It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A-10's are ANNOYING!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I live outside of Destin, FL which is near Eglin A.F.B.

Every mid-morning I hear the thunderous roar from the turbines of F-15's & F-16's with full afterburners engaged as they practice their dog-fighting maneuvers above my home.

Often, I will walk out in my back yard with my binoculars and watch with delight as the boys jockey for premium position in their incredible high G mid-air dance.

Yesterday, as I was driving along the road on the north side of Choctawhatchee Bay and watched as soldiers from either the 7TH Special Forces Group or 6TH Ranger Training Battalion(not sure which it was) performed training exercises in their Zodiacs.

Almost every day the pounding shock-waves from bombs exploding in live fire exercises shake the house and scare the hell out of my dogs.

One thing that I can say with utter conviction is that I would NEVER describe ANY of the equipment or training exercises as "ANNOYING" even if I have really tied one on the night before and am hurting with a horrific hangover, needing uninterrupted sleep.

I will forevermore find it supremely more annoying to listen to an idiot politician spew blathering bullsh**!

But of course...that is just my opinion

p.s. I am stoked to know I soon shall get to watch the maneuvers/dogfights when the new F-35 JSF wing arrives!

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Snisha]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

You're welcome.

Try 227.8 also, that's the frequency for the 303 Tactical Fighter Squadron base operations. The pilots report back to Whiteman, once they are finished at the range, with any problems that they may have with the aircraft. I've heard a couple of the pilots declare an emergency with things like hydraulic failures and jammed cannons.

The gunnery range they use at Fort Leonard Wood is open to the public and makes for some good entertainment:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
That is far and away the greatest plane ever built...

Now if ya want some noise...nothing like a B52 taking off right by your house...ooooh yeah

GODDESS I miss that sound

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
One of the coolest things I experienced while in the service was CAS training (close air support) we were on a live fire range and woud call in fire missions to the A-10 pilot's coordinating directly with them via raido, let me tell you when they come in for a strafing run and the cannon fires it shakes your very core and I swear the groung shakes! very cool plane indeed.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

Let me think.

You bought a house near an AFB.

An AFB implies flying aircraft.

And you're bitching about flying aircraft at an AFB?

I really, really don't understand . . .

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I agree with the Dooper.

A-10's are sexy. Damed UGLY, but sexy in ways you can't begin to comprehend.

A friend of mine in Afghanistan had the pleasure of having these aircraft on call for CAS and boy he just loved calling them in.

He said that rockets [Mavericks] and bombs were just the dog's dangly bits but what he loved the most, was when the pilots went in with 30 milly.

One 30 mm round hitting the target every half an inch!

Just be thankfull they are helping to preserve your freedom of speech!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Those pilots sit in a metal shell. That aircraft can take a ton of small arms fire. They train the pilots by making them sit in galvanized garbage cans while people beat on the cans with baseball bats.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
DON'T BE DISSIN A-10'S!! THEY ARE FREEKIN' BEEEYOOOOTEEFULLL!!'

I love to hear aricraft overhead. I live 2 miles from Sikorsky and they fly over my house for testing and delivery all the time. If your that pi**ed about lving there I'll gladly move in!!LOL

ZIndo

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Snisha and I live a few miles apart near Eglin AFB, and with Hurlburt Field nearby too, we get to see most everything in the Air Force inventory.

I can look up at any given time and see F-15's, F-16's, Ospreys, C-130 Gunships, and next week we're getting a visit from our first F-35. We're going to be the flight training center here.

We're due to get the 7th Special Forces group here next year, and we have the Ranger Training camp on Eglin.

We had the MOAB developed here, and dropped here, where it rattled windows for many miles around. Yesterday I heard some of the largest explosions to date. And not just a few. Sounded a bit different, possibly fine-tuning some thermobaric stuff.

The A-10 is unique. She may not be the prettiest girl present, but to infantrymen, she's the Belle of the Ball. Every time the AF tries to get rid of it, they are quickly reminded that NOTHING, and I mean nothing has their capabilities.

Ask any combat infantryman what his favorite plane is. They love the A-10's, and the A-10 pilots likewise hold a close affinity with the grunts on the ground.

All that noise? All those explosions? Those afterburners? That ripping sound as the tear through the air?

The sound of freedom and security.

God I love it.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
They are a useful asset, and I've used them more than once for CAS. They are a great piece of kit if used correctly.

If I were you, I wouldn't be complaining about the noise. I think that the more time these pilots get in training the better. If you think they're annoying, just think how these guys feel -

Close one

Even closer

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
I agree with the Dooper.

A-10's are sexy. Damed UGLY, but sexy in ways you can't begin to comprehend.

""

Just be thankfull they are helping to preserve your freedom of speech!

I completely agree, it's like my friend says about my English Bull Dog "She's so ugly she's cute". On a side note one day I was graced by 2 A-10s flying directly over my house (in southwest Arkansas) at about 200 feet fully opened up and the sound and reflection off the pond was amazing, still etched in my head. I will never complain about military training exercises as long as innocent lives are not directly in danger.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I was a ground pounder from 85 to 93. Loved that close air support.

When I joined up we still had jeeps, Hueys , m-60 machine guns, steel pots, OD green fatigues and A-10s.

The rest of that stuff is gone but those Warthogs are still flyin.

Beautiful. . . . . . Freakin beautiful.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The A-10 is simply one of the finest jet powered CAS airframe ever created

From the 30mm Avenger, to the manual revision flight mode that allows for controll even if the hudraulics are shot away to the titanium bathtub that surrounds the pilot, these are increadible machines

MBF

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
We had F-4's that would use our grain bins for targets. They would shake everything.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join