant not physical man blown into a clay figure, etc......
... oh! and read up on the REAL ANGELS and u will never look at pics of them the same again as these beings look radically diff. than humans, etc...

[edit on 9-4-2009 by nowshining]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

This all depends on what your concept of God is. Let's look at it from a vastly different point of view.

#1 There have been many Gods worshiped throughout history.

Reply: Notice that each society worshiped Gods that were enormous magnifications of themselves. Warlike people had warlike Gods. Primitive people had primitive Gods who loved sacrifice. Peaceful people have peaceful Gods. People with a more abstract perception of what they are have a more abstract concept of God. For example, Zeus was depicted to be an all powerful horny guy who wore Greek clothing and demanded sacrifices. he could be angered. Yet many eastern concepts of God don't have a form, or attributes that could readily be portrayed as human. They don't get angry, or want sacrifice. There is nothing you could bribe such a being with.

#2 Men seek answers so they turn to Gods.

Reply: Men seek answers so they turn to those offering answers. Each person was brought up among certain beliefs, so they will generally turn to whatever source they were taught to look to. Whether that's a God, or a man, or a plant, or a book.

#3 Why do bad things happen?

Reply: From God's point of view, nothing bad could ever happen. Everything is an immortal being that is absolutely unaffected by whatever could happen. Everything is presently perfect. From the perspective of God, everything that happens is all perfect. It's just experience. 911 was not bad. We feel it's bad because peoples bodies went away and there was suffering because of emotional attachment we assigned to them. But to God, it's just experience for the soul, and if a soul goes through torture a hundred million times until the lesson required for it's spiritual is reached that's fine. Once it's reached, a soul could experience what once would have been torture, and not judge it. Note how the monks protesting Vietnam could set themselves on fire and burn to death without making a sound. They did not judge it as bad, they had transcended the idea that the body was them.

4: Freewill: is there such a thing?

Reply: Yes and no. The soul has the opportunity to learn at every instant. If the soul puts the body above the soul, and gets concerned about pain or loss, then they have chosen to elevate a lesser thing above a greater thing. At all times, we have the option to choose the spiritual over the material, emotional, mental. Whenever we place one of those above the spiritual, there is suffering. Now, "Karma" is cause and effect. If you walk in front of a speeding train, your karma is that it will destroy your body. If you are hostile towards people, they may meet you the same way. If you eat foods your body was not designed to operate on, your body won't work at it's peak. You're not being punished, it's just the nature effect. You are not punished for your "sins" but by them.

5: God selected specific people over others. Why would he do this?

Reply: He didn't. People wanted to be special, so they decided they were in Gods eyes. To God, everyone is the same.

6: God is childish in the bible.

Reply: The old testament was for a more warlike people, so their God was wrathful and cruel, like they were. The new testament God was for more forgiving and loving people, so this God was forgiving and loving. As mankind evolves spiritually, the general consciousness of the world will perceive God as whatever is appropriate for them. Some people who still fight in small tribes pray to warlike Gods. This is appropriate for them. But the majority of the world is becoming more peaceful, so more moderate beliefs about God are prevalent.

7: There are religious people who are idiots.

Reply: There are many idiots in the world, with many crazy notions. Through auto-suggestion, which I have written extensively about on ATS, people may be convinced of virtually anything.

This is just a quickie reply. What do you define God as? If you are looking for a big roman dressed older man sitting in a great throne in the clouds, surely, you are seeking a more friendly replacement for Zeus. But as man evolves, so does his concept of the divine.

I'm sorry that I did not address every issue in you raised. I am a bit strapped for time.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

Non believers always say they are open to the thought of a higher being as to not rule out anything, but believers wouldnt dare entertain the thought they are wrong, its closed minded, dangerous and ruining our society.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by stereovoyaged]

Nicely put!!!...

This thread will obviously go nowhere, but I'll throw one comment out there. I have always said to people when this topic (god/religion) comes up... And that is the fact that Out of all the Different Religions throughout the world, each having different beliefs of their "Gods" and how life began?
With that said...The world we live in could ONLY have been created/started
one way!! That means only ONE religion can be right or we are all wrong!..
think about it!!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Why do we care if you do or don't believe in God? Are you a person of authority? I swear its worse than when the Christians try to get everyone to follow their ways and their beliefs. Gotta love is when atheists are louder than Christians.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
[edit on 9-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Good post, you obviously have given this a lot of thought and did well explaining your points. Well done.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Humans are all spiritual beings, and if you have never had any spiritual experinces in your life, you must be an empty person, because with out some spiritual guidance we all just material beings.

