It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does revenge heal victims?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is based on a discussion I had with a member here.

He says that when a victim gets revenge, such as say, the family of a woman getting satisfaction out of seeing their daughters' rapist get raped by a bunch of men, it makes them feel better.

I respectfully disagree; I think it might make them feel better for a little while, but in the end, it does nothing to ease their pain. If you kill a killer, their victims won't be revived to life.

If they were brought back to life, of course I would support the death penalty! But they're not, and any satisfaction the victims' families might get from it will be short-lived.

So what do you think - is Revenge good?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
If it is about revenge - it is pointless, murder victim is not going to return for example if the murderer is killed too.
but if it is about justice - then the story is different. Relatives who know that justice has been done will definetly be more content with loss.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
If it is about revenge - it is pointless, murder victim is not going to return for example if the murderer is killed too.
but if it is about justice - then the story is different. Relatives who know that justice has been done will definetly be more content with loss.

But what is justice?

I do think that the punishment should bring peace to the victims. Like for example, I don't think the Greyhound bus beheader should EVER be out of custody.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I guess if rapists got savagely raped they would probably stop raping.
The "Law" has been in the way of true justice, and that is the underlying eternal insatisfaction of the victim.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HulaAnglers

I guess if rapists got savagely raped they would probably stop raping.

Would they though? What if they're so broken they can't possibly care about other peoples' pain?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
For many that have lost those they care for and have served with, from my experience, it only leaves you cold and empty. Yes justice can be served, but it cannot replace those that have been lost. Life is not a reality show.

If only we could go back and make sure some things never happened the world would be a better place. But we must do with what we have.

my two cents

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
For many that have lost those they care for and have served with, from my experience, it only leaves you cold and empty. Yes justice can be served, but it cannot replace those that have been lost. Life is not a reality show.

If only we could go back and make sure some things never happened the world would be a better place. But we must do with what we have.

my two cents

respectfully

reluctantpawn

So true. That's why I think justice is just about preventing further damage. It's not about payback. You can't pay them back.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

This is like asking if 'negativity' can ever produce 'positive' results.

Or, another way to say it is, 'like fighting fire with fire.'

Not likely at all to ever 'improve' anything.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Sometimes revenge does heal it's victims.

When I was younger, my brother beat the living crap out of me, probably up until I was about 15.

Then he went to trade school for 2 years.

When he came back I was 6'3". He proceeded to tell me to F myself so I picked him up and threw him accross the room where he was hurt upon landing and has shoulder pain to this day from it. That was the last time he messed w/ me. We are great friends now.

I am healed.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yes. It can. However, that is dependent on many factors....mainly the person who is taking out the revenge. Im sure it harms some and heals some.

So while it may help me, it might not help you.

I have taken out revenge in my past, and it sure did help me - a lot.

[edit on 4/9/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Throughout my life, I have experienced such terrible things that most people would consider the incidents "life ruiners", though I rarely ever seen it that way, even when the incident took place.

But, what is amazing to me is that every person that I know of that has wronged me in a major way, is in a much worse place today. People do things out of desperation, jealousy and hate. They live with their actions for their rest of their life, and believe it or not, most pieces of #, know they are pieces of # and don't really enjoy it.

I take refuge in the thought that people get what they deserve, everytime.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I've done some work on that subject last summer and it's proven that revenge does not produce any visible change in subjects. Traumatic events create connections between brain centers that process emotions and memory. Those connections cannot be broken but can be modified. Anything that reinforces that connection (revenge, rage, hate, etc...) does not help relieve symptoms (stress, anxiety...) but forgiveness does because it changes the connection to a more complex process that requires the input of the victim (who forgives) and thus gets control over the traumatic event/brain connection (they are the same).

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
There are so many victims in society, so where is the justice for them. The police can murder anyone, just how many crimes have that job title brought to the world. Victims will never get peace in this society, so stop trying to make up that revenge and that and this will heal them. Victims just want to be left alone.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Protostellar

When I was younger, my brother beat the living crap out of me, probably up until I was about 15.

Then he went to trade school for 2 years.

When he came back I was 6'3". He proceeded to tell me to F myself so I picked him up and threw him accross the room where he was hurt upon landing and has shoulder pain to this day from it. That was the last time he messed w/ me. We are great friends now.

I am healed.

Was it the revenge that healed you, or the forgiveness?
btw my brother beat me too, lol

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
There are so many victims in society, so where is the justice for them. The police can murder anyone, just how many crimes have that job title brought to the world. Victims will never get peace in this society, so stop trying to make up that revenge and that and this will heal them. Victims just want to be left alone.

