It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Reasons Why I DOn't Believe In God

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I imagine many Christians, and others of differing faiths who have not deeply questioned their religious convictions wonder why a person would turn away from religion, and a belief in God. My short answer is that there is simply no reason to believe in God, or subscribe to a religion. I, like I suspect many atheists, was born into a household of believers. As I was growing up I remember I’d pray to God. I don’t recollect praying for materialistic objects, no, most of the time my prayers consisted of asking God to give me courage to perform certain tasks. However, the notion that God did not exist didn’t enter my mind until I began re-evaluating my beliefs in my late teens. And that is the problem I think, most children are indoctrinated at a young age. They are made to believe one thing, without being given an alternative. After all, if a child is born into a Christian household, he will be a Christian, but if he’s born into a Muslim household, he will end up a Muslim. Both which are considered different faiths. I suspect many kids who grow up believing in God as I did never really give it much thought.

Not to go off in another direction though, this is simply about why I don’t believe in God, not how others are made to believe in fairytales. As I previously stated, simply put, there is no reason to believe in God. But I will go a little in depth on why I don’t believe in God with a list of reasons.

1.) In all the time man has existed on this blue planet -which can be compared to an astronomical blink of an eye- man has created thousands of Gods. Even certain men have been elevated to Deity status. My question is how is the Abrahamic God of today’s monotheistic religions any different than Zeus, Poseidon or any of the ancient Gods that people long ago once worshipped? We seem to be okay with classifying Zeus as a figment of people’s imaginations because “that’s what people believed in a long time ago”. But that is precisely my point, people believed in Zeus just as strongly as Christians believe in God, or Muslims in Allah. I predict that in time the God we have all grown to know will be replaced by another, and if humanity doesn’t grow up, the trend will certainly continue.

2.) Humanity seems to have a fascination with Gods and placing them as substitute explanations for that which we have no scientific answer. Simply put, just because we don’t know how something works, doesn’t mean God did it…

3.) Someone somewhere likes to attribute rare events to intervention by his or her respective God. Some Christians claim that God answers their prayers; well I say what makes that any different than a Muslim claiming that Allah answered his prayers? What makes that any different than followers of ancient Gods claiming divine intervention? Another rare event too often attributed to God is the miraculous survival of someone near death. Not too long ago I read a news story about a man who either jumped, or fell from a very high building. Somehow he survived the impact, and many people who commented attributed his survival to intervention by a deity. Let’s say this God did in fact intervene and saved this man’s life. Does that make him a good God, or a “just God” as he is claimed to be? Of course not. If he will intervene to save one man’s life, why did he not intervene during 9/11 and somehow, using his omnipotence, guide those planes to a safe landing somewhere out of New York? So many people died in those buildings and in those planes that day. Do people honestly believe that God would intervene to allow one man to survive, while letting thousands of innocents die? “God works in mysterious ways” is the common answer among those who can’t think for themselves. It’s the ultimate copout in a religious discussion.

Do I think A God Can Exist? – Yes of course I do, completely abandoning the idea wouldn’t be very smart on my part. However, to me the God of the bible is the religious equivalent of Santa Clause. In other words, I am 99% certain he does not exist. I am more inclined to believe in the existence of the God of Deistic beliefs. Deism – The belief that God exists and created the world but takes no part in its functioning. With all of the suffering in the world, poverty, murder, starvation, if a loving God does exist, (and it certainly cannot be proven that he does or does not) wouldn’t it make sense for him to put an end to this senseless violence and suffering? Arguments of human free will are usually made to counter my point, but how effective are such arguments when their main catalysts do not exist? In this case the main catalyst of the free will argument is, obviously free will, which brings me to my 4th reason why I don’t believe in God.

4.) Freewill and omniscience – It has long been believed by Christians that free will was a gift from God. Freewill is our ability to do as we choose, and omniscience is a deity’s ability to know all: past, present, and future. But how can I have the freewill to choose a course of action, when said course of action was long ago predicted by the omniscient being? In other words, I have no choice but to do what God predicted I would do. If I die an unlawful sinner, how can God condemn me to eternal damnation when he already knew of my sins before they were committed? Let’s go back to the supposed beginning of man on earth, the fictional story of Adam and Eve. Did God not know that Eve would take a bite out of that fruit, and in doing so seal their fate? The rules of omniscience say yes, he did know, but if he knew all along then why forbid Adam & Eve from entering the Garden of Eden?