You don't need god or religion to have a "spiritual experience".

Its a shame that society and science is trying to take the place of god, and maybe they will, as they believe do it. It will be a shame if that day comes, and maybe it is here already.

Society is starting to think for themselves more. People are realizing that they are the one's in control of their lives, not some higher power. Many still belief in god, but they want nothing to do with the church. This kind of thinking does scare churches, because then the clergy are out of work. If there was a god, and it was against science, then science wouldn't exist. Besides, whatever science cannot find the answer too, only keeps the mystery of life going.

I personally have ahd an absolute sh1t adult life, and people trying to destroy me, but my faith has kept me going, and without it, i would not be here.

Sorry you've had such a crappy life, welcome to the club, but we shape our own lives and make our own way. Don't like what you got going on for you, then maybe it's time to make changes. Your faith is only a painkiller, taking away the pain, but not fixing the problem. If you still want your faith, then go ahead but the rest is on you.

So do you understand even that, if you do not bewlieve, that is your choice, but it has helped me, and many others. Without christianity western society would not be where it is today, no matter what you think.

I do agree, without christianity, western society would not be where it is today. It would have been better off without it.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
I see 8 reasons you should pray. Satan is 'confusion" and obviously has placed such in your mind.

The greatest conspiriacy of all time is satan convincing the weak minded there is no God.

Simply take a breath, look beyond your own self, and see the wonders of God's creation.

Yeaaaaaaah it was satan that placed the fiery darts right?
Blame it on satan.....
Oh the devil made me do it......

To the OP, good post. Very well done and keep searching.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with your not believing in a "God". The mind will find a way to rationalize anything. Until the right combination of conditions within you lead you to question the rationals you seem to have settled on you'll comfortably remain as you are. Of course, that doesn't alter reality. We are here as spirits wrapped in many covers and the spirit has the divine connection within it. The creations of matter are perfect as can be done. There is no fault or failure in it. What you are going through now is the benefit you require at this moment. It doesn't matter whether you like it, or believe in it, or think it can't exist. Benefit you will, leading you to the next step then the next then the next until you gain an insight or intuition into the existence of the divine. Then you may pursue that for awhile and may fall back to denial or move even higher. Eventually, you will have removed your impurities, grasp the truth, and it will then facilitate your returning to your true home. Whether that is one life time or a thousand it matters very little, that is the destiny of all.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well written OP. I think you got your point across in a well-thought out manner.

And I agree completely!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Why do we care if you do or don't believe in God? Are you a person of authority? I swear its worse than when the Christians try to get everyone to follow their ways and their beliefs. Gotta love is when atheists are louder than Christians.

I believe that it is only when a person asks himself questions such as these, and finds answers to them, that he can truly believe in 'God.'

If I am afraid to question something, then I cannot say that I truly believe, because there is always a niggling doubt at the back of my mind.

However, if I have examined every reason as to why a supreme being should not exist, but still come to the conclusion that he does, then I truly have faith.

Therefore, questions like these are always appreciated by myself, since they challenge, and ultimately strengthen my own faith, so I thank the OP for doing so.

However, I do feel that the OP he is examining things too much from a Christian perspective. If you take Christianity out of the question, many of the arguments against a God fall away. One example is his point on free will and the concept of eternal damnation, an argument which makes no sense to Wiccans, for example, since they do not believe in eternal damnation.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
I see 8 reasons you should pray. Satan is 'confusion" and obviously has placed such in your mind.

The greatest conspiriacy of all time is satan convincing the weak minded there is no God.

Simply take a breath, look beyond your own self, and see the wonders of God's creation.

