It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A-10's are ANNOYING!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ok so we are on spring break, and I live at Lake of The Ozarks close to Whiteman AFB in Knobnoster, MO, and they practice over the lake all the time. My house is close to a bridge they practice locking on to or whatever they do on it and they have been doing it since 9:30am (it's 11:15am now). They get so low I can hear the fans in the jet..... It really is a neat sight, but when they buzz my house at 500 feet or so, for 2 hours, it really gets old. It's just like thunder...they rattle the windows and everything. I think I am going to try to get a video of them.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by USamf]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by USamf

If you have a scanner, punch in 255.4. I believe this is a military frequency to the Columbia Flight Service Station that the A-10s use when they're not flying IFR. You can usually hear them reporting their speed, altitude, and destination when they are flying between Whiteman and Fort Leonard Wood.

Is it the Community Bridge or Osage River bridge?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by USamf

I feel your pain man!

IRM

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Perhaps you would find the noise less annoying if you were pinned down and under fire in some nowhere country. Long live the sound of freedom!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I am sure the military thought the same exact thing about them being annoying. That's why they invented the silent triangle that seems to hover in mid air without sound.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What Heracat said. That could be the sweetest sound you've ever heard. Enjoy it we're the only guy's who have em.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Boone 870

Well, it is between the Community bridge and Grand Glaize bridge on the main channel. They go back and fourth from state park area to each bridge. Thanks for the info on the channel!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Jet Noise. The sound of freedom.

The A-10 is the most beautiful sight ever seen by ground pounders under fire. It's one of the ugliest planes ever built, but it's such an amazing plane. Takes a beating and gets home.

I suggest you just learn to tune it out, because they have to train, and this sounds like a good area to train for them.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It really is. They practice on the bridges and get down to about 100ft over the water during the week. I think they also practice by the dam and over by some cliffs in the hills.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I lived on an A10 base for 4 years. I dont find them annoying. In fact I miss hearing and seeing them. I guess they could be annoying for those not used to them.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
For those planes not looking very aerodynamic, they can sure manuver. I was reading up on them on the net and they can survive about anything. One such case was a lost wing, a lost engine and damaged tail....he made it home safely. They depict the cockpit area to be a titanium bathtub...how cool.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by USamf
For those planes not looking very aerodynamic, they can sure manuver. I was reading up on them on the net and they can survive about anything. One such case was a lost wing, a lost engine and damaged tail....he made it home safely. They depict the cockpit area to be a titanium bathtub...how cool.

Yeah, they are amazing to watch but I know are a pain in the arse to work on and load.

Seriously, after 4 years and being away from them for almost 2 years....I really miss them!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

Be glad they're A-10s and not F-16s or F-15s. If you think A-10s are bad, a flight of Vipers or Strike Eagles would move your house 3 feet to the left as they pull off the target.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hey! If they're that close and that consistant get some video! I'm sure I'm not the only one around here that would love to see it.

I love the smell of JP4 in the morning.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by USamf

Be glad they're A-10s and not F-16s or F-15s. If you think A-10s are bad, a flight of Vipers or Strike Eagles would move your house 3 feet to the left as they pull off the target.

Ah true true. Especially F16 engine runs at 2 am less then 1 mile from your bed. Grrrrrr

Not an A10, but shows you what I got to listen to for 4 years (A10 & F16 base)...will try and find some A10 footage I have.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 4/9/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
They usually do at least 1 flight a day, so for the next few days I will keep my camera out. These were designed and built during the cold war to counter the massive amount of soviet tanks correct?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

While I can empathize with your plight, you living close to a military base, is in fact your fault, unless they built it after you moved there.

Yes, I can see that them practicing on the bridge at that low altitude is in fact, more than likely annoying, as I said, I can empathize.

They are of course practicing on real-world obstacles.

If you're really that upset about it, you can of course always write to the base commander.

Here's the contact website to the facility in question :

Whiteman Air Force Base : Knob Noster, Missouri : Contact Us

One bit of warning to you, being that you are writing to a military base, use respect, dignified language, and remember, it is the military. Stating your respectful complaint will get you a lot further than you coming across like a disrespectful citizen. After all, the A-10 is a tank-killer.

If you U2U me, I will be more than happy to help you formulate a nice form letter via e-mail.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

They were originally designed to destroy tanks in large numbers yes. They just went through a MASSIVE upgrade to the wing, and cockpit that means they'll be flying until about 2030 or so. They're the most amazing fixed wing aircraft for close air support ever built.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
No no, I'm not complaining. I know they need training I was just stating they practice ALOT. It's actually fun to watch them, in my original post...they woke me up, that is why it might have looked like complaining.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join