5.) This isn’t really a reason why I don’t believe in God, it’s more of an irritant. There is a reason why belief in God, Gods and religion is called a faith. That reason is that such beliefs are not proven fact. So it boggles my mind when I see, or read of religious apologists arguing in favor of God’s existence, and attempting to prove it as something other than a purely subjective belief unsubstantiated by any level of credible evidence. The point of number 5 is that the existence of God cannot be proved, granted, neither can it be disproved. But you wouldn’t exactly go out of your way to disprove the existence of the boogeyman would you? However, if someone claimed to have seen the boogeyman, on whose shoulder’s would the burden of proof lie? Not the skeptic’s, that’s for sure.

6.) Omnipotence, Omnipresence and Omniscience are attributed to the God of the bible, but perhaps another term better suited for him is Incompetence. Why would such an advanced being choose such a primitive people to relay his message to? Why would he allow his words to be skewed, mistranslated and used as justifications for murder and violence? Moreover, why would such as perfect God allow stories to be kept from the bible, see Lilith, Adam’s first woman. Wouldn’t it make sense, if he truly wanted us to believe, to let his voice be heard, literally, as a loud voice in the sky or something of that sort? He’s omnipotent after all, so he can assuredly do such a thing. Even further, it makes no sense that such a powerful God would actually care whether I, an ant in comparison, believed in him or not.

7.) The God of the bible displays childish human characteristics such as jealously and anger, but yet everybody tells me that God is well beyond the realm of human understanding.

8.) Idiots – Religion has certainly given birth to some of the biggest idiots in the history of humankind. I cannot count how many times I’ve come across a story in which parents allowed their child to die of a treatable illness because receiving medical attention was forbidden by their religious beliefs. A seething hatred of homosexuals, and refusal to allow them the right of marriage is also another type of idiocy religion breeds. While protesting against gays, a Christian extremist said about homosexuals, and I quote “I don’t hate them, God hates them”. This footage can be found in Bill Maher’s documentary “Religulous”. The extreme pro-lifers are another brand of stupid people fueled, sometimes to murderous extent, by religion. What is ironic about that though is, like is often said, they fight valiantly for the life of the unborn, but think nothing of murdering an already living abortion doctor. Another claim by religious apologists, who obviously know nothing of what they’re talking about, is that America was founded as a Christian nation. *snip*

Stop crying because I only attack Christianity. I don’t only attack Christianity; I attack organized religion as a whole. Christianity gets the brunt of my criticism because it is the most prevalent in America, my country of birth. But in all actuality, I see no difference between Islam, Christianity, monotheistic, and polytheistic religions. They’re all in the same boat as far as lack of evidence is concerned.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Continued

And now to dispel certain myths about atheists that are abound on the Internet. No I am not a demon, and I don’t know the devil. I am not his evil offspring and nor do I believe he exists. I am not a part of an evil conspiracy to destroy all organized religions, though I would like to see them destroyed Anger at God did not turn me towards atheism, I’d have to believe God exists to be mad at him. I am a moral person, and I don’t need a God to tell me that murder, and stealing is wrong. Simple common sense has brought me to that conclusion. I don’t want nothing of mine stolen, I know how it feels so it is not something I’d want to bestow upon another.

When it comes down to it, I have zero qualms with those who believe in God, unless they’re of the extremist persuasion. The purpose of this was merely to show why I don’t believe in God, not to convert others to my point of view. To those far more experienced in this subject, obviously I didn’t cover anything new, it has all been discussed to death over the course of hundreds of years. I am proud to say that everything I covered, I came to by my own accord, by my own thinking and without aid, for the most part anyway.

As it stands, this is an unfinished copy, I do plan on adding a bit more to this in the future… but God really gets on my nerves sometimes so I’m taking a small break lol…

www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com

[edit on 9-4-2009 by AlexG141989]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
What ever you think about this stuff, the people who run society all believe in higher entities. This is why the conspiracy to bring in the nwo, does not change, with new people coming in.

Humans are all spiritual beings, and if you have never had any spiritual experinces in your life, you must be an empty person, because with out some spiritual guidance we all just material beings.

Its a shame that society and science is trying to take the place of god, and maybe they will, as they believe do it. It will be a shame if that day comes, and maybe it is here already.