Why would "God" allow "satan" to place this confusion? How does he do it? Is he more powerful than "God"?
How does a conscious exist without a nervous system?
Discuss.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Though I am a believer, yours is a great post. You lay your arguement out very well, and it is one that i have read over and over from people who do not believe. Nearly identical. As with christians, you have to rationalize why you believe the way you believe. I think the key word that seperates atheists from religous believers is FAITH. You are supposed to have faith in god if you believe in God. You may not get slapped in the face by a physical god your entire life, but you have faith that he/she is there. That is the kicker. You have no faith, thus you do not believe. You do not believe, because you feel you need proof of his existence. God is god, and he doesnt have to prove his existence to you. Now, I am not going to go on a tirade about you are going to hell and you are a bad person, because you are not. I am sure you are a very good person. Faith in God cannot be forced on man by another man. It has to be felt within his soul. Be it by an enlightenment, an event, or some other happening. You are fine by me, I will not judge you.

I was raised in a christian home. Went to church EVERY Sunday as my grandpa was an elder in our church and superintendent of the church. I was baptized at 13. I didnt really feel a "happening" at that point, and to be honest with you, from about 14-20 I questioned if there even was a god, and did I believe. But, then through events out of my control (some of them bad) I started to have faith and change inside and accept Jesus. That is my story. Sometimes I still get angry with God, and that is natural. But I know my heart is good, and I have never dont anything too awful in my life. Sometimes when money, health, family issues stack up on top of each other it is easy to question my faith, but I always realize that he is in my heart, and I do believe and love God. It is a journey for most that starts at birth. I know people who grew up catholic, protestant, etc, and are now non believers. It doesnt matter whether you were raised christian or not. You have free will to believe what you want to believe. Dont be fooled.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexG141989
I imagine many Christians, and others of differing faiths who have not deeply questioned their religious convictions wonder why a person would turn away from religion, and a belief in God.

I believe everyone should deeply question their religious convictions. The Bible itself says a person should as well.

My short answer is that there is simply no reason to believe in God, or subscribe to a religion.

In the same way, I cannot deny the proof I'd been given to not believe.

I, like I suspect many atheists, was born into a household of believers.

Hence the anger?

And that is the problem I think, most children are indoctrinated at a young age.

I wasn't raised Christian, being the first in my family. Perhaps I'm an exception.

They are made to believe one thing, without being given an alternative. After all, if a child is born into a Christian household, he will be a Christian,

Like you, right?

I suspect many kids who grow up believing in God as I did never really give it much thought.

This is who's fault?

My question is how is the Abrahamic God of today’s monotheistic religions any different than Zeus, Poseidon or any of the ancient Gods that people long ago once worshipped?

One is real, the others are not. I've tested this as well.

2.) Humanity seems to have a fascination with Gods and placing them as substitute explanations for that which we have no scientific answer. Simply put, just because we don’t know how something works, doesn’t mean God did it…

I agree and find science is a great way to explore God, not to deny Him. Further, God wants us to grow, learn and discover things, why would we deny doing so?

Some Christians claim that God answers their prayers; well I say what makes that any different than a Muslim claiming that Allah answered his prayers? What makes that any different than followers of ancient Gods claiming divine intervention?

Study and probability. Single rare occurances do not necessarily make a divine intervention, but impossible or repeated extremely rare occurences should be telling a person something.

Does that make him a good God, or a “just God” as he is claimed to be? Of course not. If he will intervene to save one man’s life, why did he not intervene during 9/11 and somehow, using his omnipotence, guide those planes to a safe landing somewhere out of New York?

The assumption here is that we know what is 'good' and 'just' moreso than God does. God is the one with the plan and is able to decide accordingly what has to occur for the ultimate good to come about. Also, death is not 'the end' to a believer, but is actually a lot closer to the 'beginning' because infinity is a long time. The doctor sometimes has to give us an injection in order for us to get better, analogously put.

Do people honestly believe that God would intervene to allow one man to survive, while letting thousands of innocents die? “God works in mysterious ways” is the common answer among those who can’t think for themselves.

His ways are not mysterious to Him, only to us. Using our mind to figure it out can be part of our growth and development. In fact, there's no rule that's saying anyone can't ask Him or ask Him to show us why it was necessary. Taking the reverse approach, why does God allow so many people to live everyday? Clearly we're all sinners.

With all of the suffering in the world, poverty, murder, starvation, if a loving God does exist, (and it certainly cannot be proven that he does or does not) wouldn’t it make sense for him to put an end to this senseless violence and suffering?