As I have said in my previous post, the "law" interferes with true justice, but yet they profit gravely while the victim is rendered powereless and shunned by the rest of society because it is wounded. Downward spiral for some.

I find revenge is a dirty word, it has been vulgarised by spoiled little bullies who did not get what they wanted.

I have been noticing you gravitating to the same type of thread as me, I have noticed you are also overwhelmed by the same things that I have been subjected to, in time I can assure you that being the "victim" is an honor, you must be a really special person, especially if you have not hurt anyone. I am totally creative and I love my vibe! You should really start feeding your spirit - we need you strong and we need you to be!

Sometimes we are addicted to our pain and same old story.

Peace to YOU Andy

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
And if that guy got raped, then his family would also be suffering. If everyone got revenge then it would grow like a pryimid scheme.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I 'swear' - everything's always a debate around here

reply to comment by Protostellar

reply to comment by greeneyedleo

Yes. It can.

Who can deny there's something orgasmic and 'deeply satisfying' in lashing out in 'righteous anger?'

But the 'bad news' is that such negativity can never produce 'positive' outcomes.

The reasons for this are quite logical, and indeed 'scientific.' The reasoning is by no means complicated, and becuase it 'actually works' in terms of 'resolving conflict' and reducing the 'isolation of individuals' from one another, this simple truth has been 'carefully hidden' from us ( although I'm sure it's all been 'accidental'
).

But, hints are 'out there,' and have been for a long time. Consider the following -

Turning the other cheek

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
—Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

Source : Wikipedia

This great master, Jesus of Nazereth, did not just 'make up' this 'aphorism' out of 'thin air.' There are definate 'theoretical reasons' why his 'spiritual advice' is 'rock solid' and 'entirely reliable.'

It has been said, and repeatedly -

The real war lies within for each of us.

It is each individual's 'responsibility' to fight this 'internal war' which takes place in his/her own 'theatre of the mind.'

Justifying the selfish indulgence of 'lashing out in revenge' just so we can feel the 'immediate relief' of 'orgasmic satisfaction' simply 'externalizes' this conflict, which should actually be 'resolved' within ourselves.

Hence, all these 'externalized conflicts' ( multiplied by about 6-billion ) create the obviously 'rising temperature' of conflict in our world 'at large.'

Another way to look at it is -

If you plant a thistle seed, don't expect a lilly-of-the-valley to sprout.

So, I know it's 'bad news' to realize that the 'relief of orgasmic release' when based on a negative karma ( skt : 'action' ) is never positive, that does not change the fact of the matter.

Good luck !

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HulaAnglers

I was a victim all my life and people never stopped wanting to destroy my life. Revenge never came into my mind, but the people did so many things to my life, it still has not stopped today.

The way i look at it, society deserve the scum that wrecked my life, and if you want those people in society than fair enough. Females can do whatever they want to you, and make it all up and society loves to destroy males. People are pure scum, and like i said above i want nothing to do with these things.

People have vendettas against you for no reason in this society and you want nothing to do with them. When i see this thread, i see things like what about males that did nothing and society wanted to wreck them, and did thsi to them. the females that abuse the system should e in prison or a mental hospital, as they a real danger to people.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

My brother is a rapist darling, if he got it good it would actually liberate the women in this family, he is a dangerous threat to all of us, do not ever question his self entitlement...he is 7ft tall and society has not put him away. I as a family member have been paying for him, and my little sister too, so rejoice we have been raped repededly! This is the sick type of justice/karma here on earth.

I have no mercy left, what you do on to others should be done to you in the briefest delay possible, and if you have not been a victim you cannot ever measure the grave consequences imposed by another's transgressions.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by HulaAnglers

I was a victim all my life and people never stopped wanting to destroy my life. Revenge never came into my mind, but the people did so many things to my life, it still has not stopped today.

The way i look at it, society deserve the scum that wrecked my life, and if you want those people in society than fair enough. Females can do whatever they want to you, and make it all up and society loves to destroy males. People are pure scum, and like i said above i want nothing to do with these things.

People have vendettas against you for no reason in this society and you want nothing to do with them. When i see this thread, i see things like what about males that did nothing and society wanted to wreck them, and did thsi to them. the females that abuse the system should e in prison or a mental hospital, as they a real danger to people.

Well you are lucky, at least you can find peace with men, unfortunately I have been hurt by both genders.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join