I personally have ahd an absolute sh1t adult life, and people trying to destroy me, but my faith has kept me going, and without it, i would not be here.

So do you understand even that, if you do not bewlieve, that is your choice, but it has helped me, and many others. Without christianity western society would not be where it is today, no matter what you think.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Humans are all spiritual beings, and if you have never had any spiritual experinces in your life, you must be an empty person, because with out some spiritual guidance we all just material beings.

Young humans have, i think, mostly experienced something "religious" or "spiritual" as you call it. (But i think it involves believeing in monsters under the bed etc) In any case, many figures out that it can be explained through science, or they realize that they have an imagination, and that it might just be IT, that played with their heads :p

Its a shame that society and science is trying to take the place of god, and maybe they will, as they believe do it. It will be a shame if that day comes, and maybe it is here already.

You want us to take your word for it, or do you have any reasons to say this?

Without christianity western society would not be where it is today, no matter what you think.

Oh i think everyone, without a doubt also believe that. (I cant even begin to imagine where we'd be)

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Daniem]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

I think its healthy for you to explore your own possibility of being an atheist. Its not something you have done before so its an exploration of the self.

Now, on to 1-8:

1.) In all the time man has existed on this blue planet -which can be compared to an astronomical blink of an eye- man has created thousands of Gods.

How do you know that man has created thousands of Gods??? What if there is a God and because he is beyond comprehension, we have man trying to explain the unexplainable? I think perhaps instead of looking at "religions" and "man's idea" of God ....which comes and goes, is born then dies and becomes replaced by the next "newest thing" ....let's perhaps look at that the idea of a God has never died and continues to thrive no matter what.

2.)....fascination with Gods and placing them as substitute explanations for that which we have no scientific answer. Simply put, just because we don’t know how something works, doesn’t mean God did it…

You say that as if it is an absolute. Im sure many "religious" folks who dont understand something attribute it to God. But what if God is there and science hasn't caught up yet? What if everything including you, was a part of a God ...then it would be difficult to realize the whole for what it is when we are all busy with the parts.

3.)why did he not intervene during 9/11

perhaps what we view as disaster and death as "the end ...really isn't so in the grand scheme of things. Its like driving to work. We know there is a risk of a car accident due to other drivers, weather conditions, automobile conditions, but we still go. Perhaps being her eon earth is also like that .....and death isn't really the end for your consciousness.

if a loving God does exist, (and it certainly cannot be proven that he does or does not) wouldn’t it make sense for him to put an end to this senseless violence and suffering?

Is explained many ways, free will, fate, destiny, etc. You can also say that without one we cant experience the other. Without death, we wouldnt know life, without suffering we wouldn't know happiness. All of us eventually get to experience the smorgasborg or dualities, non of which can be known without its counterpart.

Also we can say existence is experiencing every possible possibility. Hence evil and suffering has to have the ability to exist. Is it the path of least resistance??? Perhaps not, so we can say that existence is playing out all these possibilities for it to be able to reach a prime level of being .....it will eventually reach a utopia. Philosophically speaking of course.

4.) Freewill and omniscience

God can know all things and the future and you still have free will. If you watch a taped nfl game. In the game you are watching, you know the quarterback is gonna throw into the endzone ...but at that time in reality, he still had various choices to choose from as far as where ad to whom to throw the ball.

As for garden of eden .....dont just accept 1 form of Christianity's explanation of it. You can find similar "tales" in Islam, hinduism, buddhism. Take everything into consideration when it comes to this story.

Perhaps its poetry on how it all went down, perhaps it was Adam writing what happened from his perspective. Its funny that Adam was told to not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Implying that in man's original state, man knew himself, women, a garden, existence, and God. Man was unaware of the duality of Good and Evil and perhaps other dualities as well.

If God knew Adam would eat from the tree, perhaps anyone else(me, you, steve, mike, john) would also eventually eat from it one way or another. It would be an inevitability and so it is the way it is.

If I die an unlawful sinner, how can God condemn me to eternal damnation when he already knew of my sins before they were committed?

Perhaps thats just one of the characteristics of being born on this planet. Rules are; you will have a body, you will be limited by this body and by other things, and you will eventually sin and be a sinner ...or you will be born a sinner. Of course if you follow Xtianity ...then Jesus took care of sin for all time and for everybody. Perhaps its a universal covering.

5.) it’s more of an irritant. There is a reason why belief in God, Gods and religion is called a faith.