Indeed it can be proven that He does. Although I cannot prove it to you, I can help someone obtain that validation on their own. It was once that way, however we as mankind introduced into the equation a deviation which led to suffering, poverty, murder, and starvation. This is the bed in which we must lay until we seek help out of it. When a believer suffers, it's for a purpose.

But how can I have the freewill to choose a course of action, when said course of action was long ago predicted by the omniscient being?

God knows our nature, but I don't believe He puppets every human being's every move.

In other words, I have no choice but to do what God predicted I would do. If I die an unlawful sinner, how can God condemn me to eternal damnation when he already knew of my sins before they were committed?

Why would God give you the option to choose eternal life if you had no way of choosing it? The same can be said for this, but it's not so great a paradox. The offer is on the table, He knows both sides of your nature, the one that 1.) wants to take it, and 2.) the one that wants to reject it. There would be no point if we were androids.

Let’s go back to the supposed beginning of man on earth, the fictional story of Adam and Eve. Did God not know that Eve would take a bite out of that fruit, and in doing so seal their fate?

He always knew the possibility existed, but I believe God is a loving God who chose to experience time with us.

The rules of omniscience say yes, he did know, but if he knew all along then why forbid Adam & Eve from entering the Garden of Eden?

Humankind growth and education, for one. Secondly, I believe it was a genuine relationship where He permissioned mankind to make the choice.

But you wouldn’t exactly go out of your way to disprove the existence of the boogeyman would you?

I agree this would be a pointless exercise.

However, if someone claimed to have seen the boogeyman, on whose shoulder’s would the burden of proof lie? Not the skeptic’s, that’s for sure.

The skeptic is surely welcomed to investigate. I'd ask questions, surely. It's important to be open minded about these things. Some people 'just make stuff up' but not usually. There's probably a reason.

Why would such an advanced being choose such a primitive people to relay his message to?

It's a four letter L word ending with E.

Why would he allow his words to be skewed, mistranslated and used as justifications for murder and violence?

Why would He prevent it? Does He want androids but cannot make them?

Moreover, why would such as perfect God allow stories to be kept from the bible, see Lilith, Adam’s first woman.

The Lilith story doesn't have any basis in facts.

Wouldn’t it make sense, if he truly wanted us to believe, to let his voice be heard, literally, as a loud voice in the sky or something of that sort?

Although He's done it before, it wasn't the case for me...rather my experience was a trial by fire. It sucked but am glad I'm through it. Looking back at my stubborness, I doubt I would have listened to anything less. A true skeptic would not be moved by a message s/he thought s/he may have heard from a cloud.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The Bible is made by humans BUT so is everything else.

Well first of all I don't believe in everything i read. And i dont use what i read to say that this is what i know. Because it is not what i know but what i read. It is very important to know the difference in that.

Knowledge is a miss understood them. Knowledge is all about what you can remember from past time and used in present time so you can function to an extent.

If you have a short memory you will be a victim of doubt and new believes and make a lot of mistakes.

That's why you have to think about what you read before you make a conclusion so you dont become a victim of everything you read.

Knowledge is divided by two. Thoughts and feelings. Its what makes us human.

We all know that knowledge and feelings are separated from each other.

If you tell a lie and get caught where do you feel the guilt? It sure ain't between your ears.

Before you tell the lie what do you feel?

You feel that your thoughts and feelings collide. You use your mind to suppress your feelings so that you can go a head with the lie. Because that is the goal you have in mind.

This has something to do with profit. Knowledge is a instrument for profit and visions. You feelings set the standard for how you want to make your profit.

Your knowledge and feelings are not located at the same place. You cant feel anything with you brain only visualize you thoughts.

Now what dose this have to do with God and religion. Read the Bible then think.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

He’s omnipotent after all, so he can assuredly do such a thing.

Surely He could, but merely doing something doesn't mean it's beneficial.

Even further, it makes no sense that such a powerful God would actually care whether I, an ant in comparison, believed in him or not.

Ah, this is where I can say with all confidence that you're absolutely incorrect. Further, why would God bother taking any time or energy creating something He didn't care about?

7.) The God of the bible displays childish human characteristics

This is your judgement, may His judgement upon you not be so harsh.

8.) Idiots – Religion has certainly given birth to some of the biggest idiots in the history of humankind.

More judgement. I'm starting to lose interest in the monologue at this point. Looking forward to a response...minus the judgementalisms of course.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join