Yeah but you have people who are claiming that on the spiritual path, you can go beyond faith and into a place called "knowing" God and "experiencing" God. In my book, if this is so then we would have to both agree that very few ever get to beyond faith ....or perhaps the ones that are "there" are the ones defending this all saying they know its 100% true

another term better suited for him is Incompetence. Why would such an advanced being choose such a primitive people to relay his message to? Why would he allow his words to be skewed, mistranslated and used as justifications for murder and violence?

How do you know this is God allowing these things to be this way and not people? Does God kill in the name of God or do people kill in the name of God. Is a gun good or bad? If a child molester uses a gun to kill his victim the gun is bad? If a cop uses the gun to find that molester and kills him the gun is good?

I agree we are primitive, but perhaps we are important in the grand scheme. Perhaps we are beyond primitive and haven't realized it yet ...in that case we would be important.

7.) The God of the bible displays childish human characteristics such as jealously and anger, but yet everybody tells me that God is well beyond the realm of human understanding.

What if the authors of the Bible thought God was displaying human childish characteristics and wrote their perspectives. Then their perspectives would be true ....but not the whole truth. For example in some sections of the Bible, the people are saying, "Hooray God is on our side because we won the war." But then when they lose they say, "oh we must have not been good to God and so we have to go back and pray more."

It would be a perspective ...but somebody reading it, like any book, would get sucked in and say, yeah God does side with the Jews and with no other nationality.

8.) Idiots

Extremely stereotypical. Ur using a few examples to describe the whole. I have an atheist friend I work with and he likes to drink. I still don't go and say all atheists are a bunch of lousy drunks. Be careful with stereotyping in philosophical discussions.

We can find idiots under every label and in every category. The movie “Religulous” plays the "stereotype" angle. You can do that with any subject/object and only pick out the loons and make the subject/object look like its represented by a bunch of loons. On the other side we have Ben Stein's film "Expelled." Shows how there is a hidden agenda to keep out ID out of science and the educational fields. Many from those fields came out to say Stein stereotyped a few for the whole.

They’re all in the same boat as far as lack of evidence is concerned.

I will agree I think organized religion is a bunch of crap, money hungry, corrupt, bs. But we still have to keep in mind there are individuals walking around in religions and without religion saying that they are "experiencing" and "knowing" God.

It's not objective proof, but its proof to those who are "experiencing" and "knowing" if what they say is true. Not only that, but there are quite a few people around the world that have claimed this, both religious and non-religious.

This is important ...because if we are going to find God, we have to first look to who is claiming God beyond simple faith.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The number one reason you shouldn't believe in "God" is still because the word and the concept have no clear meaning. Nobody can even define it. How can you be expected to believe in something no one can even define or understand?

That would be like asking you to believe in...
Do you believe in...

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Nohup]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Part 2:
So if these people are saying they have this, what do they have in common, what are their backgrounds, lets brain scan them, lets take lie detector tests to set aside the fakers, lets question them psychologically.

You see what I mean??? If there is a God and the proof is that there are a handful of people that past all these tests and indeed do know and are experiencing this entity ......then we would get much out of studying them.

If God exists then God's existence doesn't rely on who believes and who doesnt and which religion is right or whether there are any religion. None of that would matter, God would still "be"

I think you are asking good questions, it is showing growth. I dont agree with you 100% and I think you stereotyped and got stuck on only one perspective in certain subjects ...but overall its this kind of questioning you would need in order to move forward and see for yourself if such a being really is.

I think your stereotyping is a trap that won't allow you to examine these things from multiple perspectives. If I never had ice cream and saw it for the first time that a giant fat guy was eating it ...for me to assume that I would also be like him for trying it is a fault.

If you can let go of the stereotyping and examine all of this openly then you can have more breakthroughs than if you filter everything.

To find out if God is real we would have to study every branch of theology and every person that claims God.

And if the proof is in the personal "experiencing" and the personal "knowing" then we would have to make a similar trek to be able to enter those same realms to see if "experiencing" God and "knowing" God really is what its experiencers are claiming it is.

Then once an skeptic got a taste, can he truly voice his opinion on what those experiences really are. Otherwise we are simply playing with speculations and if thats so then none of us(speculators) can say absolutely that God does not exist.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

The number one reason you shouldn't believe in "God" is still because the word and the concept have no clear meaning. Nobody can even define it.

Yeah but we can't define infinity in math and we still use it. We can't define consciousness but we still have it. We're not clear who's definition and perspective on any topic is correct, but we still listen to what eeryone has to say.

There are many things that are undefined and unclear and yet we still have it/them, experience it/them, taste it/them, exist, feel it/them

I feel your number one reason is flawed.

How can you be expected to believe in something no one can even define or understand? That would be like asking you to believe in... Do you believe in...

See above..... IS it possible to experience........ even if I can't define or understand...... ?

Is it possible to know your..... even if afterwards I will have no words or definitions to describe .....?

If so sign me up.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You should.

I don't mean believe the Bible and all it's written word...
But believe in a creator.

=)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I see 8 reasons you should pray. Satan is 'confusion" and obviously has placed such in your mind.

The greatest conspiriacy of all time is satan convincing the weak minded there is no God.

Simply take a breath, look beyond your own self, and see the wonders of God's creation.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Religion is no substitute for logic.

That was a nice read for me OP. I like your perspective.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There is no use in trying to speak about God to anyone who believes. It is at the same time the most admirable but irritating thing ever. If you somehow had absolute without a shadow of a doubt proof there was no god, they would still not believe it. Man has created life, which suppossidly only god can, but thats not good enough for proof.

It also bugs me how when the bible was "being written", miracles were a common everyday thing. Can you recall the last time you seen a miracle. And I really like the point about how can we have free will when our destiny has already been pre-determined.

Non believers always say they are open to the thought of a higher being as to not rule out anything, but believers wouldnt dare entertain the thought they are wrong, its closed minded, dangerous and ruining our society.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by stereovoyaged]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Originally posted by dominicus

How do you know that man has created thousands of Gods??? What if there is a God and because he is beyond comprehension, we have man trying to explain the unexplainable? I think perhaps instead of looking at "religions" and "man's idea" of God ....which comes and goes, is born then dies and becomes replaced by the next "newest thing" ....let's perhaps look at that the idea of a God has never died and continues to thrive no matter what.

Man has without a doubt created Gods, in their IMAGINATION. If there is only 1 god everywhere, but is invicible, undetectable, unmeasurable and uncomprehendable then too bad for him. That makes him just like the invented, imaginary gods. No reason to worship him.

What if everything including you, was a part of a God ...then it would be difficult to realize the whole for what it is when we are all busy with the parts.

What if, what if, WHAT IF. What if my god is and your isnt? Imagine whatever you want, but what if's isnt a good reason to believe YOUR god is any more real than other gods.

Its funny that Adam was told to not eat from the tree of knowledge

I dont find it funny at all to keep people in ignorance. This smells like a lesson to teach people to not ask questions, but just obey the chief.

Jesus took care of sin for all time and for everybody

Which means God came to earth in human form (jesus) to save us from God not forgiving us, so he did a "great" sacrifice (he knew he'd get eternal life), by giving up his human form. And now he can forgive us. (?!)

Does God kill in the name of God or do people

Well, he did drown everyone on earth except Noah & company. And yes people kill abit also, yes.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
When I look at how cruel nature is, I begin to hate creation all together.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Man has without a doubt created Gods, in their IMAGINATION. If there is only 1 god everywhere, but is invincible, undetectable, unmeasurable and uncomprehendable then too bad for him. That makes him just like the invented, imaginary gods. No reason to worship him.

No, most "religions" say God can be detected all around us. Incomprehensible ...also no because most "religions" say God is incomprehensible only to logic and reason ...but can be grasped via love, intuition, transcendence.

Im just saying what they say. No reason to worship him ...ok I hear you on that ...but what if we are integrally all part of God???

What if, what if, WHAT IF. What if my god is and your isnt? Imagine whatever you want, but what if's isnt a good reason to believe YOUR god is any more real than other gods.

Im posing "what if" to everyone reading this so that no one stays in a defined set of beliefs. Dont stay stagnant. Question everything. Seek everything out for yourself directly. Don't believe or accept something cause someone else says it. What if is specifically formulated to rock boats and threaten the very existence of what you think you are and what you think is right and wrong.

I dont find it funny at all to keep people in ignorance. This smells like a lesson to teach people to not ask questions, but just obey the chief.

You are seeing it as a command from a chief. I see it as a warning like don't play with fire. If you play with fire you get burned, it hurts, you regret it, need treatment, hospital bills, scars and disfigurement.

We grow older and then we say, "oh yeah, our parents were right." Then we become parents and our kids dont want to listen either until they become older and wiser and see that we were right all along.

Which means God came to earth in human form (jesus) to save us from God not forgiving us, so he did a "great" sacrifice (he knew he'd get eternal life), by giving up his human form. And now he can forgive us. (?!)

This was directed at the OP because he has a Xtian background and can understand what I mean. For you it would be more like all the numbers of infinity got so wrapped up in their individuality of being numbers, that they forgot about Infinity. And so Infinity sends another number of itself to remind all the forgetful numbers that they are a part of it.

Well, he did drown everyone on earth except Noah & company. And yes people kill abit also, yes.

That's the author's perspective that God killed everyone in a flood. Just like an author saying that "God is on our side because we won the war" its the same perspective.

What really could have happened was God knew there was gonna be a big flood and gave everyone a warning but only Noah took it serious. We dont know the whole story we only have the authors perspective. Plus the author says the whole world was flooded ...that was his perspective. But geologists aren't finding proof of a worldwide flood all over the world ...so we have to keep perspective in perspective.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This thread should be titled 8 reasons why I don't believe in religion.
Most of these issues have everything to do with religious dogma and little to do with the creative force of the universe.

This is not to say that I do not agree with you. Personally, aside from money, religion has been the most destructive institution in human history. Any religion. The Creative Force of the universe is not relegated to the opinion of any man/woman anywhere. The idea that a God of the Universe we exist in can be dumbed down to a set of rules prescribed by zealots is ridiculous to me.

God, on the other hand, is proven by science every day. Even if people don't realize it.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
There are many things that are undefined and unclear and yet we still have it/them, experience it/them, taste it/them, exist, feel it/them

I feel your number one reason is flawed.

You still failed to define exactly what it is we're supposed to believe in. You only presented the case that it's possible to believe in nothing. Is God nothing?

You talk about experience and feelings. You can choose to define a feeling as "God" if you want. A lot of people tend to equate God with that physiological energized feeling that you get from unknowing, like when you're walking in the dark. As for myself, I prefer to just call that a feeling, and still don't see how it's connected in any way with some kind of infinite supernatural entity that supposedly (and paradoxically) has will, and wants, and a personal interest in all living and dying things.

I still basically don't know what this "God" is supposed to be. Don't have a clue.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

Your first mistake is assuming that fostering a belief in God means practicing Christianity.

There are many notions I held in my late teens that I have since abandoned.

1. None of those gods was a Creator. Christians don't worship the same god that Jews and Muslims worship. You make an interesting point though: the stories of the "gods" in these religions is similar to those of past gods. Research it and you will notice.

2. We're gonna quietly wait for you to come up with an explanation, then. Mainstream science has already shown itself to be imperfect.

3. It is selfish to assume that God has to save everybody to prove that he exists. He is not bound by that obligation, nor does he make that promise. You're obvious not well-versed about the events of September 11, 2001. Browse through the other parts of this website. You misspelled Santa Claus, which demonstrates your understanding.

4. The point is to assume responsibility for your own actions. Just because Christianity doesn't make sense doesn't mean that you should become a ruthless outlaw.

5. Science is a form of faith.

6. You obviously have very little understanding of Christianity, or its history

7. That is religion

8. Just because religion is flawed doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. You should learn to think for yourself on other matters, like the true teaching of the Bible and Christianity, before going straight for the jugular and questionning whether or not God exists.

You have lots of work to do before anybody will take your claims seriously.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
1 Reason why I DO believe in God

1) Why not?

Ok, I'm being simplistic. The main reason is that I know, that I know, that I know. BUT that's my belief. Can I prove it? No, that's what 99% of it is - faith in something you can't put into everyday words and yet something so profound inside you just 'know'.

So, let's say I have it all wrong.... I die, so what? I have lived the life I want to live, loved others more than myself and all is good.
Let's say I have it right - I get all of the above PLUS I get to be with God.

Ok, now let's say I don't believe...
Either, I have exactly the same as scenario 1, or I die and spend an eternity without God?

Makes no sense to me (unless of course you want to live a life where you put yourself before others).... but again down to me it's simply because I know that I know that I know that I know.....

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Well you know you make a great point...But the title is misleading..This is really about religion. No one feels they NEED religion. But many need a faith in God. I find that healthy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join